VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 09:56:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 6.0 KDE-Classic RC1 feedback  (Read 5848 times)
Neo

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »

Neo, thank you for the testing and feedback.

Your problems with the time and the X issue makes me think that the final configuration after install did not complete. As root, run command "vasm", then select the "AUTOSETUP" entry and walk through the steps.

Default VLC behavior includes a restriction keeping it from running as root. That is normal.

Fonts: Try Control Center > Appearance & Themes > Fonts

Firefox: The VL package is a straight re-packaging of the official Mozilla build, so it will follow whatever they release.

Thanks again Nightflier,
I'll try the Autosetup next time I boot up VL.
With respect to the font size, the very first thing I do when setting up a new distro is exactly what you've suggested.
I select "change all fonts" and then set the font size to 18pt.
This usually changes the fonts in the Firefox menu bar (at top of screen) and other programs as well but not in this case.
Next time I boot up VL (which will be very soon) I'll have another look at the fonts in FF, if they are normal size I'll post about it, if not, then assume they are still very small and hard to read (I've got very poor eyesight).

Neo

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 05:48:11 pm »

Okay, I booted into VL, no problem.
The fonts in FF are still small and the time was wrong.
I switched user to root.
The time was wrong their too even though it is supposed to get it from a server instead of local.
Told it to check from server again and re-applied.  Time is correct.

Ran the Autostart as you suggested.
I actually ran it a few times to be sure because many times things flashed on the screen to quickly to read.
I then selected restart and at Grub selected VL.
Now instead of the GUI I got the terminal again.
The time is correct though.

I'll reboot and see what happens.
It'll probably bounce out to a terminal and inorder to fix it I'll have to login as root and restart.
Neo

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:36 pm »

Okay, I booted into VL, no problem.
The fonts in FF are still small and the time was wrong.
I switched user to root.
The time was wrong their too even though it is supposed to get it from a server instead of local.
Told it to check from server again and re-applied.  Time is correct.

Ran the Autostart as you suggested.
I actually ran it a few times to be sure because many times things flashed on the screen to quickly to read.
I then selected restart and at Grub selected VL.
Now instead of the GUI I got the terminal again.
The time is correct though.

I'll reboot and see what happens.
It'll probably bounce out to a terminal and inorder to fix it I'll have to login as root and restart.

Yup that's what happened and it rebooted just fine with the GUI instead of terminal.
That's a weird one.

The time is correct.  I'll try Mepis next and see if it's had a negative effect on the time in that distro (I have noticed a connection).

By the way, since I am multi-booting eight distro's or so, I am using the Grub from Dreamlinux and as a result I get the verbose boot up with Linux instead of the full GUI (insert full monty joke here).

Does anyone know how I can modify the Grub menu so that I do get the full GUI when booting?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:55:44 pm by Neo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: