Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver  (Read 3447 times)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »
I am setting up an HP printer (OfficeJet J4580 all-in-one) for a client. She bought this after I suggested HP's always worked with Linux. Doh! Not!

I have the latest version of our HPLIP package in VL6 installed. When navigating through CUPS there is not a single entry for the J series of OfficeJets, and the bog standard OfficeJet driver does not work either. So I went to the HPLIP website and the latest version is only one minor version greater and I cannot find a version that will install under Slackware anyways (I did try that). I also tried to find a .ppd file on the printer CDROM but no luck there.

According to the OpenPrinting website this machine should work under Linux, but I certainly can't find a driver that works. Any ideas greatly appreciated. The few strands of hair I have remaining are now almost gone....
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »
Thanks ever so much Uel - the updated package did the trick!
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
you are welcome  :)