VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 05:22:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-SOHO-BETA release bugs and feedback  (Read 17300 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »

try booting the cd with "gui vga=794" and let us know if it helps

I tried and it made it worse! I didn't get a GUI screen with a logo after the two initial "loading" kernel and init-something finished. Instead the screen went black with the Not Optimum Mode box floating on the screen. The keyboard is unresponsive. Pressing the monitor buttons for menu, etc., doesn't do anything. The only way out is to turn off the computer with the power button.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »

granny,
the next option would be to try "gui vga=normal"
or "gui vga=normal 2" for runlevel 2 where you can play more with xorg.conf manually.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 03:33:42 pm »

the next option would be to try "gui vga=normal"
or "gui vga=normal 2" for runlevel 2 where you can play more with xorg.conf manually.

I don't think I made it clear that there is no runlevel 2 to go to and of course, no xorg.conf. The problem is not getting a viewable display after the installation; the problem is that I can't get SOHO installed at all. So adjusting run levels makes no difference. There are NO runlevels at this time because nothing is installed.

The Not Optimum Mode message comes up right after you pick a resolution for the INSTALLER to run, not after the installation is complete except for final configuration. If I select 1280x1024 or 1024x768, the screen goes blank and the Not Optimum Mode message floats. If I pick 800x600 or 640x480, the graphical installer comes up with the keyboard and language screen. On the next screen (searching for installable media) I get a box with

The application has received an unexpected error and must abort.
[217]Out of bounds
mdlMain 7 0

(I'm not sure about that last line because the text is too small and blurry to read accurately)

When I click OK I get a gray screen. That is the screen for JWM, but it's not installed on the hard drive. It's in memory or on the CD. If I mouse down to the bottom of the screen, I get the Menu button, but there are no choices that can help me. If I choose Logout, it doesn't log out, it shuts down. I looked at the files in Midnight Commander in hopes I could find a command for the installer, but I couldn't.

Again, this JWM screen is NOT coming from an installed VectorLinux. There is nothing installed on the hard drive. The installer never gets to the point of asking me where to put SOHO. I can't get past this very early point in the graphical installation and there is no text installer I can try instead.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »

Thanks for the link. It does not match up with my situation, so is not helpful. I have never gotten a Not Optimum Mode message when using Windows or any of the many other VectorLinuxes I have installed on this computer. I currently have Windows 98SE, Windows XP, VL6 Standard Deluxe, VL6 Light, and two earlier versions of VectorLinux left over from beta testing VL6 Standard. As an active tester, I have installed VL many times and have never gotten a Not Optimum Mode message. I think it's actually bogus and something else is going on. If the mesage comes up you have no choice but to turn off the power with the computer's power button. The monitor is basically not functioning at that point and no keyboard input or mouse input is possible. Nor do the monitor's buttons for menu, etc., work. There is no way to try different refresh rates or do any other adjustments at that point.

If I choose a resolution of 800x600 or lower, I do get into the GUI installer, but at the second step (searching for installable media) I get a message that the application has received an unexpected error and must abort. That ends the installation.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:07:48 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »

the installer evironment is a linux system with runlevels just like your installed system. the main difference is that it runs in ram instead of from your HD. it does have an xorg.conf, although I dont think we need to worry about that if you can get to the gui installer.

you can run the gui installer by opening a terminal and typing "/root/speedy/vinstall-ng.gambas"  I dont think this will give you any different results than you got the first time though.
the gui installer can also be ran from the gambas IDE, by running "gambas2" from a terminal, then when the gambas IDE opens clicking on open project and browsing to the /root/speedy dir.
I imagine you will get the same results there, but when the installer crashes you will see the line of code highlighted where the crash happens and with that info we may be able to squash this bug.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 03:55:13 pm »

granny,

The installer is, in essence, a live linux environment and does contain run levels. You can directly access init 2 by issuing 'gui 2' at the boot prompt, and the boot prompt I'm referring to is the prompt you initially see after the system start booting from the CD (this is before VL is installed and before ever choosing your resolution).

edit: looks like Uel beat me to it Cheesy
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »

Here's a quick synopsis (from memory) of what I generally see: After intial boot of CD, I get the 'boot:' option. I click Enter and shortly thereafter the VectorLinux Loading Installer splash screen appears for many seconds. After that, a monitor resolution option screen comes up asking what resolution to use. After picking one I see the usual 'testing X configuration' message, followed shortly by several terminal lines - the last being something like 'logging in as root'. At this point, the screen flickers and up pops the installer. 

That is the point at which I get the black screen and Not Optimum Mode message if I chose a resolution greater than 800x600. Once the messaage pops up there is no input accepted from keyboard or mouse and the monitor buttons do not do anything. I have to shut down with the computer's power button.

If one were to Quit the installer they would be left with what looks to be a completely gray screen with mouse pointer - this screen is JWM and the auto-hide menu is in the lower left.

Yes, I discovered that. However, that's not JWM installed on the hard drive. The Menu offers only about four options. GParted is one of them, but my drive is already partitioned as I want it and even if I used GParted, there's no way to make the Installer continue.

If I choose 800x600 or lower I go into the GUI Installer screens. However, at the second step (Searching for installable media), I get this message:

The application has received an unexpected error and must abort.
[217]Out of bounds
mdlMain 7 0

(I'm not sure about that last line because the text is too small and blurry to read accurately)

That shuts down the GUI installer but the JWM screen is still there. However, there's nothing I can do with it at that point and I can't find a way to make the GUI installer continue. If I pick Logout, I don't get a logout but an orderly shutdown.

The video is an ATI Radeon 9200 and the monitor is a Samsung 19" 1280x1024 LCD. Neither has given any trouble with my other VectorLinux and Windows installations. Also, I got the same Not Optimum Mode message when I booted with the CD on my other desktop, which has a 1600x1200 LCD. I thought maybe the CD was bad so I burned another one, with the same results. I also redownloaded the first ISO just in case something went wrong with the download. I couldn't find an MD5 sum to check.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 04:10:09 pm »

Newt and Uel,
I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know the results. Thanks!

I may not get to this today, but I wonder if the message I quoted above that I get at Step 2 of the Installer (searching for installable media) gives any clues. [217]Out of bounds.

I should also mention that I have three hard drives in this system. The first and second are attached to the motherboard connectors. The third is attached to a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller. There are already three Linux installations on that drive that work perfectly. The DVD drive is attached to one of the motherboard connectors.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:16:14 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 08:55:39 pm »

running soho vl6 b1 so far so fine ,
APART from not function of RTL8187 usb wifi, tried VLwifi and Kernel 2.6.27.29/38.& 2.6.30  still not function of wifi....
no Internet access still on soho b1, Sad
ANy fix kernel or command available?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 09:50:09 am »

Finally got the time to install the beta. Oh dear. I wish I had stuck with the last alpha. It worked. This doesn't.

System - Lenovo T61 (2.0 GHz Core2Duo, Intel graphics, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA hard drive).

The install went fine until reboot. When it came up with the final config options (for X and the mouse), I chose the first option. At which point I got a brief flicker of hard drive activity, followed by absolutely nothing at all.

The machine appeared completely locked up. All I could do was switch off. Not something I like doing to any machine.

By using the exit option, I was able to get the system to boot to text mode. I've since tried setting up X through Vasm, which gets exactly the same result - non-blinking cursor and the X session completely locked up. I am able to access other virtual consoles, so I have some logs. Interestingly, even when I log into a virtual console, I get a 'Cannot open display "default display"' error.

I've tried copying an xorg.conf from a working 6.0 Standard (no use), plus using the xorg.conf-fbdev or xorg.conf-vesa found in /etc/X11 (also no use). So far, I cannot get an even vaguely functional system out of the beta.

To add insult to injury, I see that the GUI installer is still creating a first user with a UID of 1001, at least if it finds other users in /home. For me, this is a complete show stopper.

The CDs were fully checked before use, and the install itself went without any errors.

paul
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 01:06:14 pm »

The problem seems to be much more than just xorg. In fact, xorg is probably fine.

Running an lsmod, there were no modules loaded at all. I ran 'depmod -a' in the hopes of getting kernel modules to load.

Now I can't even get to any of the virtual consoles - I get a non-blinking cursor and nothing else at all. Power switch time....

Some of the errors I'm getting are as below:

Code:
Nov 15 20:32:56 (none) kernel: VFS: Mounted root (xfs filesystem) readonly on device 8:11.
Nov 15 20:32:59 (none) avahi-daemon[3058]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider install
ing nss-mdns!
Nov 15 20:33:03 (none) nmbd[3157]: [2009/11/15 20:33:03, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:create_subnets(190)
Nov 15 20:33:03 (none) nmbd[3157]:   create_subnets: No non-loopback local interfaces !
Nov 15 20:33:03 (none) nmbd[3157]: [2009/11/15 20:33:03, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:create_subnets(191)
Nov 15 20:33:03 (none) nmbd[3157]:   create_subnets: Waiting for an interface to appear ...
Nov 15 20:33:07 (none) kdm[3175]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
Nov 15 20:33:07 (none) kdm[3175]: Unable to fire up local display :0; disabling.

I'll have to see if I can start in TUI and get some idea of what is going on. My first attempt failed completely.

paul.
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 09:18:46 am »

Please post bugs and comments about the latest VL6-SOHO beta release here.

Thanks,
Vec

After trying out the  new V6 SOHO, I was a little unimpressed.

In terms of boot times, Vector startup is like the old Windows 98.  My standard is Amit's Talkin's (version of) Windows Xp3 (20 sec to logon on old pc133 ram), Ultimate Edition 2.4, Xpud or Tiny Core(15 sec).

If it takes longer than that then it's more like something from the past, not the present or future.   As far as graphics is concerned V6 hard to beat. 

There seems to be no way of installing the KDE wallpaper from KDE-Look.org.  Am I missing a plugin for the classic KDE wallpaper? 

Another minus is that Compiz (or compiz-fusion) is not installed as default.  NimbleX has that.  I think it would be about time for this anticipated inclusion to be equipped in this new SOHO edition.  Imagine a Linux operating system without that? 

Futhermore, V6's control of Xine is poor and too slow, especially if the first 2 tracks are skits, then it tends to be lost in a loop.  However, I do prefer a better example of  Xine to auto-accept the default plugin device.

There is a toolbar next to the browsers that can't seem to get out of my way, somtimes.

It's bad enough that Opera 10.10, Netscape (for AOL Radio), Boxee, Banshee, Nicotine, MediaMonkey, Jalbum, Rythmbox, MythTv, Supreme Gamer games (all of them), Virtual Clone Drive, TrueCrypt, Virtual Box, Keypass, Peazip, Xcopy, Xara5, CrossOver, Volumouse, Parental Control, and Pstart is not included, but I still can't get Frostwire running. 

It's bad enough that Opera 10.10, Netscape (for AOL Radio), Boxee, Banshee, Nicotine, MediaMonkey, Jalbum, Rythmbox, MythTv, Supreme Gamer games (all of them), Virtual Clone Drive, TrueCrypt, Virtual Box, Keypass, Peazip, Xcopy, Xara5, CrossOver, Volumouse, Parental Control, and Pstart is not included, but I still can't get Frostwire running.  I won't quite say I feel like I'm in OS prison, but sometimes I  do feel boxed-in.

To the developers:  these are modern times and it wouldn't hurt none to offer a DVD option to offer a whole lot more!  And it might be time to seriously consider a 64-bit SOHO so it might not be so-ho-hum at start-up time.

Vector has so much potential, it's catch-up time. To convince people to leave Microsoft to suffer these shortcoming is not moving foward, despite Linux potential benefits.  People will find that unacceptable.  Aside from these drawbacks, this might be the linux to behold (until Glendix filesystem debuts). 

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »

-no problems with installation except a bit slow compared to other editions of VL6
-once in KDE seems sluggish compared to classic
-unable to get wifi going in SOHO beta or classic (no problems in standard); I haven't searched for an answer yet though.
-tux-on-ice works for the first time on this laptop with 5.9 or 6.0 (I never pursued the fixes when using nvidia graphics before or now.)
-still getting used to KDE 4...not sure that I like it which doesn't help
-boot time for me seems to be faster than standard but I haven't timed either one

I need a lot more time than I have right now to work on this which makes the above all the more frustrating.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 07:59:45 am »

I've just done another clean install of the beta. No problems with the install (selective, I don't install a boot loader since I've already got Grub installed), everything other than the ATI, Nvidia drivers and Opera installed. I'm using xfs as a file system (since I've still got legacy Grub in use - didn't think it would handle EXT4).

On the first reboot, I chose the Vesa option, in the hopes of avoiding the lockup that happened with autoprobe. This time, I get a doubled, no blinking cursor. I can't even get into a console - all I get is a shadowy, huge outline of the normal sigon messages, no prompt, nothing else.

I've had a number of different distros installed on this machine - Vector 5.9, 6 standard and 6 light, Zenwalk, Salix, Fedora 11, OpenSUSE 11.1. None of them have given me this sort of problem. No other version of Vector has ever given me anything like this sort of problem either.

I'm reasonably sure that the problem is not the kernel (well, not inherently, anyway), since I'm running a vanilla build of the same kernel as an option on my Zenwalk 6.2 install, where it works without problems.

I don't know what the reason for this is, but if necessary, I can provide copies of syslog and xorg logs. As things stand, the beta is a complete waste of time and bandwidth for me.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »

you can run the gui installer by opening a terminal and typing "/root/speedy/vinstall-ng.gambas"  I dont think this will give you any different results than you got the first time though.
the gui installer can also be ran from the gambas IDE, by running "gambas2" from a terminal, then when the gambas IDE opens clicking on open project and browsing to the /root/speedy dir.
I imagine you will get the same results there, but when the installer crashes you will see the line of code highlighted where the crash happens and with that info we may be able to squash this bug.

When I typed /root/speedy/vinstall-ng.gambas at a terminal prompt, I got a long list of MANY Gdk-CRITICAL errors, the final one of which was
MdlMain,?0: #21: Out of bounds

(the type is very small and hard to read, so I might have something wrong there)

When I ran gambas2 and picked vinstall-ng.gambas, I didn't know what to do or what I was doing at all. I picked Debug and eventually got a box on screen that said
X Out of bounds

I assume "Out of bounds" is the final word, but have no idea what that means. Does this help in identifying the error that prevents the GUI installer from running?

The following results are interesting. I wanted to see what happened on my other laptop (the Athlon 64 X2), so I booted with the CD. When I got to the first screen for picking a resolution and I chose the monitor's native 1600x1200, I got the same black screen with Not Optimum Mode as on the other desktop and it requires turning the computer off with the power button. When i rebooted, I chose 800x600 for the resolution, which did proceed to the GUI Installer. I also get to the GUI Installer screen when I choose 800x600 on the other desktop.

I'm wondering if other people are using high resolutions with LCD monitors when they install. Could there be some bug in the installer that can't handle high resolutions? Two different computers, two different video cards/chips, two different monitors. Yet both can proceed only if I choose 800x600 or lower.

On the Celeron desktop, I get the fatal error at the Searching for installable media screen. On the Athlon desktop, there is no error and the GUI installer proceeds to the next step, at which point I canceled because I don't want to install the SOHO beta on that computer. I think I can safely conclude that it works on that computer.

I am wondering whether the Celeron is confusing the installer because one of the three hard drives is connected to a Promise controller card. I have VL6 Standard on two partitions of that drive and VL has no problems at all with the Promise controller, but it's the only thing I can think of that might be preventing the SOHO beta from installing.

If you want me to do more testing or try anything else, let me know.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: