VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 12:31:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: {Solved} Weird problem with Ebay & Vector  (Read 1985 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:13 am »

OK,..this isn't a "show-stopper" problem.  But I do use Ebay once-and-a-while,...but can't do it in Vector 6 Standard.  No matter which browser I use,...(Opera, Seamonkey, Firefox)..I get this same message from Ebay:
Http/1.1 Bad Request

That's after it lets me sign into my account,..and then click on a category I want to go to.  I have even done a COMPLETE re-install on a different hard drive this morning.  I did try a "live CD" of Wolvix 2.0...and it did the exact same thing as Vector does.  This leads me to think that maybe it's a Slackware security thing..(?)  I don't have that problem in any other distro (just Vector, and the live CD of Wovix).  Of course,...I don't use Wolvix,...it's Vector that's my "every day" distro that I use all the time.  For now,..I have to use Debian or Puppy if I want to do the Ebay thing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:12:27 pm by nitehawk » Logged
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:33 am »

I use ebay on a regular basis with VL 6.0 Light and Seamonkey and have not any problems at all.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:30:53 am »

I have no problem accessing ebay using Seamonkey on my VL 6.0 standard install. Might be a problem with your account.

Are you running a firewall?

Bjørnar

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:45:18 am »

I use ebay with VL 6.0 Standard with all three browsers - no problems.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:35:05 am »

I remember reading about someone having a similar problem with the BankofAmerica site and also getting posts back that others where not able to duplicate the problem.  Can't say I have trouble with either site, but sure would like to know what is causing the problem for some.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:42:05 pm »

Another thing to check is permissions in your home dir and in /tmp, I have seen a lot of guy lately login in as root, messing with personal files and then all kind of problems with configs and things like that. The user running the browser needs write permissions in some places for browsers to work right. The home folder and /tmp is a good place to look specially ~/.mozilla

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful replys.   I've been with Linux a few years now,...but I'm FAR from an expert!  I'll try a re-install on this computer very shortly,...and look into the "write permissions" and:
home folder and /tmp is a good place to look specially ~/.mozilla

...but I am also thinking that my copy of the Vector 6 CD may be defective.  I am on dialup,..so I got the CD from an online store.  The CD is giving me problems on about 3 computers I've tried it on so far.  I've been using it for several months,...and I still can't download Firefox addons from the Mozilla site,....or search the Ebay site (after logging into my account).   Soooooo I'm thinking maybe I better try getting a good Vector CD from the Vector Store,...(if the "write permission" stuff etc. etc. doesn't work).  I mean,...I've installed this CD on several computers,....tried to download Firefox addons,..and search the Ebay site right away, without any luck (with no "tampering" with the root logon stuff).  So I'll just try an "official" Vector CD, and see what happens.  Thanks everyone.....
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:11:55 pm »

An interesting update.  I have been "google-ing" and have found there are literally oodles of folks with similiar problems (getting the same message of the "http 1.1" error, especially with Ebay).  I'm not so good about all the techno stuff,...but an interesting solution.  I have to make SURE all cookies are erased, before going on to Ebay.  It works that way,...but cookies constantly have to be deleted.  It does no good to REFUSE the cookies (Ebay won't work that way).  It's just very nice to discover that it just might be a "quirk",...and not any problem with my Vector CD.  I'm going to keep "tinkering" and see what else I can google, and come up with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: