VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 01:11:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox Mirrors Websites/Backgrounds  (Read 5254 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

In firefox-3.5.? some website show several mirror pages of the website opened rendering that particular site
useless. It happens only on my VL-6-LIGHT box and not in slackware-13 even
if I use my VL-6 /home. I tried to use the kernel of slackware-13 in VL-6 it does not
change the problem.

I attach a picture of such a page may be someone knows what to do. It even mirrors
others backgrounds as in this case when I opened xv to capture.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:56:30 pm »

I have experienced that problem and now it happens with SeaMonkey, too, since SeaMonkey 2 is using Firefox code. Others have also posted that they are having the rendering problems. Opera doesn't have the problem.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:31:31 am »

I have experienced that problem and now it happens with SeaMonkey, too, since SeaMonkey 2 is using Firefox code. Others have also posted that they are having the rendering problems. Opera doesn't have the problem.
--GrannyGeek

If I recall right the problem started when I changed to the new safer kernel.
Now if it would be a kernel problem why does it persist with the slackware kernel in
VL but not in slackware? Has the kernel changed sometyhing else?

The same problem is with Epiphany having mozilla code as well. And no such problem with Opera.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:07:07 am »

I've seen this issue too albeit some time ago. If memory serves it was related to the graphics driver I was using either the vesa or the open source nvidia drivers, I can't remember which. I think I resolved this by installing the proprietary driver from nvidia.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:43:59 am »

I can't see it being a kernel problem. If so everybody would be experiencing it. The Vesa driver makes sense to me.  I always got terrible video with Vesa and my NV 7300 card. Could use nv, but the best result was the proprietary NVidea cards.  This of course all is mute if it turns out the Pita and Grannygeek are using proprietary drivers already.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:04:09 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:46:40 pm »

I'm using the open source Radeon driver on two computers. On the laptop I use the Intel driver. I don't know if the problem happens on all the systems because it doesn't happen that often and I forget to note what sites cause problems and thus can't see if the other computers also have the problem.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I copied xorg.conf over from slackware which has a vesa
driver and the problem is solved. Firefox behaves correctly again. Guess for that I
could have used xorg.conf-vesa in my box. Needs some adjustments yet so.

It seems it is the opensource nvidia driver causing the problem. With my kernel
I cannot get the proprietary driver to work.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:31:44 pm »

I received an inquiry to better explain how to go about putting xorg-vesa into X11.
Since I do not have a standard VL-6 and my VL-6-Light is somewhat modified could
someone please do such an explanation.

Further in my box 'vxconf' will apparently not give the option to use the vesa driver.
How could this be done so newbies get he correct vesa driver for firefox if they have the
problem of mirror pages in firefox. If there is such an option this would be the answer to the
first paragraph.

EDIT:
It seems my eyes are failing or covered with mud or my vxconf would go straight
to autoprobe. When I checked it now there is a very clear entry to use the xorg.conf-vesa.
So for those having this firefox problem this is the route to go.
Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:34:06 pm by Pita » Logged
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

i installed each of the video drivers ( ati opensource, radeon opensource, vesa opensource, fglrx propietary ) on VL 6 standard and tested  firefox on a site that mirrors; still none of the drivers will render the site correctly using FF 3.5.4. what me do now ?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:08:59 pm by flip city » Logged

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:09 am »

I just remembered that I have in my testing partion Absolute Linux-13.? and the device driver
there in xorg.conf is "nv" and firefox renders all pages correctly. I copied this xorg.conf to slackware-13
and again firefox causes no problem like with the original xorg.conf which uses vesa.

However, if I use that xorg.conf of AbsLin. in my VL-6-LIGHT box firefox misbehaves. Now I know
current VL is based on slackware-12. So it seems the problem is in those
drivers of VL-6. Could that be corrected if one would copy the drivers from slackware over to VL
and which one?
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 04:53:34 am »

Are you guys re-booting after changing drivers? I know for Linux this is normally frowned upon but I have often found the need to re-boot after changing video drivers.

If you are then the fact that this affects both ATI and Nvidia suggests that its not a video driver problem after all
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:51 am »

Are you guys re-booting after changing drivers? I know for Linux this is normally frowned upon but I have often found the need to re-boot after changing video drivers.

If you are then the fact that this affects both ATI and Nvidia suggests that its not a video driver problem after all

I restarted on several, but can't say all. BTW after loading the radeon driver I can no longer boot into VL 6 standard. failed to start X server. How me fix this ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:13:12 am by flip city » Logged

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:48 pm »

I restarted on several, but can't say all. BTW after loading the radeon driver I can no longer boot into VL 6 standard. failed to start X server. How me fix this ?
@flip city Run vxconf again this time selecting the driver that you know has worked.

@sparkeyhall.
I think I'd have to agree.  It's hard to imagine it being a driver issue, if they are all using different drivers and hardware for those drivers.
Can someone give an example of a webpage that is being mirrored?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:59:21 pm »

From this post (http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10627.msg67620#msg67620) it looks like the site below may cause the problem:
http://www.freedom4um.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Can anyone confirm that the above site mirrors?

Also, I wonder if it's a VL-package-specific thing or a firefox-specific thing, or neither.  I wonder how it might differ from the firefox packages found in the repo versus the firefox package obtained directly from mozilla. I try to stick to Opera so I've never had this problem but it makes me want to start testing my various machine (a couple with nvidia cards and one with ati).
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 04:41:57 pm »

@flip city Run vxconf again this time selecting the driver that you know has worked.

What me do if I use grub ??

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: