VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 09:26:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Might seem like a silly question but hope someone can answer it and understand  (Read 1505 times)
ezcomputers

« on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:01 am »

Hi All,
I tried vectorlinux 5.8 a while back and one thing I remembered and liked was it seemed whenever you were in a terminal it showed this cool overlay with vectorlinux on the bottom and the background was blue

I installed Vectorlinux 6 now and when i hit ctrl alt f3 etc i get regular terminals not like I remember seeing in the older vectorlinux.  I did however find hitting ctrl alt f1 brought up the screen im used to seeing but not in a useable terminal as I think that was used to start xorg,
I'm a linux newbie so please bear with me and my misunderstandings of all this,
but my main question is this, is there a way I can make all my terminals look like the one when you hit ctrl alt f1 in vectorlinux?  Something about that screen just appeals to me and though it may seem silly to you guys, I think it's a cool thing.

Thanks in advance
EZ
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 03:47:02 am »

I think you mean the bootsplash in verbose mode.

Does your computer show a picture when it is booting or not?.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:52:31 am »

it is somehting like this:
splash -s -u /etc/bootsplash/themes/current/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >/dev/tty2

that should set the bootsplash on tty2
let me know if that works, then we can script the rest of them
ezcomputers

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

yeah if I boot my vectorlinux 6.0 up in the standard xfce mode
when I firt his ctrl-alt-f1 I see the bootsplash screen
then i hit ctrl-alt-f7 to get back to my normal tty terminal with my window manager running
then if you hit ctrl-alt-f1 again you will see the screen im referring to
it consists of a light blue background with a darker blue box with stripes where the actual text shows up and in the lower right corner you can see the vectorlinux logo, if memory serves me correctly the old version of 5.8 I tried used this type of screen for every tty terminal and I just though it was cool, it even used it for logging in non graphically so it really gave an overall fluid and continuity to vector linux that was great.
Hope that explains it better
I did try what you wrote and couldn't get it to work though I could have been doing it wrong.
Thanks again for the response to this and hope to be able to setup my environment this way.
-EZ
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:40:59 pm »

I found someone running 5.8 still and got the code from them
add this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
Code:
###uncomment next 3 lines for nice console background
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 ; do
 splash -s -u $i /etc/bootsplash/themes/current/config/verbose-`fbresolution 2>/dev/null`.cfg 2>/dev/null
done

then reboot
ezcomputers

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:12 pm »

ok I did all of that but it didnt work Sad

I'm using vector 6.0 running XFCE
I followed your directions exactly and added those lines to the config file and rebooted... alas nothing Sad
I'd relaly like to track this down and make it work I know it seems like a small stupid thing but it was really cool how it was in 5.8 and I think bringing that back to 6 would be great.
That feature really made an impression on me and helped me remember vectorlinux and is what really brought me back to it.  Needless to say I'm glad i ofund my way back here I really enjoy using vectorlinux and I appreciate the help from you guys in this forum.
Here's to finding the answer to my issue....
Thanks

ezcomputers

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 12:48:53 am »

ok here are some pictures of what im talking about.  I went and reinstalled vector 5.8 but alas it's not exactly what i remember, however, this screen is cool too and something like this would be neat.  I noticed in 5.8 hitting ctrl alt f1 brought me to this screen with the ability to use the terminal as well.  The other terminals besides f1 were just the normal default vector terminals... Maybe im thinking of how it is when you boot into normal non gui mode....
Well anyways, these pics represent what im trying to achieve, it would be cool if every tty terminal could look this way in VL and like I said would create a really uniform feeling to the distro...

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 05:56:38 am »

I understood what you were trying to acheive, since I am the one who added bootsplash to 5.8
the code above is what adds that to all the terminals
in VL-6 open TTY2 and login as root, then run the code below
Code:
splash -s -u 3 /etc/bootsplash/themes/current/config/bootsplash-$(fbresolution 2>/dev/null).cfg

this should change TTY3 to the bootsplash picture, if it does then we are on the right track, post back and let me know

ezcomputers

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

ahh ok cool
I'll give it a try now and post back my results and thank you again for your help with this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: