VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 03:21:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tweaking the Lite LiveCD  (Read 697 times)
trlkly

« on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:19 pm »

I'm basically just trying to make it where I don't have to manually put in cheat codes or edit my xorg.conf from text mode. But I can't figure out what file I need to edit to change the default menu options.

I have a 733Mhz P3 with only 128 Megs of memory that has been stuck running Windows 98. I still use it to update my Blackberry (barry is still too immature to handle the high load) and run a few programs that wine won't run. And with only 2 4GB hard drives and a lot of documents, I don't really have room for a full install until I'm absolutely sure and can do a complete overhaul.

This computer is plugged up to a standard def TV through a Radeon 7000. This is the first distro that hasn't blanked the screen. But it unfortunately defaults to either 1024x768 or higher, and the text is too blurry to be read. So I can't tell what I'm clicking on. I know from experience that 800x600 is usually legible, even if I prefer to use larger fonts at that resolution.

BTW, a file on the ISO mentions using a cheat code to set the default X resolution. But I can't get it to work. Does anyone know the proper format? I tried the codes from Knoppix, but they didn't work either.

Oh, and I'd like to run VNC on it by default, so I can access it from my main computer.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:28:51 pm »

I assume that you typed the word "vector" (w/o the quotes) before the cheat code? Also, the format for the cheat code for changing the default x resolution is listed differently on the VL6.0 Light live cd than on the VL5.9 SOHO live cd. If you have tried   vector 800  to change the resolution, try instead: vector res=800x600. That is the other format of the cheat code that I saw. About making it so that you don't have to enter the cheat codes every time you boot up, I am not sure about that but I think you would have to edit the isolinux.cfg file or the syslinux.cfg file, both of which are on the livecd. (Unless your cd is rewritable you won't be able to edit them directly on the cd though.)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
trlkly

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:52:18 pm »

I assume that you typed the word "vector" (w/o the quotes) before the cheat code? Also, the format for the cheat code for changing the default x resolution is listed differently on the VL6.0 Light live cd than on the VL5.9 SOHO live cd. If you have tried   vector 800  to change the resolution, try instead: vector res=800x600. That is the other format of the cheat code that I saw. About making it so that you don't have to enter the cheat codes every time you boot up, I am not sure about that but I think you would have to edit the isolinux.cfg file or the syslinux.cfg file, both of which are on the livecd. (Unless your cd is rewritable you won't be able to edit them directly on the cd though.)

Yeah I got my info from the 5.9 CD. That's probably part of the problem. I'd never seen a cheat code with a space in it, so I didn't understand what I was supposed to do

I don't believe you can change a file on a even a CD-RW without rewriting the entire ISO. If you know software that can edit an ISO without having to extract all the files and make a new ISO, I'd really appreciate it.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:38:57 am »

I don't believe you can change a file on a even a CD-RW without rewriting the entire ISO. If you know software that can edit an ISO without having to extract all the files and make a new ISO, I'd really appreciate it.

When you burn an ISO to a cd, it extracts the files from the ISO. So if you look at the files on the cd after you burn the ISO to it, those are the files that are in the ISO and (if it is a CD-RW) you should be able to edit the files on there. About editing an ISO, if you have not burned the ISO to a cd yet and you want to change a file, you can mount the ISO into the /mnt/loop folder by entering this command as root in a terminal:

mount -o loop /path/to/ISO /mnt/loop

After entering this command, you can go to the /mnt/loop folder in your file manager and see and edit all the files from the ISO. You can also just look at the files in an ISO by opening a terminal and typing mc. The mc file manager will start and then you can navigate to the ISO and mount and enter it by clicking on it just like you would to go into a folder. You can even use one of these methods to copy the contents of the ISO onto a cd instead of using a burning program. (I think the mount command is easier for this.)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: