VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 01:45:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 6.0 KDE-Classic feedback  (Read 24808 times)
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 04:05:16 pm »

i love kde 3.5 hopefully you guys keep it going.

got it installed on the lappy and now its working great everything works as it (at least so far) I think this is going to be my lappy os.

I have yet to install on the tower yet. but getting very tempted to

Linux Registered User #481509.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 12:58:58 am »

i love kde 3.5 hopefully you guys keep it going.

got it installed on the lappy and now its working great everything works as it (at least so far) I think this is going to be my lappy os.

I have yet to install on the tower yet. but getting very tempted to

Yeah, when I tried it everything I tried also worked.  I wanted to do a review, but when everything goes so smooth, the review feels very... well, it doesn't sounds like a review...

Anyway, I posted my experience here http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2009/11/vl-60-kde-classic-review.html .

SmartMart

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 03:58:07 am »

Please tell us about your experiences with this release.

Excellent distro - lean, mean and fast!

On the downside:
- I have yet to figure out how to install my HP F2280 printer (no problems with it on any other distro I've tried).
- I have yet to figure out how to install rpm/deb packages but I've seen some mention somewhere about having to convert them.

I will certainly recommend Vector Classic to my friends/associates  Smiley

Regards!

Martin
Linux Registered User #357086
Using: 6.0 KDE-Classic-Live built on May7, 2010
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 05:05:36 am »

@Kidd: Thank you.  Smiley

@ppetitjean: Digikam seems to be in demand. I'll look into it after the holidays.

@SmartMart:: There is a newer version of hplip available which may work better for your device. You can install it using gslapt.. If no Vector or Slackware packages are available, read this for rpm packages: http://tropicofvector.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/installing-redhat-rpm-packages-on-vectorlinux-and-possibly-other-distros-using-midnight-commander/
SmartMart

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 05:31:31 am »

Many thanks indeed for the link to installing rpm's "the easy way" - much appreciated.
I'll investigate the printer issue later  Wink

Regards

Martin
Dani Filth

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 06:46:19 am »

Dani, try this: As root, in a terminal, run "alsaconf" to set up your sound card again. Next run "alsamixer" and adjust volumes.
Thanks nightflier, that did work. However, after rebooting, the error still persists. I have to "su" -> "alsaconf" again to configure/enable the sound card in order to listen to any sound. Btw, is it just me or, by default it's supposed to have a little icon of the speaker at bottom-right tray for us to adjust the sound/volume?

FYI, my soundcard is detected and shown as "hda-intel - Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:49:50 am by Dani Filth » Logged
ppetitjean

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 07:41:56 am »

@ppetitjean: Digikam seems to be in demand. I'll look into it after the holidays.

Thanks. Don't hurry. I just thinks it' a must-have. Picasa works fine too and the rpm is easy to install
SmartMart

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:02 am »

I also had a problem with sound, however I resolved it by opening "Kmix" and playing with the settings.
I think I had to adjust the PCM volume.
By the way I remember seeing someone post in the Mepis forums that he had difficulty dual booting with Win 7 as well.
It apparently does some funny things above and beyond what earlier versions of Windows did.
If I remember correctly you have to be very careful when resizing the Win 7 partition.

I don't have a link to that post handy but it may be worth your while looking it up.

Thanks Neo,

I played with KMix for a while, but still no luck even though I have adjust the bar up and down for all the choices there (PCM, Speaker... etc, in fact, all of them)

As for partitioning with Win 7, it was missing after installing, but simply modify lilo.conf and add Windows in it works just fine  Smiley

Re your sound issue:
When I first installed VL Classic, I had no sound at all but after looking at the Kmix settings I noticed that the "Front" volume slider was right down at the bottom, which is quite a common error with Linux distros in general. After moving it right to the top, I now have sound. Are you absolutely certain that you
moved the "Front" slider to the top. Incidentally, I have the same sound card as you.

Regards

Martin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 12:22:22 pm »

after rebooting, the error still persists. I have to "su" -> "alsaconf" again to configure/enable the sound card in order to listen to any sound. Btw, is it just me or, by default it's supposed to have a little icon of the speaker at bottom-right tray for us

Normally these settings should stick. How about a little more experimentation?
To get the speaker icon, click Menu > Multimedia > KMix.
Set up your computer the way you want it to be when you start up.
Finally, click Menu > Save Session.
Reboot and see what it does.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 08:41:48 pm »

ive actually noticed the "speaker" dont show up in the task bar ether. i did think that was supposed to show up automatically

now going multimedia -> kmix will make it show, but im thinking somewhere there should be a setting that will auto load that on startup (at least every other disto i have used w/ kde 3.5 did this) something get left out of config somewhere?

but its not really a big deal.

"Menu > Save Session."

I have not tried yet myself. but i will check that.

SmartMart

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 05:58:04 am »

Easiest way to do it is to click on your Home icon on the desktop, select "View", and then toggle "Show hidden files" to ON. Navigate your way to the .kde/Autostart folder, drag the Kmix icon from the "Multimedia" menu into the folder and then select "Copy here".

Regards

Martin
Dani Filth

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:13 am »

Yay! I saved session, now it works flawlessly after reboot Grin The speaker icon is available in the task bar as well
Thank you very much!

Another (minor) issue I just found out is about K3B, it burned the CD/DVD just fine, but even though I selected "Verify written data", it still automatically ejected the disc after writing without any verification, the progress bar was at 50% only. The discs were written ok though, but I just don't want K3B to finish w/o verifying.

Cheers,
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »

Yay! I saved session, now it works flawlessly after reboot Grin The speaker icon is available in the task bar as well
Thank you very much!

Another (minor) issue I just found out is about K3B, it burned the CD/DVD just fine, but even though I selected "Verify written data", it still automatically ejected the disc after writing without any verification, the progress bar was at 50% only. The discs were written ok though, but I just don't want K3B to finish w/o verifying.

Cheers,

IIRC, when the disk ejects reinsert it and it should finish checking the disk

DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:51 pm »

After successfully installed on my laptop w/o any issues, I tried to install VL KDE 3.5 on my home PC desktop too. Now I have 3 problems :

1/ My parents require me to leave a Windows partition for them (they just can't get used to Linux), and it's Windows 7. With previous version of 'doze like XP, VL detected the partition perfectly. However, I think with 'doze 7, it created a 100MB partition during installation, thus, VL failed to detect the system files, lilo only shows me the available Linux options and I have to manually edit and add 'doze to lilo.

2/ My PC screen resolution can be up to 1280x1024, but VL doesn't show me that option in Configure Desktop and only allows 1024x768 as maximum resolution (fyi, during installation, I chose "VESA" when it asked for screen settings).

3/ Wheel on mouse doesn't work, I can't scroll up & down in the page as it's supposed to work

Please tell me how do I get the 2nd & 3rd issues resolved, I will provide details if needed, thank you  Wink

EDIT : I used VXCONF now, and screen resolution issue is solved. But there's another issue with sound, there's no sound at all, even though flash works fine on web browser

On a side note, I would recommend using Grub hiding whenever using multiple WinOS installs on the same machine.
HowTo: Multiple, Independent WinXP Installs on the Same HardDrive via Grub.

And additional info for Win6/7: Hiding Parititons from Vista Installer

DrCR
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:33:40 pm by DrCR » Logged
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 02:49:17 pm »

YES!! Grin Love it!!

Because Vector is doesn't use KDE in it's standard release, and releases multiple versions, I'd hoping that they would  do exactly this. 

When I installed it, part of me was a little disappointed.  For Vector, who always releases such beautiful and distinctive desktops, at first glance, it seems like a bit of a vanilla release.  Maybe that's best since Vanilla KDE is a bit of a rare commodity nowadays.

Another independent move from the best of the independent distros. Thanks for being awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: