VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:10:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very New to Linux Please Help me Install Vector  (Read 3631 times)
frank1e

« on: October 04, 2009, 07:46:02 pm »

I downloaded Vector Linux light 6 iso and Vector Linux Gold 6 also an iso file. I am running a computer with windows XP.  I have one hard drive with two partitions both ntfs.  The second partition I could change to ext3 with partition magic if needed. I know nothing about installing linux.  I am trying to keep windows xp on the c drive.  I guess im tyring to either install vector linux as dual boot with XP or on its own partition. How do I do this? Is there a way to do it by mounting the iso to a virtual drive? I really just have no idea how to install. Any help appreciated.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:03:26 pm »

Burn ISO to a CD/DVD and then boot from the VL CD/DVD. For the partition, allocate some free space either using partition magic or gparted.

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#installation
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:52:18 pm »

There are a number of screencasts here that may answer several of your questions.
Installation and partitioning tutorials for Vectorlinux.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
frank1e

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:40 pm »

Burn ISO to a CD/DVD and then boot from the VL CD/DVD. For the partition, allocate some free space either using partition magic or gparted.

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#installation

I need to get some blank cd's. I've been trying to do it off the harddrive.  There is a program that lets you mount an ISO image to a virtual drive that I've been using.  It mounts the iso image but I still don't see what to run to start the install.  No autoplay or whatnot.  Well I started running Bootinst.exe. but im not sure if its safe to use it. I have one harddrive. first partition is c and has win xp on it i want to keep that. 2nd partition is e: and is fat 32. or ntfs.  When I ran it it was unclear whether it would wipe out my entire c drive or if I ran it off E partition then it would install all it's mbr stuff to the e partition and not wipe out windows. arghh anyone understand what im getting at? can't go through with the install till I know Im not going to completly wreck my win install.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:14:47 pm »

When you trying to install linux along with windows in a same hard disk there is always a chances that the process with wipe out your whole hard disk. So be prepare for any unexpected incident, backup your data before you do it.
frank1e

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:29 pm »

Ok but that being said if I am running the install off e:/ (a partition of my only harddrive, not containting win xp which is on C:) would I generally be ok to run the install and not worry about c:\ being wiped out?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:03 pm »

Check out below tutorial for how to use VL to allocate free space for VL/any linux distro.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/MSdualboot/MSdualboot.htm

After you have prepare spare for VL, create 2 partition for VL. 1 is swap and other is / (root). You can create another partition for /home which you can store all your user data (optional). It would be helpful if you remember all the partition because when your installation start it will be helpful for you to not wrongly format your XP partition.

Use LILO as your boot loader and install it to your MBR. LILO should will auto detect your XP partition.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »

I currently have dual boots with VectorLinux and Windows XP on three computers and over the years I've had dual boots on several computers. I've never come close to wiping out Windows or being unable to start Windows.

You do need to know what partitions are what in Linux terms. Linux doesn't use drive letters like C or D. Linux uses things like /dev/hda (first hard drive), /dev/hdb (second hard drive), /dev/sda (SATA drive or SCSI drive), and also uses numbers to show what the partitions are on the drive, like /dev/hda1 (first primary partition on the first hard drive), /dev/hda5 (extended partition on the first hard drive). I recommend reading more about this before you start. If you just plunge in without knowing how Linux identifies partitions, you *could* mess up or wipe out Windows. People have done this. But if you understand Linux partitioning, you will not have problems.

When you install VectorLinux, you will be given the chance to use whatever partition you want for Linux and it will not bother Windows if you choose the right partition for your Linux installation. As part of the installation process, you will be given the chance to run a partitioning program. With the graphical installer offered with VL 6 Standard, the partitioning program is GParted, a very nice graphical program. With the text installer offered with VL6 Standard and the only option in VL6 Light, the program is cfdisk. It is a text program, not graphical, but is easy to use IF you understand how Linux identifies partitions. You don't need to use Partition Magic or similar if you want to use your Drive E for Linux. GParted or cfdisk will let you pick that partition, delete what's there now, and create a Linux swap partition of about 512 megs and use the rest for VectorLinux. The installer will then move on and let you pick your newly created partition and the file system you want on it (such as ext3 or reiserfs).
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:47:58 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
frank1e

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:42:36 pm »

I currently have dual boots with VectorLinux and Windows XP on three computers and over the years I've had dual boots on several computers. I've never come close to wiping out Windows or being unable to start Windows.

You do need to know what partitions are what in Linux terms. Linux doesn't use drive letters like C or D. Linux uses things like /dev/hda (first hard drive), /dev/hdb (second hard drive), /dev/sda (SATA drive or SCSI drive), and also uses numbers to show what the partitions are on the drive, like /dev/hda1 (first primary partition on the first hard drive), /dev/hda5 (extended partition on the first hard drive). I recommend reading more about this before you start. If you just plunge in without knowing how Linux identifies partitions, you *could* mess up or wipe out Windows. People have done this. But if you understand Linux partitioning, you will not have problems.

When you install VectorLinux, you will be given the chance to use whatever partition you want for Linux and it will not bother Windows if you choose the right partition for your Linux installation. As part of the installation process, you will be given the chance to run a partitioning program. With the graphical installer offered with VL 6 Standard, the partitioning program is GParted, a very nice graphical program. With the text installer offered with VL6 Standard and the only option in VL6 Light, the program is cfdisk. It is a text program, not graphical, but is easy to use IF you understand how Linux identifies partitions. You don't need to use Partition Magic or similar if you want to use your Drive E for Linux. GParted or cfdisk will let you pick that partition, delete what's there now, and create a Linux swap partition of about 512 megs and use the rest for VectorLinux. The installer will then move on and let you pick your newly created partition and the file system you want on it (such as ext3 or reiserfs).
--GrannyGeek

Thanks for the info, I got everything up and running finally. After 15 hours of reading and reinstalling I did finally learn all about linux partitions and swaps and what not =) Now im stuck trying to make my wireless adapter work and my network Sad
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:44:42 pm »

post your lspci, lsusb and lsmod
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: