VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Direct ISO on a Windows Host is driving me nuts where r the FTP files please?  (Read 1123 times)

VLnewbie

Hi,
For various reasonsi am planning on using the "Direct ISO on a Windows Host" method, which, in the documentation states the following:-

"
. Download the following files from Vector Linux FTP site (e.g: ftp://anymirror/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0)
•   The ISO file from one of iso directory (iso/, iso-soho/, or iso-dynamite/). Put it on top level directory (C:\ or D:\). Don't forget to check its integrity as explained before.

•   The next files should be placed into C:\loadlin
o   loadlin.exe
Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory whithin the FTP site.
o   initrd.img
Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” whithin the FTP site
o   The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory whithin FTP site.

Then proceed with the installation:"

Does anyone know where i can actually FTP these files from please, because every FTP site i have looked at so far does not have the files in a directory available for downloading?

i really want to install VL but thi is preventing me.

many thanks,

a VL newbie.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

In a fast moving digital world, the documentation has a tendency to lag behind and get old quickly. Here is a live site:
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/

The easiest way to install would be to burn and boot from a CD, but there are many ways of doing it. What are the specs of your machine? Does it have a CDROM and/or a floppy drive?

VLnewbie

Hi NightFlier,
   Many thanks for your prompt response, i thought i was going nuts looking for these files and now thanks to your reply i know they were never there in the first place.

The BIOS is PW protected and i or the previous owner does not have the PW, hence i cant get it to boot from a CDROM drive, only from the Floppy or HDD.

Anyway, there is logic to my install decision. I have a little old laptop with 128mb RAM, it has NO internal CD-ROM drive and no internal floppy drive, this is its original mnfctr spec.

I have an external DVD/CD drive attached and an external floppy attached, however the VL boot disks cannot find an image when booting from floppy.

i tried the Linux host install and those disks didnt find the path to the *.ISO, so i installed windows and want to try the Host install method from within XP.

many thanks,

regards,

VLNewbie

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

you can find the files here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/install/
they are also inside your ISO file.

newt

• Vectorian

The link below is how I've been able to install directly using an ISO image from a windows partition. It uses grub4dos, and I find it very easy and flexible. It's just an alternative in case one is needed:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10629.msg67595#msg67595