VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 01:17:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 6.0 KDE-Classic feedback  (Read 27812 times)
Neo

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:00:37 pm »

Hi All,
I have an old Xerox printer (which I need to replace shortly) hooked up to my parrallel port.
When I go to Control Center > Peripherals > Printers > Add printer > the local printer section is greyed out.

How do I fix this?

How do I install my printer?

And does anyone have any suggestions for a good all-in-one laser printer that works well with Linux?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 06:00:00 pm »

Make sure your parallel port is initialized on boot.
Use vasm > (super) > hardware > hwset and make sure "parallel" is checked.
Reboot and try again.
Neo

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 08:45:39 pm »

Make sure your parallel port is initialized on boot.
Use vasm > (super) > hardware > hwset and make sure "parallel" is checked.
Reboot and try again.

Done, now I can select the parrallel port that my printer is attached to.
The problem is I can not find a driver for my Xerox P1202.
I do have a driver for this in my Mepis OS and I have been using this printer for years with Linux, there just isn't list any Xerox printers in Vector.

Any ideas?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:11 am »

The OpenPrinting database recommends the "hpijs-pcl5e" driver:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Xerox-DocuPrint_P1202
All you should need is the PPD file (look for the link that says "directly download PPD").

When you install the printer using the KDE interface, click the "Other" button when it comes time to select your printer. Navigate to the downloaded ppd file and select it.

If the included hplip-2.8.12-i586-2vl60 package doesn't do it, try upgrading to hplip-3.9.2-i586-1vl60 using gslapt. The later version has a much smaller printer selection, but PCL 4/5 is one choice.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:30:23 am by nightflier » Logged
Neo

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »

I just bought a Samsung SCX-4521FG all in one printer.
It comes with a Linux driver on a cd.

When I use the control center to add a printer it doesn't even list Samsung.

I don't know how to install the printer driver from the cd.

It has a few programs on it marked "autorun" and even one marked "scx4x21.install" but for the life of me I can't use the terminal to even access my cdrom!

I am assuming if I run one of these programs I should be off to the races but I need some help in getting started.

At this point I am considering copying the entire Linux folder to a directory and trying it from that approach but think there must be an easier way.

I only have a few days to test this printer out and return it if I have any problems, after that it becomes an expensive paper weight.

If someone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 05:25:00 am »

The question about the printer really should go in a separate topic, but since time is of the essence:

I must give Samsung credit, on their web site, the driver downloads are listed in alphabetical order. The Linux driver is prominently dislplayed instead of hidden away.

Insert your CD, it should cause a pop-up window asking you what you want to do. Select "open in new window".

Next open a terminal and become root. Enter command "mount" to see where the CD is mounted. It will most likely be /mnt/cdrom. Change to that directory and execute the autorun file:
Code:
cd /mnt/cdrom
./autorun
Closely watch the output for any error messages.
Dani Filth

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 06:42:06 am »

Just installed on my laptop, and it runs really fast compared to other KDE (even version 3) distros. It does seem solid and stable too, with bigger repo (some packages that I had to manually install are now available in Gslapt).

Really nice distro, big thanks to the team for the release  Grin
Neo

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:24 pm »

The question about the printer really should go in a separate topic, but since time is of the essence:

I must give Samsung credit, on their web site, the driver downloads are listed in alphabetical order. The Linux driver is prominently dislplayed instead of hidden away.

Insert your CD, it should cause a pop-up window asking you what you want to do. Select "open in new window".

Next open a terminal and become root. Enter command "mount" to see where the CD is mounted. It will most likely be /mnt/cdrom. Change to that directory and execute the autorun file:
Code:
cd /mnt/cdrom
./autorun
Closely watch the output for any error messages.

Thanks again   Nightflier.
I downloaded the latest driver package from Samsung and it installed just great.
Even the scanner works.

For scanning I can only find Kooka, I  have Xsane installed but it does not appear in any of the menus.

Any ideas?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

Yeah, looks like there is no launcher for Xsane. Open a terminal and launch it manually with command "xsane". If all works well, add a menu entry manually by right-clicking the menu button and select "Menu Editor". I'm sure you can take it from there  Smiley
Dani Filth

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

After successfully installed on my laptop w/o any issues, I tried to install VL KDE 3.5 on my home PC desktop too. Now I have 3 problems :

1/ My parents require me to leave a Windows partition for them (they just can't get used to Linux), and it's Windows 7. With previous version of 'doze like XP, VL detected the partition perfectly. However, I think with 'doze 7, it created a 100MB partition during installation, thus, VL failed to detect the system files, lilo only shows me the available Linux options and I have to manually edit and add 'doze to lilo.

2/ My PC screen resolution can be up to 1280x1024, but VL doesn't show me that option in Configure Desktop and only allows 1024x768 as maximum resolution (fyi, during installation, I chose "VESA" when it asked for screen settings).

3/ Wheel on mouse doesn't work, I can't scroll up & down in the page as it's supposed to work

Please tell me how do I get the 2nd & 3rd issues resolved, I will provide details if needed, thank you  Wink

EDIT : I used VXCONF now, and screen resolution issue is solved. But there's another issue with sound, there's no sound at all, even though flash works fine on web browser

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:18:49 pm by Dani Filth » Logged
Neo

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

After successfully installed on my laptop w/o any issues, I tried to install VL KDE 3.5 on my home PC desktop too. Now I have 3 problems :

1/ My parents require me to leave a Windows partition for them (they just can't get used to Linux), and it's Windows 7. With previous version of 'doze like XP, VL detected the partition perfectly. However, I think with 'doze 7, it created a 100MB partition during installation, thus, VL failed to detect the system files, lilo only shows me the available Linux options and I have to manually edit and add 'doze to lilo.

2/ My PC screen resolution can be up to 1280x1024, but VL doesn't show me that option in Configure Desktop and only allows 1024x768 as maximum resolution (fyi, during installation, I chose "VESA" when it asked for screen settings).

3/ Wheel on mouse doesn't work, I can't scroll up & down in the page as it's supposed to work

Please tell me how do I get the 2nd & 3rd issues resolved, I will provide details if needed, thank you  Wink

EDIT : I used VXCONF now, and screen resolution issue is solved. But there's another issue with sound, there's no sound at all, even though flash works fine on web browser

Cheers!

I also had a problem with sound, however I resolved it by opening "Kmix" and playing with the settings.
I think I had to adjust the PCM volume.
By the way I remember seeing someone post in the Mepis forums that he had difficulty dual booting with Win 7 as well.
It apparently does some funny things above and beyond what earlier versions of Windows did.
If I remember correctly you have to be very careful when resizing the Win 7 partition.

I don't have a link to that post handy but it may be worth your while looking it up.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:51:07 pm by Neo » Logged
Neo

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »

Yeah, looks like there is no launcher for Xsane. Open a terminal and launch it manually with command "xsane". If all works well, add a menu entry manually by right-clicking the menu button and select "Menu Editor". I'm sure you can take it from there  Smiley

Thanks Nightflier, that did the trick!
Dani Filth

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:47 am »

I also had a problem with sound, however I resolved it by opening "Kmix" and playing with the settings.
I think I had to adjust the PCM volume.
By the way I remember seeing someone post in the Mepis forums that he had difficulty dual booting with Win 7 as well.
It apparently does some funny things above and beyond what earlier versions of Windows did.
If I remember correctly you have to be very careful when resizing the Win 7 partition.

I don't have a link to that post handy but it may be worth your while looking it up.

Thanks Neo,

I played with KMix for a while, but still no luck even though I have adjust the bar up and down for all the choices there (PCM, Speaker... etc, in fact, all of them)

As for partitioning with Win 7, it was missing after installing, but simply modify lilo.conf and add Windows in it works just fine  Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 06:17:05 am »

Dani, try this: As root, in a terminal, run "alsaconf" to set up your sound card again. Next run "alsamixer" and adjust volumes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:18:46 am by nightflier » Logged
ppetitjean

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 07:26:54 am »

Nice distro, just working fast.
No real issue.
Do you intend to put Digikam in the repo?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: