VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 03:37:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20091028 seamonkey-2.0 [VL6.0]  (Read 1500 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:52 am »

incognu has built a new Seamonkey package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
seamonkey: SeaMonkey (an open-source web browser suite)
seamonkey:
seamonkey: The SeaMonkey browser suite.  SeaMonkey features a state-of-the-art
seamonkey: web browser and powerful email client, as well as a WYSIWYG web page
seamonkey: composer and a feature-rich IRC chat client. For web
seamonkey: developers, mozilla.org's DOM inspector and JavaScript debugger tools
seamonkey: are included as well.
seamonkey:
seamonkey: License: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
seamonkey: Authors: The SeaMonkey Project
seamonkey: Website: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 02:53:39 am »

Grin To reply to my announcement, it looks good so far. Upgrade from 1.1.18 was painless, all settings seem to have been correctly imported and its working well. Rendering seems faster.

All I have to do now is find a couple of sites that didn't work correctly with 1.1.18.

paul.
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »

Thanks for testing this package!

One thing I'm a little uncertain about, is whether any problems will show up with plugins.  They seem to work ok for me, and SM2 seems to show them all (in about:plugins).  But, aside from being a completely new seamonkey, this package puts SM in a new location (/usr not /opt) and also handles plugins a bit differently from the old packages.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:52:40 pm »

Thanks for testing this package!

Smiley No problem - Seamonkey has been my browser of choice for a long time, not to mention my default email client.

One thing I'm a little uncertain about, is whether any problems will show up with plugins.  They seem to work ok for me, and SM2 seems to show them all (in about:plugins).  But, aside from being a completely new seamonkey, this package puts SM in a new location (/usr not /opt) and also handles plugins a bit differently from the old packages.

I've only used the flash plugin so far, but it works fine. I've also added Ligtning (which used to be Thunderbird only). You need to download the latest version:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-comm-1.9.1/

I've only tested it very briefly, but it seems to be working fine, and is a very useful addition to the Seamonkey email client.

Smiley I'll have to see if I can adapt my Zenwalk buildscript to the new version - its different enough that it will take some fiddling to do so....

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:44 pm »

works great for me so far Smiley
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:18 am »

Smiley I'll have to see if I can adapt my Zenwalk buildscript to the new version - its different enough that it will take some fiddling to do so....

paul.

Yeah, it's quite a bit different.  Take a look at my buildscript if you like.  The only things I'm a little uncomfortable about are the moz_plugin_path.diff and the --disable-ldap.  We -- and Slackware -- have always patched to include /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, so I took a chance on a new patch for that.  And I had to disable ldap in order to get it to compile.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »

Now that SeaMonkey is using the Firefox platform, I've had the same rendering problems at some sites as I've had with Firefox. I know it happens on my Athlon 64 X2 with ATI Radeon 200 video. I haven't experienced the problems yet on my Celeron 2 GHz laptop with Intel graphics and I haven't had the 1.3 GHz Celeron desktop turned on for several days.

Example: today I was paying bills at our online banking and needed to look at some images of checks that have cleared. I couldn't view the image in the page because the check wasn't displayed, enlarged sections of the screen were; I had to do a right-click View Image, which opened the check image on another tab, but when I went back to the page where the image is supposed to be, the display of the image was a mess again.

The computer where I'm definitely having the rendering problems is using the latest XFce from our repos. The computer where I haven't yet encountered the problem is using IceWM.

Other than that, I like the changes. Some have been in Opera for some time. Nice to have them in SeaMonkey at last!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »

I have used seamonkey for web and email for years. I installed 2.0 earlier today from the testing repository.  Took about 15 minutes to import everything but everything was imported.  So far it seems to be a significant improvement.

For reasons I will never understand, when deleting an email, seamonkey moves the cursor up one notch and marks that email read, whether read or not.  Unchecking the "automatically mark messages as read" box helps a bit but requires one to remember to mark read messages as read.

For these reasons, each time I update seamonkey I have to reinstall the Unselect_Message_1.3-mod.xpi.  Seamonkey would be far too risky for my purposes without this add-on. 

Unselect_Message_1.3-mod.xpi works fine on seamonkey 2.0.

p.s. The little red button showing I have updates has come on a couple of times.  Takes me to gslapt where it tries to downgrade seamonkey 2.0 to seamonkey 1.something.

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:36:28 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:25:15 pm »

This build lacks the libnullplugin (which nags you if you don't have a plugin  Tongue ); it didn't compile.  I've made another package with that corrected.

Now that SeaMonkey is using the Firefox platform, I've had the same rendering problems at some sites as I've had with Firefox. I know it happens on my Athlon 64 X2 with ATI Radeon 200 video....
--GrannyGeek
I've had the same problems with one website's background image.  Radeon X1650 pro, AMD64 x2 (brisbane), using the xorg radeon driver xf86-video-ati-6.8.0-i486-1, and KDE3, on VL60 Light.  With Konqueror, the background is just black; Dillo shows a beige-ish background; HV3 seems to show the background ok; but SeaMonkey 2.0 often shows the whole desktop, including SM itself, scrambled into the background.

Unselect_Message_1.3-mod.xpi works fine on seamonkey 2.0.

p.s. The little red button showing I have updates has come on a couple of times.  Takes me to gslapt where it tries to downgrade seamonkey 2.0 to seamonkey 1.something.

John

Yeah, I've had better luck that I thought I would, getting some extensions to install.  A few required hacking their install.rdf, but seem to be working: quicknote, optimoz tweaks, and even sage (though that requires hacking  panels.rdf in the profile to get it into SM's sidebar).

I don't know about the "update" to SM1 ...

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:52:35 pm »

I think the 'upgrade' problem is down to priority settings in slapt-get - patches has greater priority than testing....

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: