VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 12:10:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HP OfficeJet J4580: unable to find a driver  (Read 3243 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »

I am setting up an HP printer (OfficeJet J4580 all-in-one) for a client. She bought this after I suggested HP's always worked with Linux. Doh! Not!

I have the latest version of our HPLIP package in VL6 installed. When navigating through CUPS there is not a single entry for the J series of OfficeJets, and the bog standard OfficeJet driver does not work either. So I went to the HPLIP website and the latest version is only one minor version greater and I cannot find a version that will install under Slackware anyways (I did try that). I also tried to find a .ppd file on the printer CDROM but no luck there.

According to the OpenPrinting website this machine should work under Linux, but I certainly can't find a driver that works. Any ideas greatly appreciated. The few strands of hair I have remaining are now almost gone....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:41:06 pm »

try this pkg
http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/kde4.3.1/new/hplib-3.9.8-i586-4vl60.tlz
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »

Thanks ever so much Uel - the updated package did the trick!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »

you are welcome  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: