VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 10:22:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Earth won't install properly [Solved]  (Read 8230 times)
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 11:40:47 pm »

Smiley Okay, thank you. I am now thinking of getting a new computer. I am looking at a couple on ebay.

I will post them on a different thread.

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »

I just picked up this Radeon™ 9600 PRO for $20.

When the computer boots up it says the xserver won't work.
I'm supposed configure it or something. I took it out to post this here. What can I do to get the card in and working please?

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 05:01:11 pm »

Boot in tui mode, login as root and run vxconf. Follow the prompts and you should be fine.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »

Thank you for your prompt reply. Just to clarify, please, at what point do I physically install the card? Because I guess I should install it before I boot in TUI mode, but then how do I boot in TUI mode after that?

hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »

I mean, I should turn off the computer, put the card in the tower and then turn the computer back on.
Then what do I do please? How do I boot in tui mode from there if that is how I do it? Huh

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 06:05:33 pm »

To boot to tui, just select the linux-tui option from the lilo boot menu.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »

I'm not sure if there is a lilo boot menu and if there is how do I get to it please?

Sorry, but I'm very new to this. Do I put the video card in before or after I boot in tui mode?

hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »

Can I put the card in now while the machine is running? I guess I have to turn it off first, but just don't know for sure. I really want to try this new video card out, just don't have much of an idea how to go about it.

hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:10 pm »

It's pretty. Here's a picture:

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/over-2003/r9600pro-400-400.jpg

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 07:24:58 pm »

You should definitely not put the card in while the machine is running. That's an excellent way to fry computer parts. (not to mention frying yourself) The lilo boot menu comes up every time you boot your computer up. It normally has options of linux, linux-gui, linux-tui and any other operating systems on your computer. It has a timer on it that makes it select linux by default after 10 seconds or so. If you normally turn on your computer and go do something else while it boots up or something like that then you could easily miss it.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »

Okay, thank you for you time and quick replies, Daniel. I turned the machine off and rebooted it a few times and was unable to see the lilo boot menu. I have a feeling there isn't one. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I realize this may seem ridiculous to you if you know there must be one, but I just can't see it. I've never seen it. The computer starts with a black screen with a bunch of white letters, at the bottom says boot from cd. There's no cd in there. I understand that is likely not important, but just letting you know the facts. Then it goes to a blue screen with Vector linux logo and a horizontal line moving from left to right with letters saying such things as starting hald, starting alsa, starting multiuser mode, boot into gui etc. Then it goes to login screen where I can login as root or user.  Please forgive me, I'm lost. Undecided

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »

Maybe this will help...

This tutorial shows how you can use vxconf to auto detect and set up your driver for your new card.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/vxconf/vxconf.htm
In your case vxconf should detect that you are using an ati card and offer the appropriate choices.  Start by selecting 'flgrx' ATI's propriatory driver.

If you do not have a Linux-tui option on your lilo boot menu then try this...
This screencast is about resetting lilo and the lilo boot menu.  If you can follow the second part about using the Vectorlinux install disk to reset Lilo. This will give you the Linux-tui option.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/lilo/lilo.htm

Also getting to the text user interface may be as simple as just pressing ctrl+alt+f5 all at the same time once you have booted up Vector as far as it will let you get to after signing in.
If the tut's don't help clear things up just ask any question that may still be unclear.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:01:01 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 10:10:52 pm »

Okay, thank you. Smiley As it turns out, I didn't have lilo but found how to install it on the file manager. So now I can boot in tui mode. Got kinda lost in there though. I will read the tutorial and let you know what happens.

hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:25 am »

Okay, that worked great. Thank you. Cheesy I wonder if which driver is the best choice; Radeon, ATI or Vesa? Or is there no difference? Anyway, I'm going to try putting google earth back on and see if it works now.

hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

Okay, it works now. Thank you very much for all your help. Those tutorials are excellent. Makes it so simple. Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: