VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Sound not working  (Read 2244 times)

JonnieR

Sound not working
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:54:21 pm »

Hi,

So far I am very pleased with VL6.0 standard.  It got my wireless and webcam unlike some more well known distros, and it is quite speedy.

I have an ACER Aspire One which has a Realtek HD audio under Windows but when running Alsaconf it reports back as snd_hda_intel so I guess that must be the chipset built onboard.  It has worked on other distros with Pulseaudio, but I cannot get it to work with VL and Alsa.

A quick search of the forum didn't yield any eureka moments.  I have even reinstalled the alsa files int he package manager.  Things have got better as I can now get Alsamixer and Mixer to work, but still no sound.

cat /proc/asound/modules reports snd_hda_intel on device 0, but still no joy.

I have tried VLC, MPlayer and XMMS. All with an .m4a(aac) audio file.

Thanks,

Jon.

JonnieR

**** SOLVED **** Re: Sound not working
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:19:04 am »

I now have sound!! ;D

Realtek have a linux driver for their HD Audio cards.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

This link was playing up today when I tried again but who knows it may be their server playing up.

The driver is version 5.13 and is available for 2.4 amd 2.6 kernels.

Jon.

netgem

Re: Sound not working
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:12:25 pm »

Hello Jon (or anyone else)
How do I install that realtek driver? I've downloaded it, what next? Please be gentle, I've only been using vector for 4 weeks. Have I got to write something in that scary looking terminal window thing?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:21:36 pm by netgem »
"listen to your heart, not the voices in your head" Marge Simpson