VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:02:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE-CLASSIC 6.0 Final released!  (Read 27678 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 11, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »

The VectorLinux crew is proud to announce the final release of VL6.0-KDE-CLASSIC. This release is not about bleeding edge technology. On the other hand, it is not about nostalgia either. KDE 3.5.10 gets the job done. It is a mature and solid product with a large user base. Many of us are comfortable with it, and are not yet ready to leave it behind. We thought it only right to make a robust system with KDE 3.5.10 at the helm.

The classic text installer will quickly have you up and running with the expected KDE tools.
The Koffice suite is fast and suitable for everyday word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. Multimedia capabilities have been enhanced with the inclusion of VLC Media Player, Xine and the Mplayer application and plugin. For Internet usage, Firefox is the default browser, with Java and Flash pre-installed. The Pidgin multi-protocol Instant Messenger is an optional install. Web cameras are supported. Wireless networking is easily configured using Wicd. Dial-up is handled by the Chestnut dialer. The KDE game collection provides entertainment for the young and the young at heart.

After installation, your system is easily managed and extended using the VASM Control Center and the Gslapt Package Manager.

Download your copy here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-KDE-Classic.iso
md5sum: 67cb1719b7c372859cba857a94c10c3d

Feedback is welcomed in this thread:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10834.0

Cheers,
Vec
Neo

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »

Hey that's great news!

I have VL KDE RC1 installed.
Do I have to download and install the final version or can I simply update using Gslapted and be upgraded to the final version?

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:06:40 pm »

You will have to download and re-install.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nj_jak

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:09 pm »

Great news - downloading now - installing soon  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Neo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:30 pm »

You will have to download and re-install.

Done!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:06:29 am »

We made the front page of DW!  Grin
PolMacIomhair

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:58:13 pm »

quite simply put , thank you so much for doing what not other linux does say it as it is , kde 3 is most certainly deserving of the this release , u now have taken me away finally from mandriva 2008.1 , into the slackware world full time, i purchase both of your wonderfull distros soho for work and has saved me a fortune on upgrading the pc and software , it impressed me so much i purchase v6.0 delux for my laptop but i just could not adapt to it , i think kde classic will finally allow me to return , dam im so fecking excited to see this happening
keyfitter

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:31 pm »

Great!!!   Thank you!  I'm not ready for KDE 4 just yet after years of 3.xx since 2004.
I have been using XFCE with 6.0 Deluxe as I seemed to have nothing but problems
with KDE on this machine. I installed KDE-CLASSIC and only had to install the ATI
proprietary driver. Works great. Smiley
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:56 am »

Awesome !!
downloading now ...
Thanks for the great work!

cheers

registered user #393337

2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ / 4 gb ram / GeForce GT220 / 500 gb HD / VL7 Std

Samsung NP110 / VL7 Std
caieng

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:46:17 am »

Thank you for the release.

I enjoy the bright red background, though, I confess, I much preferred the elegant snowy landscape of the previous version.

Two problems, I am sure both are readily solved, I simply am ignorant.

a.  resolution:  I have a screen resolution of 800 x 600, though it ought to be 1024 x 768 (as it is with both windows xp and with Puppy Linux.
start: VASM: Summary:  System:  Display:  resolution:  1024x768, but, it won't show this as an option when I try to invoke it.
(logged in as root)

b.  web cams.  None show up.  I have a fire wire web cam.  How to see it?  I don't find a program accessible to show the image, though it works fine with xp, dual booting....Vector Linux does recognize the Texas Instruments Fire Wire PCI controller.

regards,
caieng
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:22:14 am »

caieng, if you have a red background, it indicates that you are running X as root. This is not recommended for daily use. You should log in as a regular user, which is safer. The default desktop should be prettier as well.  Wink

For your webcam, please try Menu > Multimedia > Webcam Application. I think this is the first feedback from someone with a firewire camera, so we're interested to hear if it works.

For your screen resolution problem, please start a new thread here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?board=24.0
Please include as much information as you can, such as: your VL version, specifications of your computer, make of video card etc., and the output of the commands "lspci" and "lsmod". You can copy from the text terminal or pipe the output of those commands to a text file like this: "lspci > pci_list.txt".
melloe

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:54:09 am »

I like KDE4.XX well enough, but it seems a bit heavy on an older box I have.  'Thanks!
Some distros are leaving out K3B, ktorrent and and a few ( what I consider ) other staples because KDE4 and associated libraries won't fit on a CD.
Will be trying this soon.
Thanks
caieng

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »

Quote from: nightflier
if you have a red background, it indicates that you are running X as root.

Thank you nightflier, for your response.  Much appreciated.

I run as root, because of discovering that if not, one receives nasty error messages informing one that it is not possible to make whatever change one wishes.  In this case, I sought to change the screen resolution, which I envisioned as being some sort of "system" type command, and therefore, I supposed that to have a change affecting the entire system, not just for me logging in as me, but for me, even when I am parading as root, that I would need to make the change as "root", not as me.  If I can make the change without being "root', fine, then, we can eliminate "root".  That would be my preference.  I don't experience this schizophrenic problem with XP.

Screen resolution.  I finally figured out what you meant.  You meant to write, but did not, go to start, then click on terminal, NOT (as I of course did!!! hahaha, what a moron!) "Run Command".  that only produced an error message.

Now the funny thing is that after running lspci > info.txt, lsmod > moreinfo.txt and then again invoking the browser for internet, i.e. "firefox", (since seamonkey, which I normally use, is unavailable,) I discovered that the resolution WAS NOW CORRECTLY DISPLAYING 1024 x 768.  Wonderful.  That problem is solved.  Vector Linux now displays as well as Puppy Linux and XP.  Hurrah.  The new problem is that, unlike Puppy Linux, or Crunchbang Linux, both of which play OGG files on clicking, VL just asks me, which application I want to use, and of course, I am accustomed to using VLC, but willing  to use any other application, however, when I choose "browse", BOOM, nothing.  no choice.  Where is VLC?  IF VLC is not available, which application should I use instead, and how do I find it?

Web cam:  not so lucky here:  I followed your instructions, (thank you, very clear!!!)  Here's the error messages:

Cannot open /dev/video0.
Please check if your system has the correct driver for your webcam, or change the webcam device in settings->preferences.

So, I fiddled a bit with one of the drop down menus, and changed the camera type to 1394, and restarted the application, but I received this error message.  Perhaps it is necessary to reboot?

Error recording!
Perhaps the device hasn't been correctly open

Anyway, thanks very much for your excellent advice....
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 02:59:43 pm »

You are correct that you have to be root to make system changes. In XP, all users always have "root privileges". Linux has a different philosophy. The idea is, that these changes can affect the safe operation of the machine, but only need to be run occasionally. Your video capabilities are initially configured as root, but after that it is possible to change your resolution as regular user by just right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "Configure Desktop" > "Display".

OGG files: Not sure if you mean in browser or file manager, but the VLC executable is found at "/usr/bin/vlc".

Browser: You can install Seamonkey using Start > System > "Gslapt package manager". Click the "Update" button, let it finish, then use the search bar to find the application. Click the sqare next to it and select "mark for installation", then click the "Execute" button.

For the firewire camera, it would be helpful with a separate thread in the "Hardware & Drivers" section.
caieng

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 05:41:29 am »

Quote from: nightflier
Browser: You can install Seamonkey using Start > System > "Gslapt package manager". Click the "Update" button, let it finish, then use the search bar to find the application. Click the sqare next to it and select "mark for installation", then click the "Execute" button.
Umm, wow. where to begin:  How about this:  THANK YOU.
Very much appreciated.  I had no idea how to do that.
however, if I may be permitted, as one totally oblivious, to offer a small criticism, when I followed your perfect explanation above, I was a little bit disappointed to find seamonkey version 1.18, instead of the more recent version 2.0, which I have been using for about a month or so, now, on xp.

It seems to me, that this version of Vector Linux, which proudly exhibits an obsolete version of KDE, ought nevetheless deliver the newest versions of other components, for example, the kernel, or vlc media player, or web cam modules, and so on...

I did not really follow the argument made for selecting the older version of KDE, but I didn't object to it, because, frankly, I don't use KDE.  I wish that vector linux used one of the other, less resource intensive windows managers.  I have no need for "Konqueror", and so on,....

I do need a performant, robust, easily modifiable operating system, and what I have discovered is that this forum, especially "nightflier", is the biggest asset which vector linux possesses.

I still prefer the former desktop image with the winter landscape, so I am not yet sold on this particular version of Vector Linux.  I am sold on this forum.  Wonderful.

Thanks again.
CAI ENG
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: