VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 03:04:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Light v6.0 Question...  (Read 1389 times)
AirborneDude501

« on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:45 pm »

Have been using Vector Linux and Vector Light for about 8 months now. 

I am going to setup a server in my house.  Previously I have used Damn Small with XAMPP as my web and DB Server, now I want to try something else since I retired one of my house computers (Because I got a new one) to the garage where all my old PII's, PIII's and the retired house a PIV or AMD Athelon.

My question:  Has anyone got Vector Light v6.0 to run VirtualBox and be the host OS?  I haven't tried, I have gotten VirtualBox running on my Vector Linux v6.0 version, never tried with the light version.

Here is my plan.  I have this Athelon 2000, it is a 1.6ghz with 1GB of RAM.   I was thinking of setting up Vector light on it and install VirtualBox.  Then creating A couple of different VM's.  One to be my web server and one to be my MySQL server. 

It is easier to manage and I can snapshot them after I configure them. 

So Vector Light with be the host and I was thinking TinyCore could be the Virtual Machines....

I am open to opinions if anyone thinks this isn't a good idea...  But the main question is will VirtualBox run good on Vector Light.

Thanks...
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:14 pm »

I am using Sun's VB version 3.0.6 r52128 on VL soho 5.9. YEs , I need to upgrade yet to the later version of VB Smiley . Well anyway, it runs fine for me there. I'm also certain that it will run just fine on the VL-Light 6 , since it is way more updated. I have borrowed many things from the Light 6 to incorporate into my 5.8 install.

The Light 6 and STD 6 are pretty much the same core, so if you have it running in the STD, then you should be able to run it in the Light as well.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:07 am »

I also expect it will work with Light. Is there a special reason you're putting VL6 Light on that box? Standard should run splendidly on a 1.6 GHz computer with a gig of RAM. My 1.3 GHz computer with a gig is my main testing machine and it performs quite well. I have both VL6 Standard and VL6 Light on that box. Can't say I see a difference between them as far as performance goes.

I love both versions, with a very slight preference for Standard because I like XFce a bit better than IceWM.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
AirborneDude501

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:27:46 am »

Thanks you 2 for responding.

The reason I thought about using Vector light was to get just a little more free memory.  As you know, virtualizing successful has a lot to do with extra memory.  I figured it I got even 16mb to 32mb extra of ram that isn't being used by the host OS, it would be that much better.

But I think you are right, the regular version of Vector is not a bloated OS...it is still light compared to SuSE or Fedora.  So either way, I will probably get the performance I want on the VM.

I like trying new things and I always love light versions of distro's.  But Vector itself is light compared to other distro's, but Vector Light is so fast, it is just to tempting not to get Sun's VB to run on it.
AirborneDude501

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:44:44 pm »

I got VirtualBox v3 to install and run easy on Vector Light v6. 

I actually set it up on my PII 450mhz with 384mb of RAM as a test. 

I was able to create a VM with 128mb of RAM and using TinyCore as the guest OS.   It actually runs great.  It is quite surprising.  Even while the VM was running, I was able to surf the net and do other things... it wasn't the best performance in the world, but it worked.  So using the 1.6 Athelon might even be over killed.  I have a PIII 800mhz with 768mb that might be a better fit.

Vector Light v6 is really nice and stable with VirtualBox.  I did run into a problems with IceWM and VB, it seems the menu bar on top of the VM window would go off the screen and I couldn't bring it back down.

When I tried it with JWM, it worked great. 

AirborneDude501

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:15 pm »

Oh yeah, I need to add this.

If anyone wants VirtualBox on their Vector Light, you need to use sh to install VB on Vector Light not ./

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:03 pm »

I did run into a problems with IceWM and VB, it seems the menu bar on top of the VM window would go off the screen and I couldn't bring it back down.

When I tried it with JWM, it worked great. 

If you mean you couldn't resize the window due to its being partially offscreen, try this:
Click on the Restore button (between Minimize and Close on the top right). Then hold down the Alt key while you click and hold the left mouse button and drag the window so you can get to an edge to resize. With most programs, you can resize a too-big window so that it fits your screen.

Some programs are not cooperative when it comes to resizing. I don't know if VirtualBox fits in this category.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
AirborneDude501

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:38:52 am »

Thanks, I will try this when I get home from work. 

That is a great tip... need to remember that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: