VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 06:03:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse,ethernet and isa fm problems  (Read 2367 times)
skinnie

« on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:44 am »

Hi,I've been trying to set up VL6.0 light on the signature machine,but got two problems:
1st - the mouse..I have tried one corded genius mouse,an wireless rf usb mouse (I-rocks RF7550a) and a ps2 a4tech WinEasy (WWW5) mouse (3buttons,2 wheels (1 vertical other horizontal,ball type) connected via com to ps2 adapter,results:
both usb mouses work good,but after some minutes stop,either on usb 2.0 or usb 1.1 ports.this happen in kurumin linux too (debian based linux I think)

ps2 mouse - it doesn't work,even when set up with vasm.works out of the box in windows98se.

Ethernet - it is detected by wicd but I can't connect to my network,and the wicd seems broken to me..it is very slow.I had this working in this system but with another motherboard.It is possible to load modules?in kurumin I had to do sudo modprobe 3c509 to make it work.

another thing that I remember,I have in this system an old ISA FM Tuner (Reveal RA300),is there any program to make it work?in windows 98se it didn't need drivers,only a program to set the frequencies (it was called fmbox).
Anyone can help?thanks
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:05:22 am by skinnie » Logged

AMD K6-2 400MHz
FIC VA503+ (VIA MVP3,JE4333 Bios) + USB 1.1 Module
2x128Mb PC133
3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP
Conceptronics 6 USB 2.0 PCI (ali Chip)
3C509B ISA Nic
Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (via envy24ht)
BTC 9000 Keyboard
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:23:09 pm »

For the mouse problem, try running vxconf as root in a terminal.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:19 pm »

pls post your ifconfig -a, lspci, lsmod
skinnie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:30 am »

@ night I will be able to answer you guys.for now I edited the post with photos of the mice,maybe it can help.
@Daniel,vxconf isn't available through vasm?I think I've done that before...in vasm I even tried all types of mouse (serial,ps2,etc etc) but the a4tech never worked..

AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:42:15 am »

About the radio tunner, you can try mplayer.

mplayer radio://frequency

This is from mplayer man page:

-radio <option1:option2:...> (radio only)
              These  options  set  various parameters of the radio capture module.  For listening to
              radio with MPlayer use 'radio://<frequency>' (if channels option is not given) or 'ra-
              dio://<channel_number>' (if channels option is given) as a movie URL.  You can see al-
              lowed frequency range by running MPlayer with '-v'.  To start the grabbing  subsystem,
              use 'radio://<frequency or channel>/capture'.  If the capture keyword is not given you
              can listen to radio using the line-in cable only.  Using capture to listen is not rec-
              ommended due to synchronization problems, which makes this process uncomfortable.

Available options are:

device=<value>
                      Radio device to use (default: /dev/radio0 for Linux and /dev/tuner0 for *BSD).

driver=<value>
                      Radio driver to use (default: v4l2 if available, otherwise  v4l).   Currently,
                      v4l and v4l2 drivers are supported.

volume=<0..100>
                      sound volume for radio device (default 100)

freq_min=<value> (*BSD BT848 only)
                      minimum allowed frequency (default: 87.50)

freq_max=<value> (*BSD BT848 only)
                      maximum allowed frequency (default: 108.00)

channels=<frequency>-<name>,<frequency>-<name>,...
                      Set  channel  list.  Use _ for spaces in names (or play with quoting ;-).  The
                      channel names will then be written  using  OSD  and  the  slave  commands  ra-
                      dio_step_channel  and  radio_set_channel  will  be usable for a remote control
                      (see LIRC).  If given, number in movie URL will be treated as channel position
                      in channel list.
                      EXAMPLE: radio://1, radio://104.4, radio_set_channel 1

adevice=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Name  of  device  to  capture sound from.  Without such a name capture will be
                      disabled, even if the capture keyword appears in the URL.   For  ALSA  devices
                      use it in the form hw=<card>.<device>.  If the device name contains a '=', the
                      module will use ALSA to capture, otherwise OSS.

arate=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Rate in samples per second (default: 44100).
                      NOTE: When using audio capture set also -rawaudio rate=<value> option with the
                      same  value  as arate.  If you have problems with sound speed (runs too quick-
                      ly), try to play with different rate values (e.g. 48000,44100,32000,...).

achannels=<value> (radio capture only)
                      Number of audio channels to capture.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
skinnie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 02:10:44 am »

thanks all.i could get the isa nic working loading its module.and editing the rc.local file as said in a old thread here.vxconf didn't do anything..
if I can get a mouse to work for a while I'd post here the results of lsmod,ifconfig -a, lspci..
Other thing that I found..about the PS2 mouse..
For the A4 Tech WinEasy mouse which has two wheels and 3 buttons, you may have the following InputDevice section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "WinEasy"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Device"   "/dev/mouse"
   Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
   Option      "Buttons"   "7"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

this is an example config of my mouse in xorg webpage,although I guess the protocol has to be something like serial mouse (because the mouse is connected on a serial port via an adaptor (even the windows driver says serial) and where it says "device" I guess it must e "dev/input/mice" (this is what I have in my vxconf made xorg).
Other thing that I noticed,no matter what driver I put in vasm for the mouse,it doesn't write it to xorg.conf..is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:50:15 pm by skinnie » Logged

AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard
skinnie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 02:52:35 am »

Finally I got the ps2 mouse working!
For those who have the same problem here it goes what I did:
In vasm go to mouseset and choose ms (I know it was ms because of other distros)
the go to root terminal and edit xorg.conf and change:
  Option      "Device"   "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "Protocol"   "auto"

to

Option      "Device"   "/dev/ttyS0"
   Option      "Protocol"   "microsoft"

it worked!now I only have to configure the scrolling wheels,but at least I have an working mouse!

AMD K6-2 400MHz
2x128Mb PC133
3C509B ISA Nic
BTC 9000 Keyboard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: