VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 01:57:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem Solved....  (Read 790 times)
mr_unknown

« on: November 15, 2009, 08:42:31 pm »

Ok I thought you can just do the configurations on the external drive by just using su command will work, but it didn't. I just logged off and logged in as root then I was able to move things around the drive. I think that's good enough I guess.

Thanks anyways! It Rocks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:22:16 pm by mr_unknown » Logged
hippyredneck
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:47:25 am »

Smiley Have you tried> Settings> Keyboard Settings/Preferences> Accessibility> Uncheck 'Enable Slow Keys'?

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” ~ Albert Einstein
mr_unknown

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:10 am »

Smiley Have you tried> Settings> Keyboard Settings/Preferences> Accessibility> Uncheck 'Enable Slow Keys'?

Yes, I tried it, it still does it, but it's ok I just got to type a little slower I guess. do you have any idea why my external drive would change to root access after I unplugged/plugged back on? From installation I would have external connected, but then I would get root access during installation, so I decided to reinstall again without the external drive connected yet till i am done installing, then plugged in my external drive, then I would have users access instead where I can actually move things around in it and delete it. After awhile if I decided I need to take it out to another pc and transfer some stuff then plug it back into VL, root access appear where I can't really do anything except view/read only. I've been waiting for answers for this one for a long time no one has given me any answers. Sad
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:12 am »

Sorry about the lack of responses on the forum.  We can be pretty quite bundh when no one has experienced the same troubles and/or found a way to fix them.

As far as the keyboard goes this may seem over simplistic, but have you tried changing the batteries.  Other than that you could try a different keyboard and see if the problem is isolated to the keyboard or the install.

What sort of data do you have on the harddrive.  Is it a backup of another linux that may have had it's own permissions placed on the files?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
mr_unknown

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:24 pm »

Sorry about the lack of responses on the forum.  We can be pretty quite bundh when no one has experienced the same troubles and/or found a way to fix them.

As far as the keyboard goes this may seem over simplistic, but have you tried changing the batteries.  Other than that you could try a different keyboard and see if the problem is isolated to the keyboard or the install.

What sort of data do you have on the harddrive.  Is it a backup of another linux that may have had it's own permissions placed on the files?

yes I understand, it's just wireless keyboard issue, it can be anything at this point, not sure, but right now it seems it's working fine now. Better then it was before.

And on my external hard drive,

It's a NTFS files, I normally just use to store data. Which I use from pc to linux to other type of system. I always use on ubuntu and never had this problem which I use to switch from there to this VL or a visiter would like to share some files. After doing that, I bring it back into VL and plug it in, I can access it, it's only read, I can't do anything else. Besides that, everything works great. right off the installation with a little configrations.

This is from the other thread where I was getting help but I guess he's pretty busy so see if you have a answer to this.

In a terminal, as root user run tail -f /var/log/messages

Then plug your drive in and post the output

Also post your /etc/vector-version to find out which vl release you have installed

Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 1953525168 512-byte hardware sectors (1000205 MB)
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 1953525168 512-byte hardware sectors (1000205 MB)
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel:  sda: sda1
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
Nov 17 11:51:02 Vector kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Nov 17 11:51:04 Vector ntfs-3g[24738]: Version 2009.1.1 integrated FUSE 27
Nov 17 11:51:04 Vector ntfs-3g[24738]: Mounted /dev/sda1 (Read-Only, label "Iomega HDD", NTFS 3.1)
Nov 17 11:51:04 Vector ntfs-3g[24738]: Cmdline options: ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal
Nov 17 11:51:04 Vector ntfs-3g[24738]: Mount options: ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,silent,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/sda1,blkdev,blksize=4096
Nov 17 11:51:04 Vector hald: mounted /dev/sda1 on behalf of uid 1000

so now I see access is on read-only, I don't understand why it changes, cause I didn't make any. So how do I change those permission? I tried doing it by right clicking on the drive and the folders and it didn't allow me to. As in root, I still couldn't make any changes either. I tried : chmod 777 -R /{the mount point}

chmod: changing permissions of `/media/Iomega HDD/Softwares/Syngress.The.Best.Damn.Windows.Server.2008.Book.Period.2nd.Edition.Jun.2008.eBook-DDU': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/media/Iomega HDD/Softwares/Syngress.The.Best.Damn.Windows.Server.2008.Book.Period.2nd.Edition.Jun.2008.eBook-DDU/DDU.nfo': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/media/Iomega HDD/Softwares/Syngress.The.Best.Damn.Windows.Server.2008.Book.Period.2nd.Edition.Jun.2008.eBook-DDU/ebookshare.net.url': Read-only file system

And it's a external NTFS drives.

No luck either, damn so complicated.

Version:

Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Final Built on Feb-16-09

Is VL6 Gold and Standard the same?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:43:49 pm by mr_unknown » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: