VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 12:06:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i install VectorLinux?  (Read 1439 times)
bolle

« on: November 07, 2009, 06:06:30 pm »

Looking for a really light and uper fast linux distro.

Im deciding between this, or ArchLinux..

my computer is

dell latitude c640
512 megabyte ram
40 gig hard drive

i know i could use like ubuntu if i wanted to and stuff..
but i want as fast as possible..
is this the right distro for me?

( ps. i know i could use like DSL or puppy, but i like the look of vector linux Tongue

THANKS

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

If you like speed but don't want to use DSL or puppy, yes, I would say use VectorLinux. A disadvantage of ArchLinux is that it isn't quite as user-friendly as VL. It doesn't have a graphical installer or a gui after you finish installing it. (at least, last time I checked)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
bolle

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »

hmm.
okay..
is vectorlinux based off of ubuntu?
and whats like an average boot time for someone with vector linux?

also, can i install openbox on vector?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:35:13 pm »

VectorLinux is based on Slackware. The average boot time depends on how fast your computer is. On a modern computer, it might take less than a minute. (a guess) On my 850mhz computer, it boots in about 1min 16sec. Yes, you can install openbox on vector.

henryxcrudos
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 04:46:09 am »

Check out my blog at http://tropicofvector.wordpress.com. I run VL Light 6.0 on a Latitude C610 and write about it there. I only have 256MB RAM and a 10 GB hd but it's running GREAT!

VL Light 6.0 (Final built, 31/03/09, kernel 2.6.27.12).
Dell Latitude C610 [PIII, 1GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB EIDE/ATA HD, cheapo wifi stick (Belkin)]
Registered Linux User no. 495460
Oh no! -> Tropic of Vector
linux411

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 04:40:12 pm »

The actual question more than others is what desktop should you choose. I've been through all the various desktops and have found XFCE about the fastest while still maintaining a nice bit of "eye candy". Most distributions offer XFCE as a desktop. The trick is that unique distros make certain processes run by default. *buntu's and openSUSE / SUSE are about the most processor intensive by default. The less "un-needed" processes running in the background allow for a quicker response time. The most active desktops are Blackbox, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, FVWM, GNOME, IceWM, JWM, KDE, LXDE, Openbox and Xfce. Of the top 3, which are KDE, Gnome and Xfce. Xfce has less processes within itself. KDE has gotten much more processor intensive as has GNOME.

As far as a specific distro, I have been using Slackware for the past 5 years. The new release (13) has KDE4 and no option (except for Zenwalk or "add-ons") for GNOME. I would LOVE to see VL with a GNOME iso. But I'll quit rambling now .....

My experience. Go with either VectorLinux (w/ Xfce), Zenwalk (w/ Xfce) or a live file system like SLAX w/ KDE 3.5).

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Slackin' since '93.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:40:30 am »

I would LOVE to see VL with a GNOME iso.

You can install Gnome via Gslapt.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »

Just a few thoughts;

I've used some version of Vector or other for over three years now. I think it's one of the best Linux distros out there.

Puppy's good too IMO but personally I don't like the new interface, so I use one of the latest Pups (4.30) with the older Puppy interface (4.0). There's an ISO for this somewhere on the Puppy forum.

There are people on the Puppy forum who like Vector, and vice versa. Puppy and Vector are now amongst the very few Linux distros which still maintain support for dialup access, which I have at home.

I used to use Zenwalk but I can't get on with the new one (*6.0). When I open a terminal on my home machine I crash X Windows and, because you can't boot to a text interface in Zenwalk any more, I effectively can't access a console in Zenwalk at all so I had to bin it. However, one of the computers at my local community centre runs Zencafe 2.0 (based on Zenwalk), along with Puppy 4.30, and both work well.

* I gather there's now a newer version of Zenwalk (6.2), so perhaps the problem's been fixed now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:35:02 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:27:15 pm »

I am  new to learning about linux (less than two months). I wanted a distibution that was light and fast. I have a Pentium 4 2 ghz with 1gb ram and a 250gb harddrive, just got compiz fusion working and have Firefox open 3 times with close to 20 tabs open including youtube, facebook, photobucket etc., have google earth running, video playing, Opera open and a few other things like the file manager and the control center etc. all at the same time with compiz fusion on rotating cubes and floppy windows and Vector linux just won't slow down it's still faster than Windows xp or Ubuntu ever was for me without any of those things going. There is no shortage of help here on the forum and the tutorials http://www.opensourcebistro.com/ I'd say it's definitely worth trying.  Smiley

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:19 am »

"When I open a terminal on my home machine I crash X Windows and, because you can't boot to a text interface in Zenwalk any more, I effectively can't access a console in Zenwalk at all so I had to bin it."

A quick update; I've just installed Vector 6.0 Standard and oddly this happens there as well, whereas it doesn't in my other Vector distro (5.9 SOHO). This is too big a coincidence to put down to a common development bug in both, so I guess it's a problem with the version of Slackware they're both based on.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 09:38:08 am »

Is that all terminals or just the default terminal.  Have you tried urxvt or xterm (or aterm, eterm, etc,etc).

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:02:16 am »

Another thing to try is to not use boot splash. Worth a shot.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 12:15:29 pm »

Another thing to try is to not use boot splash. Worth a shot.

Thanks for this one! I reinstalled Vector 6.0 Standard with no boot splash this time and I can use terminals again now. I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference, but it did. Amazing.

Just to be on the safe side though, I'm (pre)loading a couple of terminals in my .xinitrc file Smiley
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:45:04 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: