VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 09:28:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pango UTF-8 error on opening gslapt  (Read 1879 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: January 01, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »

gslapt doesn't start from the menu and when starting from terminal (root) I get three lines of the following error:

(gslapt:3927): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

gslapt then starts fine and seems to work fine.

Does anyone know if this a problem I need to address?

I use VL 6.0 standard. It doesn't matter whether I start in the original kernel or the updated kernel (2.6.27.29).

Thanks

John 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »

I just started gslapt from a terminal in VL6 Light. I got the same message you did.

If the program works, I routinely overlook messages like this. Since I've been using gslapt successfully for months on this computer, I doubt it's anything to worry about. My gslapt does start from the menu. Maybe there's a wrong path or command in your menu.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:39 am »

The message should be harmless. I would think that the problem is in the desktop file, post the output of:

Code:
cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec

Mine yields:

rbistolfi@vector1 [ ~/yacam ] %cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec
Exec=/sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:58:26 am »

cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec
Exec=/usr/sbin/gslapt

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »

Edit /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop as root and add "/sbin/vsuper " to the Exec line, it should look like mine:

Code:

Gslapt needs to be ran as root, the vsuper command will ask for a password and give gslapt the proper privileges.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:55:51 pm »

Did it.

Thanks Rodrigo,

Now I get

johwhi:$ cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec

And now I can start gslapt from the menu. 

However the menu just starts gslapt.  Doesn't first ask for password. Same with firestarter.  Menu just starts firestarter, without asking for password.  I am not logged in as root.  So I suspect I have screwed up something else, somehow.  Nonetheless gslapt and firestarter seem to work fine.

John

John

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »

However the menu just starts gslapt.  Doesn't first ask for password. Same with firestarter.  Menu just starts firestarter, without asking for password.  I am not logged in as root.  So I suspect I have screwed up something else, somehow.  Nonetheless gslapt and firestarter seem to work fine.

Uh, that's a weird one. Vsuper should ask for a password every time, AFAIK. Try running /sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt from the terminal  as a regular user and post the messages from the terminal if any.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »

johwhi:$ /sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt
/usr/sbin/gslapt

(gslapt:22772): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gslapt:22772): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Vector:/~

gslapt then opens.

John

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:15 am »

Did you select 'remember password' when you started either Firestarter or Gslapt?

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »

Don't recall.  Doubt it.  But don't know how to tell it to forget password, so can't be sure.

John

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: