VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 09:47:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 6.0 KDE-Classic RC1 feedback  (Read 5873 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:27 am »

Anything you have to say about this release is welcome here.
TLM

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:59:34 am »

Since there is a new SOHO coming down the pipeline, could there be some of the artwork from SOHO 591 in VL6 Classic? I particularly like the Vector branded logout box, as well as the vl59 splash screen. I tried importing the vl59 theme folder to the usr/share/apps/ksplash/themes directory in VL6 classic. It shows up in the splash screen list, but will not execute properly. (BTW vl59 is the cool splash screen with the vertical green checkmarks)

Particle board should be outlawed.
TLM

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »

Am using it right now. The problem with mounting USB storage devices has indeed been fixed. I did not have to reinstall hal with this RC1 version  Smiley Will post further results if anything pertinent is observed. Go VectorLinux!!

Particle board should be outlawed.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:20:20 am »

Merci!
Installed RC1, now rtl8187 USB wifi card works fine and stable.
still haven't figured out the magics yet, as tried vl6 soho Alpha2  for a few days never  made rtl8187 working stable....
perhaps it's got to do with Wicd 1.6.6.2 on alpha2,as there're complaints among community of slackware13 users concerning wicd 1.6.6.2 malfunction with rtl8187 usb, wicd 1.5.9 works fine with rtl8187.
so as  wicd on RC1.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:49:21 pm »

Since there is a new SOHO coming down the pipeline, could there be some of the artwork from SOHO 591 in VL6 Classic? I particularly like the Vector branded logout box, as well as the vl59 splash screen. I tried importing the vl59 theme folder to the usr/share/apps/ksplash/themes directory in VL6 classic. It shows up in the splash screen list, but will not execute properly. (BTW vl59 is the cool splash screen with the vertical green checkmarks)
You need to install Moodin. That splash uses Moodin engine to run.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:47 am »

Pretty smooth setup, a few issues with wifi that were easily resolved, so looking good with the limited use I been able to put it to.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
schmatzler

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:52:32 am »

This release is really really nice Smiley

I am coming from Yoper it was the one and only distro I used in the past 2 years. But in the last months, developers there started messing up a lot of things, only concentrating on the latest (buggy) kernel versions and KDE4 it got really hard to use for me - and much slower than it was in old times.

Now I chose this CD with my favorite window manager and after installation  nearly everything worked right out of the box. I was even able to dialup to my PPP-modem in seconds Smiley

Edit: Nevermind my previous question here, I got my bluetooth running with "/etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth start"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:55:36 am by schmatzler » Logged
Neo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:22:58 pm »

I just installed Vector 6 KDE RC1 and I have no sound!

The little speaker icon does not even appear in the panel.

I have gone to Settings-Sound & Multimedia - Sound System - and tried every setting possible.

I searched high and low and cannot find Kmix anywhere; usually no sound can be fixed by playing with these settings.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please help me.

By the way I am booting several other OS' and the sound works fine in all of them.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:38:13 pm »

In a terminal, as root, run command:
Code:
alsaconf
Assuming it finds and configures your sound card, next run:
Code:
alsamixer
Use the up/down arrow to move the volume sliders, right/left to move between sliders.

Kmix should be on the menu, in the "Multimedia" sub-category.
Neo

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »

Many thanks Nightflier!
I found Kmix and used it to get my audio working!
Neo

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »

Here's some more feedback for you.
By the way, I am pretty familiar with KDE, boot about eight different distro's using KDE and have them all setup the same way.

Font size - I have set all font sizes to 18pt., however in VL6KDE the fonts in the menu bar at the top of the screen in Firefox are still small (I did change the settings in FF so that the min size for display is 24, but that's unrelated - just mentioned in incase someone was thinking about it).

For some reason the time doesn't keep right between boot ups, and if I change it in VL and then boot into Mepis, it messes up their too.

I use VLC to listen to on-line radio, if I login as user it works just fine, if I log in as root, it flashes "download complete" and nothing happens.

Here is a link to the on-line radio that I listen to:

http://www.sky.fm/the80s/

If you want to duplicate what I do:  First select your music type, then select MP3 streams, then 96K.

The second time I tried booting into VL, I never got to the graphical interface where you type in your password, instead it looked more like a terminal and had to enter name, password and startx to get to a desktop.  For some reason it was using linux.net (my network) infront of the login name section.

Sorry if this post appears rambling, I am trying to help the developers with feeback and am doing most of this from memory.

I'll keep posting as I run into more things...
Neo

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »

I set VL to autologin with my user name and then rebooted.
It told me that my system hadn't been checking in over 49,000 days and ran a test.
It said that my system file had been changed and rebooted.
Once again it did not give me a GUI login but something that looked like a terminal (well Tux was there in different coloured symbols).
This time it was straight login, no linux.net before it (that time I think I goofed up the password the first time and linux.net did not appear until the second attempt).
Once again I had to use startx.
The time is correct this time.
I'll try rebooting and see what happens.
Neo

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:17:32 pm »

Okay, for the second time when I tried to quit after manually startx, it wouldn't reboot.
The second time I logged back in as root (still no desktop) and then typed reboot inorder to reboot.

Well it seemed to reboot the computer and allow me to boot into VL just fine this time.
The time is still correct, now I'll boot into Mepis and see if the time there is okay.

I hope my comments here help.
Neo

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »

By the way, for the on-line radio, I found that while I can listen to it only when logged in as user, it does not remember that I selected VLC, I always have to hunt through USR-BIN to get to it.
I now set FF to always use VLC, but usually it remembers your last choice or choices so you can simply select from a short list (if you don't want to always use the same program).

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:01:53 am »

Neo, thank you for the testing and feedback.

Your problems with the time and the X issue makes me think that the final configuration after install did not complete. As root, run command "vasm", then select the "AUTOSETUP" entry and walk through the steps.

Default VLC behavior includes a restriction keeping it from running as root. That is normal.

Fonts: Try Control Center > Appearance & Themes > Fonts

Firefox: The VL package is a straight re-packaging of the official Mozilla build, so it will follow whatever they release.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: