VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 02:17:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new install failing  (Read 2042 times)
bujums

« on: October 14, 2009, 04:59:42 am »

I tried to install Vector 6 and then tried Ubuntu on an older computer last night but both of them gave me an error when it was installing software, so basically about half way through the process.  I am assuming that the hard drive has a problem...?

This computer was running Window 2000 and Mandrake windows had been failing.  I am not sure if mandrake was having problems but it was not set up right so I decided to re-do the computer.

any ideas?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:06:07 am »

please post your specs and which vl version you're installing.

what size hard drive? maybe it's just running out of room

bujums

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:41 am »

VL 6 standard,  and the Ubuntu was 9.04  the hard drive is 40 GB and I was able to create three partitions, swap, /, /home.  Other that that I don't have the computer in my possession so not able to get more info on it until later.  The memory is low but sufficient.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:17:32 am »

4gb should be enough, unless you are multi-booting with windows/ubuntu/vector

Just make sure your / partition > 4gb

bujums

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:22:03 am »

I am actually only going to have one Linux OS installed... 

So can you think of any other reason other than the hard drive failing that would be prevent the installation from completing.  I tried 5 times to install an OS, every time it failed wile installing software.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:25:00 am »

Corrupt installation media

If you are using downloaded ISO images, check their md5sums before burning

Bad burnt cd's can create problems too
burn your cd's at lower speeds.

bujums

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:31:29 am »

I have used these same disks to install and they were fine... unless you are saying that the way the CD was burned is just not compatible with the CD reader in this particulate computer?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:36 am »

There can be hardware problems. The cdrom drive in this machine may have problems, maybe with just the type of media that is in use. Cooling may be insufficient from dust clogging air intakes or heat sinks, or failing fans. Hard drive or memory could be bad. The list goes on.

On old machines, I like to use UBCD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and run hard drive diagnostics, as well as the memtest.
bujums

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:40:06 am »

thank you, I will check that link out.  Seems like I am always working old computers!!  They never have the same problem!! Undecided
Hiero2

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:14 am »

thank you, I will check that link out.  Seems like I am always working old computers!!  They never have the same problem!! Undecided

Yep - in a way, they never do. Altho I will say things are much better in the last 6 to 8 years. CD drives made in 2002 would often not read CD's written on a drive made 6 months later.

I agree that a run of diagnostics is a good idea. Imo, it's not that likely to turn anything up, but hardware issues do happen. Sometimes you can have a running OS installation working with a bad memory spot, and not really notice an issue - the occasional crash gets blamed on something else. Ditto hard drives. Take an extra day to run thorough tests, it can't hurt.

As to the partitions, I assume your 3 partitions are "/", "/home", and swap. You might want more than 4G for "/", for instance, if you install OO, and other office type software. This year I've had better luck with 5.5G. I do run a lot of stuff on my office boxes tho. Earlier this year I did have some very similar experiences to yours, trying to install linux systems, and running out of partition space. Quiet, but very complete, failure.

For RAM, even though you say the box has "enough", it would be helpful for you to tell us how much RAM it has.

If the CD's have worked on other installations, that's good. When you say the install fails when installing software, can we assume it is getting the software packages online, and NOT from the CD? If you are just using the CD as a source, then it could be a compatability issue, but I think that unlikely, since you are getting this far along in the process. If you aren't using the CD as a source at the time of failure, the partition size would be the first thing I looked at.

dima

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 03:50:19 am »

I just want to tell something. Several weeks ago, I tried to install FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE on my old PC, where previously was installed FreeBSD 4.11 and currently installed OpenBSD 4.6 and Vector Linux 6.0 Gold.
MD5, SHA256 cheksums for ISO file are ok, but my PC won't boot from DVD-RW disk. Everything looks like DVD-RW disk with FreeBSD 7.2 not bootable. At the same time my PC are able to boot from CD and DVD disks with FreeBSD 4.10 and OpenBSD 4.6! I tried to rewrite the ISO on another CD-RW, but it is not help. One guy told me that he have the same problem with FreeBSD 7.2 on old PC.

My hardware is: iP 350 MHz, GA6BA 440BX, a brand new DVD-RW NEC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: