VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:29:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 Light packages I installed  (Read 835 times)
dln9

« on: February 20, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »

I installed VL 6.0 Light. 

After I installed it, I chose to add some other packages via gslapt. 

Now I'm thinking, "If I should ever have to reinstall VL, I very conveniently have the iso image file on a CD.  But, how will I know which additional packages I installed, so I can reinstall them and get my system back to that ideal state I created?" 

Any ideas on a strategy and tools to accomplish this in VL? 

Thanks. 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

For this purpose I use "CloneZilla" to make an image of my hard drive (or root partition). This clone image can be put on a different partition, an external hard drive, USB drive or on another computer via the network.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »

Making an image file of your VL partition is the easiest way to preserve your system as it is now. When you restore the image, things will be exactly like they were when you created the image.

When you install a package with Gslapt or slapt-get, a copy of the tlz package file is put in /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages. You could copy that directory to removable media and could then reinstall the packages without needing to download them again.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
dln9

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:30:53 pm »

Granny, I have a followup question based on your kind response. 

Are the tlz packages in the directory you referenced *only* packages I manually downloaded via gslapt?  Or, will that directory also include packages that were installed during the original installation from the iso image file? 
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »

Are the tlz packages in the directory you referenced *only* packages I manually downloaded via gslapt?  Or, will that directory also include packages that were installed during the original installation from the iso image file? 

Those are only packages downloaded when using slapt-get or the graphical Gslapt package manager. Packages installed when you install the system are not copied to the hard drive (unlike some versions of Ubuntu, if I remember correctly).

Something I often do is change the path to the slapt-get package cache. You can do that by editing (with root access) /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc. I put the cache onto a removable drive, which means that it can be shared by more than one VL machine, and also gives me a bit of protection against problems on the local hard drive. Only problem with doing this is remembering to plug the removable drive in beofre starting Gslapt or slapt-get.

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: