VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: pango UTF-8 error on opening gslapt  (Read 2055 times)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
pango UTF-8 error on opening gslapt
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »

gslapt doesn't start from the menu and when starting from terminal (root) I get three lines of the following error:

(gslapt:3927): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

gslapt then starts fine and seems to work fine.

Does anyone know if this a problem I need to address?

I use VL 6.0 standard. It doesn't matter whether I start in the original kernel or the updated kernel (2.6.27.29).

Thanks

John 
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: pango UTF-8 error on opening gslapt
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »

I just started gslapt from a terminal in VL6 Light. I got the same message you did.

If the program works, I routinely overlook messages like this. Since I've been using gslapt successfully for months on this computer, I doubt it's anything to worry about. My gslapt does start from the menu. Maybe there's a wrong path or command in your menu.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:39 am »

The message should be harmless. I would think that the problem is in the desktop file, post the output of:

Code: [Select]
cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec
Mine yields:

rbistolfi@vector1 [ ~/yacam ] %cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec
Exec=/sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:58:26 am »

cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec
Exec=/usr/sbin/gslapt

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »

Edit /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop as root and add "/sbin/vsuper " to the Exec line, it should look like mine:

Code: [Select]

Gslapt needs to be ran as root, the vsuper command will ask for a password and give gslapt the proper privileges.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:55:51 pm »

Did it.

Thanks Rodrigo,

Now I get

johwhi:$ cat /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop|grep Exec

And now I can start gslapt from the menu. 

However the menu just starts gslapt.  Doesn't first ask for password. Same with firestarter.  Menu just starts firestarter, without asking for password.  I am not logged in as root.  So I suspect I have screwed up something else, somehow.  Nonetheless gslapt and firestarter seem to work fine.

John

John

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »

However the menu just starts gslapt.  Doesn't first ask for password. Same with firestarter.  Menu just starts firestarter, without asking for password.  I am not logged in as root.  So I suspect I have screwed up something else, somehow.  Nonetheless gslapt and firestarter seem to work fine.

Uh, that's a weird one. Vsuper should ask for a password every time, AFAIK. Try running /sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt from the terminal  as a regular user and post the messages from the terminal if any.

--
Jumalauta!!

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »

johwhi:$ /sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt
/usr/sbin/gslapt

(gslapt:22772): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gslapt:22772): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Vector:/~

gslapt then opens.

John

never_stop_learning

• Vectorite
    • CigarWeekly
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:15 am »

Did you select 'remember password' when you started either Firestarter or Gslapt?
Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »

Don't recall.  Doubt it.  But don't know how to tell it to forget password, so can't be sure.

John