VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Installed a new router and now I have to manually set up netconf RESOLVED  (Read 1696 times)

larkl

Been using Vector for quite awhile, now this rears it's ugly head!  Changed out my router and now I have to go into System/Vector Control Center/Netconf each time I boot up and tell it to use dhcp.  Before I do this, the output of ifconfig -a only lists LO.  Afterward, eth0 is there as it should be.  How do I get this to persist? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:26:09 am by larkl »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

What VL version? Using wicd or not?
Does this work (as root, in a terminal)?
Code: [Select]
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

larkl

It's VL Std 6.  Yes dhcpd eth0 works, this starts dhcpd and adds eth0.  I tried adding inet to startup services, but this didn't help.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

If above commands fix it, a quick and easy hack is to just add those lines to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

larkl

Thanks, nightfiler, but oddly enough this doesn't work in rc.local.  It works OK from the command line, however.  Puzzling. 

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

Just guessing now, could be that something needs time to get ready.. maybe if you add a delay before the commands, like:
Code: [Select]
sleep 3

larkl

That did it!!  :) Thanks.  The delay was the trick.  I really was struggling to understand how the same command would work manually and then not work in rc.local.