VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 11:19:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: kspread slow  (Read 689 times)
gumby

« on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »

after trying several distros on a AMD duron 751 MHz with 113 RAM (which I am donating to a club, so not interested in spending more money) VL SOHO 5.9 managed to install [whew - at last!).  I was hoping to use openoffice but Kspread seems OK.
The trouble is, after opening Kspread (and maybe Kword - haven't tried), spreadsheets take several minutes to load, and seem a little sluggish.  I used (I hope) 1G for swap drive which is probably excessive: should I change that (how?)
I am wondering whether to try to reinstall windows and setting up dual boot. (10G hard drive) but don't really know how to do that - I tried typing in fdisk and cfdisk but that doesn't work - guess I need to know the parameters. is it fdisk /mbr?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:34 am »

with 113 RAM
Forget about KDE. You should use a lightweight window manager. Look at VL Light, Puppy, DSL or Tinycore.

As far as dual boot, the easiest thing is to install Windows first, then Linux. Most Linux distros will set it up automatically. 10G is not much space for this though, unless you're talking about Win9x.
gumby

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »

thanks, but I need cups and a spreadsheet (and that's all I really want).  I tried VL light and don't know how to add these things.
also I found vllight kept hanging, which is why I switched to SOHO.
perhaps I did something wrong when installing the light version last time.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:54:20 pm »

Since you have 5.9 SOHO installed and working, you can modify it to use a lighter environment. The boot manager will allow you to choose which one to run. Use gslapt and search for JWM or IceWM and install one or both.

For spreadsheet, try gnumeric. You can also run kspread from these window managers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: