VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 06:12:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RESOLVED Computer hates me  (Read 1219 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:42 am »

This computer hates me!   Shocked Turned on the computer this morning and logged on as bruce
Code:
Your session only lasted 10 seconds. ...
[details]
  ScreenSaver: couldn't get password of "bruce"
  ScreenSaver: couldn't get password of "root"
  _IceTransSocketONIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
  _IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListener: server allready running
  xfce5-session: Unable to establish ICE Kisteners: cannot establish any listening sockets
returns to logon screen where cleo sucessfully logs in.

During my reinstalls, it could not import bruce but could create/import cleo.  I would delete/rename bruce and create a new one in vasm.

History:
Last winter, VL6 installed beutiflly found my mouse wheel and had good white leters on black background in terminal, but I had a terrible time trying to connect to/from other computers on my LAN.  Then last spring, I fell into the same trap that others did by allowing the auto update to run.  I was unable to resolve the problem following the solutions given for others.  Then someone mentioned they were moving the xfce4 update back to testing and the topic died.

Now, when I reinstall, terminal has mutli-colored text, typing isn't displayed until Enter key pressed, and dual right borders (another thread mentioned menu=>run xterm yields a good terminal with black on white); despite all attempts, I can't get the mouse wheel to work; and the above issue.  The beauty of this, all computers on the LAN can read/write to each other!

I have made several reinstalls over the summer with same results.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:15:06 am by StrayBit » Logged

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:37:29 am »

Is the same computer the problem?

My guesses would be either HDD is failing or the install media.

If the install media was used on other machines then check
the HDD.

Bigpaws
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:04:07 am »

Now, when I reinstall, terminal has mutli-colored text, typing isn't displayed until Enter key pressed, and dual right borders (another thread mentioned menu=>run xterm yields a good terminal with black on white);

I get this behaviour from the terminal any time I use the vesa driver.

I can usually fix it by running vxconf as root from xterm or urxvt (two choices that don't have the multi-colored text)
Configuring X display with vxconf
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:17:21 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:53 am »

Finally ran vxconf this AM.  I ran lspci first and saw that I had an ATI card so chose that.  I now have a correct terminal.  Thanks stretch. 

The reason I had used vesa was that I couldn't remember what hardware I had during installation and I had seen a lot of threads saying to use vesa. Asi es la vida!

PS: I haven't tried Bruce yet, so I may be premature! - Eureka! It works!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:21:47 am by StrayBit » Logged

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: