VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:38:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yahoo Mail  (Read 4108 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:09 am »

I'm a bit of an idiot. I asked you to watch a flash tutorial to fix a problem your having with flash. Can you try the link on the Vista machine.  If you have trouble opening it
there, then please let me know. I rarely get a chance to check the tut's on windows machines.
Here is the link again.
Installing or upgrading flash on Vectorlinux.]

Also, I've also put this one on youtube, you may prefer this one..(You'll have to listen to my monotone voice though. Grin)
Installing or upgrading flash on Vectorlinux..Youtube Version

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:32 pm »

I had watched the tut on Vista.  It was the url that I couldn't see. (Always did say that I was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other three!  Roll Eyes )  After I got it from U-Tube (which was giving fits about playing on Vista), I started through the tut again.  It was there - one the next panel after the one that had it covered!)  It took me a while to discover why the download did act right - the quick launch button has changed to FireFox!  Any way, Adobe now says that I have version 10.0.32.18 installed.  (Oh! Yes! The tut works great on Vista.)  Thnks for bearing with me guys and gals.

Unfortunately, no change in Yahoo, even after restarting.  When I click on a message, the blue bar gets about half way and at the bottom it says "Loadin l.yimg" and seems to freeze.  Well! This is new:  I just went in the other room to check and it says "done" and is showing a white screen for the page.  Seamonkey's top and bottom bars are displayed.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 05:00:27 pm »

If this takes, then I can again post to this forum from linux. It didn't!  When I post, I get a message "Waithng for vectorlinux.com" and nothing more till I manually navigate away.

I just got through watching stretchedthin's tut as well as the U-Tube video from linux - excellent viewing on both.  It might have been high traffic volume while I was trying on Vista this afternoon or it could have been heat related 'though resetting the modem and router didn't improve as it does when that is an issue.

Oh! And I had forgotten about that "unsupported OS" message - haven't seen it since VL5.9.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:07:45 am »

Well... I have the video issue resolved (thread in Installation) thanks to Stretch.  I've also updated flash but when I try to post to this forum, it just tells me "Waiting for vectorlinux.com".  If I let it, it will still be there 1 1/2 hour later!

Tested to see if I could post on LinuxQuestions.org and got the following alert
Could not initialize the browser's security component.  The most likely cause is problems with files in your browser's profile directory.  Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full.  It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem.  If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behaviour when accessing security features
When clicked OK on that message, it posted!

I remembered my /usr partition is almost full:
Code:
cleo:$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             4.0G  329M  3.7G   9% /
/dev/hda3             4.0G  957M  3.0G  24% /home
/dev/hda4             4.4G  4.1G  251M  95% /usr
tmpfs                 186M     0  186M   0% /dev/shm
shm                   186M     0  186M   0% /dev/shm
Will boot 5.9 Live and attempt to adjust sizes.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 06:32:19 pm »

One thing to try when you're having browser problems is to rename the directories in your home directory and then restart X. (Example: rename ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla_old and ~/.opera to ~/.opera_old).

The directory will be rebuilt to default settings the next time you start the browser. You can then see if the problem continues. Sometimes things creep into your user account and make the mess persist. Starting over with "clean" home directories for the browsers gets rid of those nasties.

If the problem stays the same, you can delete the new ~/.mozilla directory and rename your ~/.mozilla_old directory to ~/.mozilla. Things will then be just the same as they were before you tried to rename.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 06:35:58 am »

I tried to post a test message to LQ and got a pop-up saying, among other things, that I might be low on disk space. When I OKd it, the message posted and I got the pop-up mentioened below.  Hda4 (/usr) is 95% full.

I tried to resize hda4 but gparted refused saying same sector used by two files (or something like that!)  So I wound up reinstalling, deleting hda4 then creating it with 6GB.  Again, it could not import bruce but did cleo.  Gave no error when creating new user bruce.  Joy of joys, the wheel has returned.  On the other hand, LAN access is broken which makes it difficult to give accurate information on what is going on.  I was able to add bruce from cli it, did say the directory already exists.  Also, none of the users including root have active shut down or restart buttons and, once I logout and click restart or shut down buttons on the loggin screen, the system freezes and I have to hard power off.

I was getting a pop-up saying that it couldn't connect to PayPal every time I changed pages on this forum.  I tried Granny's suggestion and it got rid of the pop-up.  Attempted to post and got the message "Waiting for vectorlinux.com".  Came back 45 minutes later and it said something to the effect of "receiving from vectorlinux".  Next time I checked, the computer was off - I think the high winds caused a momentary power drop.

As far as LAN access, I save smb.conf and copy it back after installation.  Set it in VAMC->services but it didn't start.  Tried start services samba (hope I remebered it right), nmbd started but smbd failed.  Verified testparm but it gave no indication of problem.  After much fiddeling (tweaking), VL can see Win98 but not mount it (not surprissing), Win98 and Vista can see Deskpro but can't open it (which is!)

I think some one mentioned HD failure - I'll try a different one.  Then I'll have to replace the cd with the existing hd to get the saved conf files.  That's ok, though as this computer doesn't normally have a cd drive.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:41:52 am »

Have replaced the HD and installed VL6-Std: same issues with Yahoo and VL Forum with Seamonkey.

It also had VL6 Light installed.  Used the information from these posts to get the mouse wheel working - thanks everyone.  When I try to open a message, it reads from a lot of different pages then returns me to the list of messages.  Still have the same issue posting to this forum with FireFox.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:29:10 am »

Posting from VL6 Light with Opera...

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 11:10:25 am »

It posted that one line but when I tried to save the edit of my joy...

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: