VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 09:29:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 6.0 KDE-Classic feedback  (Read 26950 times)
nj_jak

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 02:11:12 am »

After having tried this on out on the old lappy for some weeks, I have also installed on the tower now.

xconf could not setup my screen to 1680x1050, but visiting the ATI homepage provided me with the Radeon driver I needed. Looking very good now.
also had to run alsaconf  in a terminal to get sound working.

installed digikam 0.9.6 as per the thread in package requests, openoffice from the repo and danish language support from the repo.

This is now a very fine system, and I might consider NOT to go for 6.0 SOHO

Thank you all for the great effort Smiley
vectorrob

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 03:05:29 pm »

2 Weeks now with Vector and liking it more and more. Just works. can even use my main boxes printer and files, good grief!!!

Now for the desktop

Rob

Vector 6.0 KDE Lite on PIII old laptop
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 09:16:28 am »

I installed KDE-Classic recently and noticed that during the installation process, I was only given the choice to select/deselect 2 optional packages. I just installed it in VirtualBox for testing and I didn't really need either one of them so I deselected them both. When I finished the installation, I found that EVERYTHING else had been installed. While I don't really mind this time since I was only testing, I don't want to install everything if I put KDE-Classic on my main system. Did it just not show everything for some reason because I was in VirtualBox? Or is that just the way it is?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »

I installed KDE-Classic recently and noticed that during the installation process, I was only given the choice to select/deselect 2 optional packages. I just installed it in VirtualBox for testing and I didn't really need either one of them so I deselected them both. When I finished the installation, I found that EVERYTHING else had been installed. While I don't really mind this time since I was only testing, I don't want to install everything if I put KDE-Classic on my main system. Did it just not show everything for some reason because I was in VirtualBox? Or is that just the way it is?

The install process can't tell the difference from real hardware to a VM

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

KDE-Classic tries to be quite "complete" out of the box. If you want a minimal system, start with VL Light. It allows a very minimal install, which you can then customize to your liking.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 02:16:33 pm »

Ok. A related question then: The installer didn't give me a chance to select the display resolution. The monitor's resolution is 1280x1024. The installation's resolution is set at 1024x768 and it won't go any higher. How do I change that and make it 1280x1024?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

Try booting to text mode (linux-tui), log in as root and run "vxconf". Then test it with "startx".
frayja2002

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »

I was playing with this for a little while but seem to be unable to find the kdm (login) theme manager in the control center.
Am I missing something here?

Also I was wondering how I can change the default bash prompt. I have tried modifying .bashrc (in my local profile) & changed /etc/profile all without effect.
Is there another file somewhere that is controlling this?

Cheers
Alex
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 05:47:23 pm »

There is no theme manager for KDM included, sorry.

If you want to change the behavior of the default terminal emulator "konsole", open it and click "Settings" > "Configure Konsole".
becleave

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 10:12:27 am »

I just found this release today. Downloaded and installed .
I was surprised how fast the install went . Everything works great on an
IBM Thinkpad R32 .

At first, i had trouble with the networking. As it turns out, myisp went down at the time
 I first booted the installation!

This is the style I love about Vector Linux: simple and fully functional.
As its my first day, I am experimenting with replacing my over 2 year old install of
Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO on my tower pc . Its a hard choice, i love the old FF 2 and got used to
Seamonkey. But that can be fixed !

If I would have known about this distro, I would have tried it sooner.
Personally, I did not like the 'non-KDE' VLs .
No, this is the best so  far. Now, to dig in and 'test' for installing on my tower.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:14:45 am by becleave » Logged

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final for two years.
NOW , VL 6.0 KDE Classic

Intel 865 motherboard
3.0 ghz P4 with HT
2gb 400 ddr
Dual-boot XP and Vector Linux 6.0 KDE
ATI 9250 Radeon 256MB vram
WD 320GB HD
DVD-ROM and DVD-RW
Floppy, old 3com NIC
becleave

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »

I recently started a blog, and my last few posts have been VL related.

So, thought i would share :  http://cleaverb.tumblr.com/   .

Positives and negatives of KDE Classic  in todays post.

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final for two years.
NOW , VL 6.0 KDE Classic

Intel 865 motherboard
3.0 ghz P4 with HT
2gb 400 ddr
Dual-boot XP and Vector Linux 6.0 KDE
ATI 9250 Radeon 256MB vram
WD 320GB HD
DVD-ROM and DVD-RW
Floppy, old 3com NIC
reverendB

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:28 am »

Hello!

I love the Kde 3 edition. Like i come home. Thanks for your work and for Vector Linux Xfce too!

Danny

bligh

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2010, 09:15:30 am »

I have run vl classic kde3 live, and it looks great.  I have not been able to install the install version to the hdd,  the error says (something unexpected occurred and dumps me to a command line.  Live ran pretty fast on this modest box.
Cheers
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2010, 05:24:27 pm »

If the live installer doesn't work, you may want to download the install-only version and see how it does. That installer runs in a much leaner environment and may do better.
bligh

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2010, 07:18:45 pm »

I didn't  know there as an installer in the live version.  I was trying to install the install version. 
Cheers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: