VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 07:26:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-SOHO-BETA release bugs and feedback  (Read 18327 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 04:42:43 am »

The screen resolution should have nothing to do with the installer. If x is running, the installer should run. What we need is for you to run the ide slike you did, and clicl on 'open project' then navigate to /root/speedy in the dialog and click ok. Once the project loads, click the play icon on the toolbar towards the top of the screen.
When the installer crashes, it will tell you which line is causing the error.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »

Smiley

If you want me to do more testing or try anything else, let me know.
--GrannyGeek

Me and Moe have been trying to figure this out, I think it must have to do with the way the promise controller is showing the HD.

If you can post the results of a few commands we may be able to figure it out.

the commands are:
probedisk
probepart
parted -l
fdisk -l
and:
parted -l | grep ^Disk | cut -f2 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d':'

The output should be fine on any VL version.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:03 am »

Installed the Beta on the darned Intel GMA4500 lappy and there is still no way to get xorg to work. Not even in vesa or framebuffer mode... Huh

For testing, I then tried upgradepkg "Slack13DVD"/slackware/x/*.txz, but that doesn't work either, so I had to go with upgradepkg -i, as in the Alpha2, that does the trick, meaning we are probably missing some part of xorg. Also, I don't think this Intel graphics controller is going to be anything like a rarity hardware, so something really needs to be done about it.

A few more notes:
- the k3b cursor doesn't stop spinning (same as on the Alpha2).
- the taskbar ghost entry seems to be still there, but I will wait till I get a repeat to be sure.
- During install, the package installer gets stuck with "koffice" as the first part of the description after installing the real koffice package, I observed this for ooorg and several more packs.

Some good news:
- the konsole window graphic glitches are gone, KDE 4.3.3 seems be quite a step forward from 4.3.2 (bug-wise).
- the keyboard layout applet is there in System Settings / Regional & language OK.
- I figured out that the mc unreadable colours issue I had on the Alpha2 depended on the konsole colours setting. (Unfortunately, my personal favourite, green text on black, causes the issue.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 11:36:13 am »

Installed B1.1 last night. Install was without major problems (a few minor glitches, see below). 

Cool This time it works! No lockups, X is working as it should. Thank you!

Install was to existing partitions, selective, with ati, nvidia, and opera deselected. At the start of the install, I chose the UK keyboard layout, and made sure that the box to keep locale selections was ticked. To get round the UID problem, I skipped creating a user, logged in as root and created a user using VasmCC.

Keyboard layout after the install is wrong for both X and console - in both instances, I have a default US layout, not the UK layout that I selected.

When I enabled desktop effects, I ended up with X locked up - window borders lost their buttons, and all I could do was CTRL-ALT-BkSpace to kill X and try again. Second time round, I was able to enable the desktop effects without further problems.

Had to fiddle to get sound working - this seems to be a common problem with the Intel HD audio. I had to open the KDE mixer, select configure controls, tick the speaker control, close the mixer, reopen it, and then unmute the speaker. After that, sound works...

Still can't say I like KDE all that much, but it seems to be functional...

More later.

paul.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 11:49:32 am »

- the konsole window graphic glitches are gone, KDE 4.3.3 seems be quite a step forward from 4.3.2 (bug-wise).

Guess I spoke too soon, just got this again, the window decor disappears.

One good thing I forgot to mention, this time around, Intel HD audio worked without fiddling with /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Just the opposite of toothandnail, lol.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 12:08:14 pm »

Guess I spoke too soon, just got this again, the window decor disappears.

That sounds a lot like the effect I got the first time I tried to enable desktop effects. Hasn't happened since (fingers crossed...)

One good thing I forgot to mention, this time around, Intel HD audio worked without fiddling with /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Just the opposite of toothandnail, lol.

Smiley Weird.....

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 12:20:00 pm »

@toothandnail
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around your problem with the uid value.
Can you explain to me why you can't 'import' a user account from the installation window? or why it *has to be 1000*
PM me if you'd like

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 03:20:01 pm »

Joe, you and paul are using different versions with different kernels.

Paul, I did some work in the installer to try and get you 1000, can you reinstall and create a user in the installer so we can see if it works or not?

Thanks,
Uel
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:13:00 pm »

Me and Moe have been trying to figure this out, I think it must have to do with the way the promise controller is showing the HD.

If you can post the results of a few commands we may be able to figure it out.

the commands are:
probedisk
probepart
parted -l
fdisk -l
and:
parted -l | grep ^Disk | cut -f2 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d':'

The output should be fine on any VL version.

The results of the commands are in the attached file. I ran them from a jwm terminal while I was trying to install. The ISO I burned to CD was a different kernel version than the regular beta download, as I was requested to test to see if a different kernel fixed things. It didn't. I had the exact same results. Let me know if you see anything that might be the culprit.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 05:53:48 am »

I dont see anything out of wack on your output.
I have made a couple of changes in the way the installer detects hard disks. I'm almost positive this will be solved for you in the next release.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 10:03:42 am »

@toothandnail
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around your problem with the uid value.
Can you explain to me why you can't 'import' a user account from the installation window? or why it *has to be 1000*
PM me if you'd like

Smiley Ok.....

At the moment, I've got Zenwalk 6.2, Vector 6.0 Gold, Vector 6.0 Light, Vector 5.9, Vector 6.0 SOHO beta and Salix installed (you'd never guess that I like Slackware derived distros, would you....). I build packages for Zenwalk, Vector and Salix.

By having users of all the distros with a UID of 1000, I can share a lot of common files (mail, my Osmo calendar, SSH keys, etc) between all of them. Unfortunately, with SOHO creating a first user with something other than UID 1000, my sharing doesn't work for SOHO. A real pain.

As for importing a user, that's not a problem when I have an existing install. However, with SOHO, I needed to create a new user, hence the problem with the UID 1001 or 1002 that the installer has been using recently.

I don't suppose that there are many other people who do this, but I still think it would be a good idea to continue creating a first user on install with a UID of 1000, which maintains Slackware compatability, apart from anything else...

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:02 am »

Paul, I did some work in the installer to try and get you 1000, can you reinstall and create a user in the installer so we can see if it works or not?

Thanks,
Uel

Ok, will do. I presume this means pulling the new installer out of svn?

It may not be possible for me to do so until Monday - I'm working all weekend, then back on for Monday night. Unfortunately, if I install while at work, I have to do the install without a net connection.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to try the installer update.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:05 am »

Thanks,
Uel

Ok, will do. I presume this means pulling the new installer out of svn?

paul.
No, this change is not in svn, it is only in the B1.1 iso.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 10:19:51 am »

@Toothandnail
The installer will create the first user with UID of 1000 on a clean /home partition.
Let me explain.
There are far more serious consecuences from just blindly picking a uid without considering what already exists in the /home partition.
We had a situation during pre-alpha testing where a whole user's home got just about trashed because of bad permissions and stuff.

This is why I decided to write the mechanism in the way that it works now.
The UID counter does start at 1000, but there are a few things that it takes into consideration.
If you have an existing home partition in the target with a uid of 1000, The installer will avoid using that UID value unless you import this account. This uid is 'reserved' for the existing user acount to be imported. This is because, for instance.
Let's say you added a new account first, and it had the uid value of 1000.
And then you decided that you want to import the existing account too, which also has a uid of 1000
You can see where the conflict will start here.
according to /etc/group and /etc/passwd, user 1000 is the 'new' account,
but you expect user 1000 to have access to the old /home/user_1000 directory.

This is why the installer analyzes the existing home directories and reserves those uid's registered there.
This is why, if you will be sharing a home directory with another distro, you should always just import it

HTH

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »

@Toothandnail
The installer will create the first user with UID of 1000 on a clean /home partition.
Let me explain.
<snip>
This is why the installer analyzes the existing home directories and reserves those uid's registered there.
This is why, if you will be sharing a home directory with another distro, you should always just import it

I follow the logic, but I think you are still missing the point - I can't import a user for a new install, since the existing users belong to other distros or installs...

I've also got to say that I've been using this method for almost 3 years, and have never had any problem with either the creation or maintenance of multiple users with a UID of 1000.

Smiley In fact, I've used this method many times with the Vector installer, both the original TUI mode installer and the older version of the GUI installer. In that respect, the TUI installer never had a problem importing users, but never did follow instruction about what not to reset in the imported user data. The older GUI was much better at importing, and had no problems creating a new user, which, of course, used UID 1000.

If I have to, I can use the method I did for my most recent install - not creating a user during install, then using Vasm to create a user later. Its a pain, though.

I would also have to say that if I create a user at UID 1000, then import an existing user that already has that UID, I probably deserve all the problems I create....

paul.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: