VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Mouse,ethernet and isa fm problems  (Read 2737 times)

skinnie

Mouse,ethernet and isa fm problems
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:44 am »

Hi,I've been trying to set up VL6.0 light on the signature machine,but got two problems:
1st - the mouse..I have tried one corded genius mouse,an wireless rf usb mouse (I-rocks RF7550a) and a ps2 a4tech WinEasy (WWW5) mouse (3buttons,2 wheels (1 vertical other horizontal,ball type) connected via com to ps2 adapter,results:
both usb mouses work good,but after some minutes stop,either on usb 2.0 or usb 1.1 ports.this happen in kurumin linux too (debian based linux I think)

ps2 mouse - it doesn't work,even when set up with vasm.works out of the box in windows98se.

Ethernet - it is detected by wicd but I can't connect to my network,and the wicd seems broken to me..it is very slow.I had this working in this system but with another motherboard.It is possible to load modules?in kurumin I had to do sudo modprobe 3c509 to make it work.

another thing that I remember,I have in this system an old ISA FM Tuner (Reveal RA300),is there any program to make it work?in windows 98se it didn't need drivers,only a program to set the frequencies (it was called fmbox).
Anyone can help?thanks
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:05:22 am by skinnie »
AMD K6-2 400MHz
FIC VA503+ (VIA MVP3,JE4333 Bios) + USB 1.1 Module
2x128Mb PC133
3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP
Conceptronics 6 USB 2.0 PCI (ali Chip)
3C509B ISA Nic
Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (via envy24ht)
BTC 9000 Keyboard

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
Re: Mouse,ethernet and isa fm problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:23:09 pm »

For the mouse problem, try running vxconf as root in a terminal.
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:19 pm »

pls post your ifconfig -a, lspci, lsmod

skinnie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:07:30 am »

@ night I will be able to answer you guys.for now I edited the post with photos of the mice,maybe it can help.
@Daniel,vxconf isn't available through vasm?I think I've done that before...in vasm I even tried all types of mouse (serial,ps2,etc etc) but the a4tech never worked..
AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:42:15 pm »

About the radio tunner, you can try mplayer.

mplayer radio://frequency

This is from mplayer man page:

-radio <option1:option2:...> (radio only)
              These  options  set  various parameters of the radio capture module.  For listening to
              radio with MPlayer use 'radio://<frequency>' (if channels option is not given) or 'ra-
              dio://<channel_number>' (if channels option is given) as a movie URL.  You can see al-
              lowed frequency range by running MPlayer with '-v'.  To start the grabbing  subsystem,
              use 'radio://<frequency or channel>/capture'.  If the capture keyword is not given you
              can listen to radio using the line-in cable only.  Using capture to listen is not rec-
              ommended due to synchronization problems, which makes this process uncomfortable.

Available options are:

device=<value>
                      Radio device to use (default: /dev/radio0 for Linux and /dev/tuner0 for *BSD).

driver=<value>
                      Radio driver to use (default: v4l2 if available, otherwise  v4l).   Currently,
                      v4l and v4l2 drivers are supported.

volume=<0..100>
                      sound volume for radio device (default 100)

freq_min=<value> (*BSD BT848 only)
                      minimum allowed frequency (default: 87.50)

freq_max=<value> (*BSD BT848 only)
                      maximum allowed frequency (default: 108.00)

channels=<frequency>-<name>,<frequency>-<name>,...
                      Set  channel  list.  Use _ for spaces in names (or play with quoting ;-).  The
                      channel names will then be written  using  OSD  and  the  slave  commands  ra-
                      dio_step_channel  and  radio_set_channel  will  be usable for a remote control
                      (see LIRC).  If given, number in movie URL will be treated as channel position
                      in channel list.
                      EXAMPLE: radio://1, radio://104.4, radio_set_channel 1

adevice=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Name  of  device  to  capture sound from.  Without such a name capture will be
                      disabled, even if the capture keyword appears in the URL.   For  ALSA  devices
                      use it in the form hw=<card>.<device>.  If the device name contains a '=', the
                      module will use ALSA to capture, otherwise OSS.

arate=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Rate in samples per second (default: 44100).
                      NOTE: When using audio capture set also -rawaudio rate=<value> option with the
                      same  value  as arate.  If you have problems with sound speed (runs too quick-
                      ly), try to play with different rate values (e.g. 48000,44100,32000,...).

achannels=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Number of audio channels to capture.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

skinnie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:10:44 am »

thanks all.i could get the isa nic working loading its module.and editing the rc.local file as said in a old thread here.vxconf didn't do anything..
if I can get a mouse to work for a while I'd post here the results of lsmod,ifconfig -a, lspci..
Other thing that I found..about the PS2 mouse..
For the A4 Tech WinEasy mouse which has two wheels and 3 buttons, you may have the following InputDevice section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "WinEasy"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Device"   "/dev/mouse"
   Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
   Option      "Buttons"   "7"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

this is an example config of my mouse in xorg webpage,although I guess the protocol has to be something like serial mouse (because the mouse is connected on a serial port via an adaptor (even the windows driver says serial) and where it says "device" I guess it must e "dev/input/mice" (this is what I have in my vxconf made xorg).
Other thing that I noticed,no matter what driver I put in vasm for the mouse,it doesn't write it to xorg.conf..is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:50:15 pm by skinnie »
AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard

skinnie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 03:52:35 am »

Finally I got the ps2 mouse working!
For those who have the same problem here it goes what I did:
In vasm go to mouseset and choose ms (I know it was ms because of other distros)
the go to root terminal and edit xorg.conf and change:
  Option      "Device"   "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "Protocol"   "auto"

to

Option      "Device"   "/dev/ttyS0"
   Option      "Protocol"   "microsoft"

it worked!now I only have to configure the scrolling wheels,but at least I have an working mouse!
AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard