Installed B1.1 last night. Install was without major problems (a few minor glitches, see below).
This time it works! No lockups, X is working as it should. Thank you!
Install was to existing partitions, selective, with ati, nvidia, and opera deselected. At the start of the install, I chose the UK keyboard layout, and made sure that the box to keep locale selections was ticked. To get round the UID problem, I skipped creating a user, logged in as root and created a user using VasmCC.
Keyboard layout after the install is wrong for both X and console - in both instances, I have a default US layout, not the UK layout that I selected.
When I enabled desktop effects, I ended up with X locked up - window borders lost their buttons, and all I could do was CTRL-ALT-BkSpace to kill X and try again. Second time round, I was able to enable the desktop effects without further problems.
Had to fiddle to get sound working - this seems to be a common problem with the Intel HD audio. I had to open the KDE mixer, select configure controls, tick the speaker control, close the mixer, reopen it, and then unmute the speaker. After that, sound works...
Still can't say I like KDE all that much, but it seems to be functional...