VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 03:16:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-SOHO-BETA release bugs and feedback  (Read 17266 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2009, 06:55:10 pm »

My suggestion to granny is.
If this is a real swap partition, fire up gparted and delete it then re-create it and then see if the problem persists.

YES!!! I did what you said and was able to install beta 1.

I did get a bit of a nasty surprise when I deleted the swap partition at /dev/hde6. This left empty space, which I filled by immediately creating a Linux swap partition with gparted. I expected that gparted would leave the other partitions identified as they were before I deleted /dev/hde6. It didn't. It renamed /dev/hde7 to /dev/hde6, /dev/hde8 to /dev/hde7, and /dev/hde9 to /dev/hde8. It named the new swap partition (formerly /dev/hde6) to /dev/hde9. So the partitions in physical order on the drive are /dev/hde5, /dev/hde9/, /dev/hde6, /dev/hde7, /dev/hde8. I did have to edit lilo.conf on /dev/hda10 (where I have lilo on the boot sector) to change the partition locations and I had to edit /etc/fstab on /dev/hda10 and on the two VectorLinux partitions I'm keeping, but that's not much of a problem.

I still get the Not Optimum Mode if I select 1280x1024 at the first screen where you select your resolution before the Installer itself starts. However, I was able to select 1024x768 and it worked and looked much, much better than 800x600, which was almost impossible to read. The GUI Installer then worked fine and loaded both CDs.

When I was continuing the setup for X after the initial reboot after installation, I did get a Not Optimum Mode and the computer stopped functioning requiring a power-off with the switch. I am currently downloading beta 1.2 and will see if that fixes the problem. If not, I should be able to compare xorg.conf with xorg.conf on my other VL partitions, where I have never gotten a Not Optimum Mode message.

Thank you very much for hunting down the cause of my installation problem. I'm sure some other people will run into the error and we all want to be sure that everyone who downloads the SOHO ISO can get it installed.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2009, 07:40:51 pm »

Did you apply changes in gparted after deleting hde6 and re-creating it again?

I meant just just delete it, and re-create it and then click apply

I'm glad you got through the install process though.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 09:03:33 pm »

Did you apply changes in gparted after deleting hde6 and re-creating it again?

I meant just just delete it, and re-create it and then click apply

I probably ran apply after deleting it and apply again after I recreated it. I don't remember. Oh well, as long as everything is working...
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:48 am »

Sorry to report - b1.4 really doesn't like my hardware at all. If I let the installer start, I get a grey screen with a non-blinking cursor. Power off time.

Starting with 'gui 2' gets me to a command prompt without problems, but using 'startx' at that point has exactly the same effect as letting the installer start - grey screen, non-blinking cursor. Power off is the only option.

paul.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:01 am »

Paul ....Granny we have soho beta1,6 up now for you to try...............fingers crossed.........Smiley
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/VL6.0-SOHO-B1.6-CD2.iso
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/VL6.0-SOHO-B1.6.iso

All please try these...............hoping to jump to beta2 soon

thanks,
Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2009, 04:45:09 pm »

Paul ....Granny we have soho beta1,6 up now for you to try...............fingers crossed.........Smiley
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/VL6.0-SOHO-B1.6-CD2.iso
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/VL6.0-SOHO-B1.6.iso

All please try these...............hoping to jump to beta2 soon

thanks,
Vec

Grin Cool It works!

Install went without issues (even got the correct screen resolution for the T61 without prompting). First impressions are that it seems a bit quicker than it was as well.

Natuarally, not everything is as it should be. One really strange and completely new bug - the down arrow on my keyboard doesn't work anymore. This applies to both text programs (like MC) and graphical apps like OOo. Only applies in X though - from the console, the arrow keys work fine.

Also, while the correct keyboard layout is now preserved in X after the install, it is not correctly set in console - I'm getting default US keyboard layout there.

In this instance, I imported the user I created manually the last time I was able to install (the last Alpha, I think). I don't know whether this might have some effect on the keyboard problem above, but I may try installing again after deleting the user and manually create a new user for the new install.

More later, once I've had a chance to see what I can break Smiley

Oh, I forgot - first time ever with the T61, sound works out of the box - no fiddling with mixer settings required Smiley

paul.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:47:13 pm by toothandnail » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:41 pm »

Paul,
Wonderful news!

try this xorg.conf and see how it works for you.
Code:
uel:$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf                     
Section "ServerFlags"                           
 Option  "AutoAddDevices" "False"               
 Option  "AutoEnableDevices" "False"             
EndSection                                       

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "us"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
Option  "Xkbvariant"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_VARIANT!
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option      "Protocol" "auto"
Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
 Driver        "synaptics"
 Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
 Option        "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
 Option        "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
 Option        "SHMconfig"         "true"
 Option        "HorizScrollDelta"  "0"
 Option        "VertEdgeScroll"  "1"
 Option        "TapButton1"  "1"
EndSection
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2009, 06:55:34 pm »

Paul,
I guess all that finger crossing paid off..........................Smiley
Lets hope we have the same luck with Granny.
One more request for Paul or anyone with intel video:
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/xf86-video-intel-2.9.0-i586-1vl60.txz

This is intel's latest driver wonder if you (or anyone interested) would give it a try see if it works and if so any better any worse..... etc.

Thanks,
Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 07:14:58 am »

Paul,
Wonderful news!

Smiley It certainly is....

try this xorg.conf and see how it works for you.
Code:
uel:$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf                     
Section "ServerFlags"                           
 Option  "AutoAddDevices" "False"               
 Option  "AutoEnableDevices" "False"             
EndSection                                       

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "us"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
Option  "Xkbvariant"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_VARIANT!
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option      "Protocol" "auto"
Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
 Driver        "synaptics"
 Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
 Option        "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
 Option        "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
 Option        "SHMconfig"         "true"
 Option        "HorizScrollDelta"  "0"
 Option        "VertEdgeScroll"  "1"
 Option        "TapButton1"  "1"
EndSection

I wasn't in a position to try that last night (only connection to the net was through a win box, no way of getting files from it), but I ran Vasm and let it set up an xorg.conf, which has fixed the problem with the down arrow.

I'll give this one a try tonight.....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 07:21:32 am »

Paul,
I guess all that finger crossing paid off..........................Smiley

Smiley Well, not entirely....

After the system has been up for a while, I'm getting some strange messages, and it is getting very sluggish.

Messages appear in  a terminal as below:

Code:
Message from syslogd@t-61soho at Fri Nov 27 01:08:31 2009 ...
t-61soho kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

Looking at syslog, I'm seeing this:

Code:
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: Pid: 7628, comm: korgac Not tainted 2.6.31.6 #1
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: Call Trace:
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c106eeb7>] __report_bad_irq+0x27/0x90
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c106dbea>] ? handle_IRQ_event+0x4a/0x180
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c106f061>] note_interrupt+0x141/0x180
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c106f6be>] handle_fasteoi_irq+0x7e/0xe0
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c106f640>] ? handle_fasteoi_irq+0x0/0xe0
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  <IRQ>  [<c1004cf6>] ? do_IRQ+0x46/0xc0
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c1043fff>] ? sys_clock_gettime+0x4f/0xa0
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel:  [<c10033e9>] ? common_interrupt+0x29/0x30
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: handlers:
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: [<c14caa30>] (ahci_interrupt+0x0/0x4f0)
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: [<c1514790>] (yenta_interrupt+0x0/0xe0)
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: [<c151f010>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x70)
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: [<f928fc60>] (i915_driver_irq_handler+0x0/0xc30 [i915])
Nov 27 03:28:49 t-61soho kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

I'll try the 'irqpoll' option, see if that clears the errors.

Lets hope we have the same luck with Granny.

Indeed...

One more request for Paul or anyone with intel video:
http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/xf86-video-intel-2.9.0-i586-1vl60.txz

This is intel's latest driver wonder if you (or anyone interested) would give it a try see if it works and if so any better any worse..... etc.

Thanks,
Vec

I've downloaded it, will try it later and let you know how it goes.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2009, 08:35:23 pm »

I installed it without difficulties a few minutes ago. No problems! You folks nailed it this time.

I haven't done anything with 1.6 except install it and look around briefly. I'll do more with it tomorrow.

One thing: I use a floppy disk for LILO on this machine. There was no option for a floppy drive when I came to the bootloader part of the installation. I'll work on that tomorrow and assume I'll still have a floppy option with VASM. I used the CD to boot into VL6 SOHO but want to get a floppy made up.

Thanks for whatever you did that got the Installer to work on my system.
--GrannyGeek

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:33 am »

great news Paul and Granny !!

We are on are way to beta2.........................

Paul.......still need some feedback on new intel driver............please Huh?

thanks,
Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 06:36:05 am »

great news Paul and Granny !!

We are on are way to beta2.........................

Paul.......still need some feedback on new intel driver............please Huh?

thanks,
Vec

I'm running it now. Can't say I've seen any difference in speed. However, so far, I've seen no sign of the IRQ error messages I reported before. It seems solid, haven't seen any problems with it.

I had the machine running for a couple of hours with the new driver last night, so I hope if the disabled IRQ problem still existed it would have shown up in that time period.

I've got a few hours before I have to go back to work, so I'll see how it goes. I have a few bug reports coming anyway.....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2009, 08:31:07 am »

Now that it works, a few bugs.....

1 Desktop is not stable. I like the taskbar at the top of the screen. Icons keep creeping up, which causes a scroll bar to appear on the right hand side of the screen. In addition, icons will not stay where they have been put. The trash icon keeps moving of its own accord. Very annoying.

2 There is something wrong with the startup sequence for konsole. If ~/.bash_profile does not source ~/.bashrc, aliases and user specific settings are not available in the first started konsole. If ~/.bash_profile is set to source ~/.bashrc, aliases and user specific settings are picked up by the first konsole started, but all login messages get repeated. As below:

Code:
You are working as redmond
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
File manager   : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
You are working as redmond
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
File manager   : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
localuser:root being added to access control list
t-61soho:/~
redmond:$

3 OpenOffice extention manager is broken. Attempting to use it to add the English dictionaries fails with the following error:

Code:
Add extention(s)
The operation on file /usr/lib/ooo-3.1/share/extention/install/dict-en.ost
was started with an invalid parameter.

4 Fonts and menu entries for GTK apps are not adjustable, even using the System Settings for GTK styles. As an example, fonts used in the Seamonkey menu are oversized and will not adjust to a more reasonable size.

5 If the KDE user manager is used to create a new user, it defaults to using a UID of 500. While this can be changed, the user needs to know that it should be changed. The applet does not appear to read existing user records, so it does not increment from any existing users.

6 VasmCC appears twice in the menu - once under settings and once under system.

7 In System > Settings > Advanced > Samba, there is no option to enter the root password, so all options are grayed out unless you are logged in as root.

8 System Settings > Network Settings comes up with a 'your platform is not supported' box, offering lots of options. Would be nice to know what should be selected.

9 System Settings > Date & Time. Locale settings can be set by either user or root, but always request the root password? Seems inconsistent if the setting is local rather than global (which is implied by the fact that it can be set by individual users). Worse, the settings don't stick - if System Settings is closed and reopened, the locale setting will have reverted to the original value.

10 The ~/.bash_profile is created with 'export LANG=en_US'. This is not the locale selected during install, and should be.

I've probably forgotten some things - more later.....

paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:40 am »

Trying to do anything with sbbuilder on this soho beta generates the following error...
Code:
Can't locate Template.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/bin/sbbuilder line 137.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/sbbuilder line 137.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: