VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 10:58:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sunlight  (Read 1415 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: September 28, 2009, 06:44:41 am »

But I do have one gripe.  I can't see my laptop screen very well when I'm out in the bright sunlight smoking a cigar (I put the money I save with linux into my cigar fund). I suppose my Microsoft friends (and I have some) will blame that on linux.

Anyway, when I had one of Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child computers, it was as easy to read the screen in the sunlight as in a closed room. As that computer was only $200 or so, I figured it would be cheap to buy a screen I could plug in when in sunlight.  Found one 12" for $2,600 and another for $7,000. Go figure.

Someone could make some money here.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:32 am »

I think it's general problem with laptops today. They make them with very glossy and reflective screens because it looks good. Outside however it's horrible, you'll need to hold it a very specific angle to make it usable. I've tried to use my Aspire one outside on a sunny winter day here in Oslo, hopeless. Give me a matt screen anyday!

Bjørnar

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »

Yes, in the commercials you can see people enjoying their laptops outside, but in reality it's difficult enough if you as much as wear a white t-shirt.

Unfortunately, if you want to enjoy the sun, you'd better bring a good old book and some sunglasses.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

Your complaint is the same reason that I have not gotten
a netbook.

LG created a LCD that can handle any type of light. This
was announced last December, the problem is that none
of the OEMs' have started using it.

I wait patiently for that day.

Bigpaws
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:44:02 am »

just place a non-flameable bedroom sheet over your head, that should do the trick!

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »

Good idea, flip city.  But the smoke gets pretty thick.  Thankfully, flameable or not, the cigar still burns holes in the sheet, so at least some of the smoke escapes.

I bought one of those mac gadgets that covers the screen and lets you sort of peep through it.  And its been cloudy, cold and windy ever since it arrived.  So I have no clue if it will help much.  Won't look as strange as a guy covered with a bedroom sheet with smoke coming out of the holes, though.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:36:02 am »

Ya..I wonder how many poor starving children are sitting on a rock in some god forsaken place with a laptop text messageing any one who will answer asking for a sandwich..instead of hot spots there should be some dark spots..around here you get a 500 dollar fine for smoking in public so a dark ally look pretty good if theres any service..maby I should just go to Mc Donalds for a salad before heading to my aroma theraputic paloties class...

sorry.bad humour at best..you make a good point about the screens outside.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:24:27 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: