VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 02:37:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Light 6.0 GUI / windows no graphics  (Read 4440 times)
leok

« on: November 11, 2009, 06:09:23 pm »

Hello,

I have VL 6.0 Light running on a Compaq AP200. MS Windows claims the graphics card is an ELSA Gloria.

The Linux text version works fine. The gui version and windows versions don't get beyond the commands that would start those modes:

Running vxconf, I get different failed results depending on my choices.

-------------

If I select the VESA default vxconf completes without complaint but startx has the following error messages:

(==) Log File ...
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

If I try to go to the GUI mode the following command appears, the screen goes blank, and then the command re-appears with the curser at the beginning of the following line:

rc.X ==> Going to multiuser GUI mode ...

There is no response to keyboard entry except for some CTRL+ALT+nnn entries.

CTRL+ALT+F2 does bring up the Linux text login.

-------------------------------

if I run vxconf and select AUTO, the program terminates with an error message that is partially hidden ending with:

sed: can't read /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.in: No such file or directory
Video is Texas Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2], using Xorg(vesa) Server
Monitor is Generic Monitor ..
Using Modes ..

This time, if I run startx the errors are different:

(==) Log File ...
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found

And that makes sense because /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists but it is now empty. If I rerun vxconf and select vesa the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (actually "/etc/X11/xorg.conf@") appears to contain reasonable information.

-----------------------

if I run vxconf and select VXCONF I get to the SELECT DEFAULT COLOR DEPTH screen and SELECT DEFAULT MONITOR RESOLUTION and no matter what I select from either menu, the program terminates with the X configuration ERROR screen.

-----------------------

I'll stop there. Any suggestions?

By the way, I have been running Vector Linux 5.9 standard with no trouble for the past couple of years and thought the Light version might be a bit faster, and also I would not have to do some of the rather clumsy program selection I had performed with the standard version.

Thanks,
leok
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »

Looks like system is having trouble identifying your video hardware.

A quick test and starting point is to just use the default vesa settings.
First, boot to text mode (TUI)
As root, copy the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
try "startx" and see if you have any luck.

If you still have your xorg.conf file from VL5.9, copying it over may work.
You can even try booting a 5.9 Live CD and have it produce an xorg.conf.
leok

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:23:37 am »

Thanks,

It will take me a day or so to get to it and try all the options. I'll place results here when complete.

leok
leok

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:36:21 am »

I finally have a little time:

Using vesa driver I got errors:
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

vga with depth set to 8 worked but was way too large.

The card is definately a ELSA GLoria Synergy+  I don't know chipset.

I tried the glint driver but couldn't encourage it to work.

Thanks,
Leo
leok

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:44:37 am »

I got vesa to "work" by setting depth to 8, but the screen was split in half with nop and bottom reversed (wrong locations written in video ram?). I don't know why vesa doesn't work with depth 16 except maybe the video ram is not where vesa expects it to be.

Leo
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:09 am »

Did you try just copying the default vesa file as I described above?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:19 am »

The problem sounds like it could be a combination of 1) setting the appropriate video driver, and 2) setting the appropriate values for your monitor frequencies.  You said that the monitor was identified as 'generic monitor' which will use default (GRAS) values, however this is not always the case. You should research the monitor you're using and determine is resolution capabilities, and vertical and horizontal frequency ranges.  Once you know these values, start with the default VESA xorg (as nightflier suggests), and edit the screen section to match your monitor. Then see if X will start. If not, one-by-one, change the video driver to the other options (glint, nv, fbdev) and see how they respond to X.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:02:00 am by newt » Logged
leok

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:32:07 am »

nightflier & newt,

A few more days of travel:

I did try just copying the default vesa file and except for the use of depth = 8 the results are the same. I did get a cd version of knoppix running and it used the "glint" driver and claims it's talking to the Texas Instruments TVP4020. VL 6.0 Light doesn't seem recognize the TI chip for glint but there could be something else I had wrong. I have the xorg.conf file from the knoppix system and am looking for additional hints there.

I'll work through a few permutations as suggested by newt (starting with the default VESA xorg (as nightflier suggests)). Thanks .. I'll report back. I'm sure it's something real simple.

Thanks,
Leo
leok

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 06:37:43 am »

Something I noticed in the knoppix config is a ModeLine statement in the Monitor section that seems to prescribe raster parameters that would mate the video card setup to the monitor capabilities. An example for a 1600 x 1200 screen would be:

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=132.00 H.Active=1600 H.Blank=176 H.Offset=-8 HSW=64 V.Active=1200 V.Blank=39 V.Offset=5 VSW=10
Linux modeline parameters:
"1600x1200" 132.000 1600 1608 1672 1776 1200 1205 1215 1239 +hsync +vsync

resulting in the ModeLine statement:
ModeLine  "1600x1200" 132.000 1600 1608 1672 1776 1200 1205 1215 1239 +hsync +vsync

Possibly I need such a statement for each particular screen I plan to use.

leok
leok

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:59:41 am »

I tried using the VXCONF Auto probe and when that program ended with an error I selected the option to edit xorg.conf with mcedit. I changed the monitor horizontal and verticle frequencies to match my HP Pavilion M70 capabilities and ran startx. I have the resulting Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf files. I have attached them to this message with the ".txt" extension so the bb program would accept them. What do you think?

Thanks Leo
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »

The xorg file looks okay, so now it's easy to experiment with drivers. Find the line:
Code:
Driver      "glint"
and make it:
Code:
Driver      "vesa"
see if it changes anything.
leok

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »

I have done that and have attached the same 2 files (the xorg.conf so you can see if I really did what you thought I would do).

Please see attached.

Thanks, leo
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:01:34 pm »

Yeah, I think you're onto something about the mode settings. There is a line:
Code:

At this point, I'm just guessing: It looks like the video card is a very low memory one (512K)? What resolution does it use when you run Knoppix?
leok

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:55 am »

1024x768 and 16 bits color. I am running even higher resolution with Windows.
I have attached the Knoppix "xorg.conf" file.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:55:07 am »

Have you tried just using the xorg.conf file from Knoppix or from VL 5.9? Worth a try.

It is possible that VL6 just doesn't work well with your hardware. Unfortunately, regressions happen.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: