VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: booting vectorlinux from a compact flash card?  (Read 1524 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
booting vectorlinux from a compact flash card?
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:27 am »

I opened my vector box to install a newer video card, and I was wondering about using a compact flash card to boot vectorlinux.

The ide adapters make it appear like a regular hard drive I assume, but is there anything else required to know before I try this?

I would like to order a very fast 16gig compact flash card and adapter, and re-install vector linux to that as the boot drive.

Is anyone doing this and if so, how fast is the boot times? Do you find the whole system faster?

Before I try this myself, I'd like to get some feedback from anyone else who may be using this kind of boot setup.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Steven

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: booting vectorlinux from a compact flash card?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »

I have been using that kind of a setup for a couple of years:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4564.0

You need an adapter that supports DMA. The card appears as a regular IDE device. No drivers or hacks needed.

Boot times are not significantly improved over a hard drive. General performance is also similar.

My main reason for doing this was noise. At this point I'm considering switching to a Solid State Drive. Although still expensive, I understand that performance has increased a lot lately, and prices have come down some.

haywire

• Vectorian
Re: booting vectorlinux from a compact flash card?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:24:29 am »

Thanks for your thoughts...

If the boot time and general speed of the system is really not improved, I guess its not worth the effort or trouble for me.

I thought it might be a good idea to improve boot time and general performance. Ah well, hard drives are cheaper anyhow.

Thanks,

Steven