VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 03:29:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Is Using GIMP?  (Read 950 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: October 12, 2009, 07:31:41 pm »

I am asking this question since I personally have never used it much less
even opened it since it scares me when I see it unfolding and I then quickly kill it.

Now I found that in VL-6-Gold, Thunar, apparently the in-house file manager, is set to open a picture with GIMP
which to me is utter nonsense especially when a newbie is at work. Well I
set it to gqview since a particular newbie just wants to look at pictures and
not manipulate them.                                                       

As an ordinary mortal my IM is well taken care off with "xv", "xpaint", gthumb and
occasionally ImageMagic. In fact I do not install GIMP any longer.

So in oder to be more newbie friendly I would suggest to have on
installation thunar (may be others) preset to open pictures not with GIMP
since a newbie might not find easily the way to reset thunar for gqiew or
others.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

I'll second that amendment.

after further review, this action can be modified, by following these steps from the Thunar website:
Adding Actions

To add actions associated with a file type, perform the following steps:

In the main area, select a file of the type to which you want to add an action. (ie. open the folder: pictures, then right-click on any saved image.)

Choose File → Open With Other Application... from the main menu.

Either choose an application in the Open With dialog or select Use a custom command and browse to the program with which you wish to open this type.

The action you have chosen is now added to the list of actions for that particular file type. If you enabled the Use as default for this kind of file option or there was no prior action associated with the type, the newly added action is the default.

You may also add actions using the Open With button under File → Properties...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:13:19 am by flip city » Logged

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:00:44 am »

I love the GIMP! It's versatile and powerful. But I agree that it might not be the best default application for non-gimp filetypes (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .bmp)

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:54:25 pm »

I'm also a Gimp lover, but I agree that it's not the right application for opening all graphic files. Better to have something fast, like GQview, which is my default with Thunar. I don't remember changing it from Gimp, but I must have. You can set up GQview to open an image with an external editor like Gimp, so it's simple to get to Gimp for editing any images that you want to.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: