VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:11:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of these three printers would you choose?  (Read 2730 times)
Neo

« on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »

Hi All,
My Xerox P1202 has seen better days and is on it's last legs.

I need to replace it ASAP and have narrowed it down to these three multi-function printers:

1. Samsung SCX-4521FG
   2. Brother MFC-7440N
   3. Brother DCP-7040

Does anyone have any experience with any of these printers?
They all claim to be Linux compliant but has anyone actually got them working, and working well, with Linux?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57:24 am »

The database at www.linuxprinting.org lists a lot of different printers that people have tested with linux and the results of the testing. It also tells you which driver the printer needs (if it works and therefore needs one). I looked up your printers right quick and found the the Samsung works "mostly", the Brother MFC works "perfectly", and the Brother DCP works "partially".

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:16:12 am »

I'm also in the market for a multi-purpose printer that is linux friendly, however I think my needs are a bit different than yours.
-I don't necessarily need laser functionality, but would be fine with monotone black only.
-I would prefer the printer not be overly large as I would like to hide it somewhere I don't have to stare at it.
-And would very much like wireless connectivity to be freed from the constraints locational placement.
-Toner/ink replacement needs to be reasonable cost.
-Linux friendly, of course.

I don't really have an opinion on your three choices because I've never used Samsung or Brother products, but thought I'd mention my needs in case they factor into your decision.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

I'm also in the market for a multi-purpose printer that is linux friendly, however I think my needs are a bit different than yours.
-I don't necessarily need laser functionality, but would be fine with monotone black only.
-I would prefer the printer not be overly large as I would like to hide it somewhere I don't have to stare at it.
-And would very much like wireless connectivity to be freed from the constraints locational placement.
-Toner/ink replacement needs to be reasonable cost.
-Linux friendly, of course.

I don't really have an opinion on your three choices because I've never used Samsung or Brother products, but thought I'd mention my needs in case they factor into your decision.

I got a HP P1006 for the factory I work for. It works well using the driver recommended at linuxprinting.org
The only complain I got is that it is a bit slow starting to print the first copy of a document.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »

Rodrigo,

I haven't bought a new printer in years.  We buy used HPlaserjets and all seem to install easily on linux.  They are not color.  We did have a color xerox which worked well on linux (came free with our copier) but we eventually donated it to a nearby high-school as we found it too expensive to run (kept running out of black when the other colors were barely used).  So now if we need something in color we run to kinkos.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: