VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver  (Read 3537 times)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »

I am setting up an HP printer (OfficeJet J4580 all-in-one) for a client. She bought this after I suggested HP's always worked with Linux. Doh! Not!

I have the latest version of our HPLIP package in VL6 installed. When navigating through CUPS there is not a single entry for the J series of OfficeJets, and the bog standard OfficeJet driver does not work either. So I went to the HPLIP website and the latest version is only one minor version greater and I cannot find a version that will install under Slackware anyways (I did try that). I also tried to find a .ppd file on the printer CDROM but no luck there.

According to the OpenPrinting website this machine should work under Linux, but I certainly can't find a driver that works. Any ideas greatly appreciated. The few strands of hair I have remaining are now almost gone....
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »

Thanks ever so much Uel - the updated package did the trick!
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »

you are welcome  :)