VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 05:56:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck at JWM windows manager on 6.0 SOHO Beta install  (Read 1057 times)
finaldata

« on: November 06, 2009, 08:48:57 am »

Hi, I have some issues installing the SOHO Beta... I can't install... when gui loads... i get a gray screen and when i click i get a menu... that's it... no installer comes up... any help would be appreciated... thanks a lot!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:53 am »

The installer can potentially take many seconds to initially display - more than 45 seconds.  I would suggest just waiting about 1-2 minutes after the gray desktop appears. If nothing displays then you can try starting it manually from the terminal - you'll notice the JWM menu hidden in the lower-left corner of the screen. Start the terminal and run the installer 'gbr2 /root/speedy/vinstall-ng.gambas'.

Hope this helps.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »

This is a double post. But the questions has already been answered. The alpha and i presume betas will have a self contained environment that automagically try to connect to the internet and download the latest and greatest installer code to make sure that the installation goes as smooth as possible. In some hardware configurations this will make the system show a solid gray screen for a few seconds. In others, where the system is unable to automagically configure the network interface, it will take even longer for the installer to show up... but it will ... eventually.

Maybe this should have been posted as a warning in the release announcement.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:27:45 pm »

I use fixed IP addresses and my router does not function as a DHCP server. Will the installer be able to get me connected for these checks and downloads? I'm planning to give 6 SOHO a try after it goes to beta.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:53:47 pm »

the beta versions will not be able to download any installer updates.
the installer should be stable enough that we wont need to update it between released versions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: