Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Installed a new router and now I have to manually set up netconf RESOLVED  (Read 1676 times)

larkl

Been using Vector for quite awhile, now this rears it's ugly head!  Changed out my router and now I have to go into System/Vector Control Center/Netconf each time I boot up and tell it to use dhcp.  Before I do this, the output of ifconfig -a only lists LO.  Afterward, eth0 is there as it should be.  How do I get this to persist? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:26:09 am by larkl »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
What VL version? Using wicd or not?
Does this work (as root, in a terminal)?
Code: [Select]
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

larkl

It's VL Std 6.  Yes dhcpd eth0 works, this starts dhcpd and adds eth0.  I tried adding inet to startup services, but this didn't help.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
If above commands fix it, a quick and easy hack is to just add those lines to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

larkl

Thanks, nightfiler, but oddly enough this doesn't work in rc.local.  It works OK from the command line, however.  Puzzling. 

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Just guessing now, could be that something needs time to get ready.. maybe if you add a delay before the commands, like:
Code: [Select]
sleep 3

larkl

That did it!!  :) Thanks.  The delay was the trick.  I really was struggling to understand how the same command would work manually and then not work in rc.local.