VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:18:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: problem loading skype in VL6.0 (SOLVED)  (Read 5519 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:45 pm »

I am doing a new install of VL 6.0. I updated it and then tried to load skype.  I didn't see it in the VL 6 repositories, so I tried using one of stretchedthin's excellent videos which was done in 5.9:

I got the following errors:

Extracting files...
tar: skype_static-2.0.0.72.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
sh: line 23: cd: skype_static-2.0.0.72: No such file or directory
Copying files...
cp: cannot stat `skype': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `skype.conf': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `avatars/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `lang/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `sounds/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `LICENSE': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `LICENSE.RtAudio': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `README': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `icons/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `icons/SkypeBlue_48x48.png': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `skype.desktop': No such file or directory
sed: can't read /var/log/setup/tmp/files.skype-2.0.0.72-noarch-1: No such file or directory
BUG in dotnew_add: filelist does not exist. Press enter.

So I went to the skype site and downloaded the fedora9 version, did rpm2tgz and installed (installpkg).  This gave me the little skype icon in the network menu, but skype still won't load.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:32:01 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:39 pm »

I have other skype video's. You might want to try the one for the new skype beta.
Link to networking page...scroll down to skype section.

I've always found I got the best results from the static versions of the official site.
I am puzzled that you had a problem with the .tlz.  Did you try to install it with the installpkg command.?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:43:13 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »

Stretchedthin, thanks very much for the prompt response.  I use skype a lot.

I too was puzzled.  Hope I don't have a bad install as I am well along configuring it.  Some time ago, you had suggested I install on my VL6.0 from

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/net/skype-2.0.0.72-noarch-1.tlz

I tried that first this time, using installpkg.  It got roughly the same errors as showed up when I followed the video. 

I don't recall for sure, but it seemed that the skype download from your suggested site took a lot longer this time, showing me the progress of the download by percentage.  The only thing different (I think) this time is that before trying to install skype, I copied over the old Skype file (along with lots of others) and they are all sitting in a backup directory on my new machine.  Perhaps skype is confused by it.

John

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:32 pm »

In my working PC box VL-6-LIGHT I have installed skype_static-2.1.0.47.tar.bz2
and it is working perfectly. I tried to install it in the HP Mini 2133 where VL-6 STD-Gold
is installed and this skype version did not work, whereas skype_static-2.0.72.tar.bz2
works well in that machine.
My installation is simple. Open skype*.bz2 with mc, copy the skype directory
eiter to ~/ or /usr/local, whichever one prefers make in the respective /bin directory
a symlink to skype in the skype directory, et voila, there you are.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:53 am »

Stretchedthin, thanks very much for the prompt response.  I use skype a lot.

I too was puzzled.  Hope I don't have a bad install as I am well along configuring it.  Some time ago, you had suggested I install on my VL6.0 from

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/net/skype-2.0.0.72-noarch-1.tlz

I tried that first this time, using installpkg.  It got roughly the same errors as showed up when I followed the video. 

I don't recall for sure, but it seemed that the skype download from your suggested site took a lot longer this time, showing me the progress of the download by percentage.  The only thing different (I think) this time is that before trying to install skype, I copied over the old Skype file (along with lots of others) and they are all sitting in a backup directory on my new machine.  Perhaps skype is confused by it.

John

Working on my HP Mini: Downloaded http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/net/skype-2.0.0.72-noarch-1.tlz and installed it - could not get it to run at all.

What is the difference between the static and dynamic versions on the Skype site? DHCP vs Static IP?

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:40:21 am »

More likely static means that required libraries are compiled in to the executable (which will make the executable bigger, but reduce problems with dependencies).

Nice to avoid static if possible, but if something has unusual deps or things that you don't otherwise need, it can make life a lot simpler.

paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:17:44 am »

I use "skype_static-2.0.0.72-oss" on VL6. It works great for me, so I happily accept the larger installation size.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:38:03 pm »

If I remember right, the skype .tlz file does not contain any code it wgets the code  from the Official Skype site.  If they have moved that code then the .tlz will no longer install.

If you go to the skype site the only thing that shows up is skype 2.1.0.47 (the new beta)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:40:27 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 02:48:00 pm »

Just downloaded 'skype_static-2.1.0.47' from http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/and followed stretchedthin's wonderful 'how to' at http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/11.Network-apps/skype/skype-static.htm.....

Skype installed perfectly.....configured a launcher for the desktop.....looking good.....!

Now to get my mic configured so I can be heard.  Cool

furydragon

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 02:48:48 pm »

I went to the skype site and downloaded the fedora9 version, did rpm2tgz and installed (installpkg).  This gave me the little skype icon in the network menu, but skype still won't load
Solution:
Download and install static version from official site: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static.
After it add link for skype in your menu or you can run this from terminal typed "skype".
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:31:22 am »

Thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving. Stretchedthin's video worked perfectly.  And I am most happy that all my names and phone numbers are saved too.  Don't know whether to attribute that to gsrync or to Skype, but, whatever/whoever, its great news.

The reason for my recent install situation is that the screen went dark on my T42.  Started slowly a week or so ago.  I would close the lid and it would brighten up again, but eventually became unusable except with an external monitor.  As Harry's Business Machines needed a couple of days to get the part, and as I couldn't be without for that long (we lawyers now serve and get served with pleadings online), I fired up my spare T42 and copied important files over.  Then I realized that I should install my gsrync backup copies instead (to get the hidden files) and that worked amazingly well. 

Again, happy Thanksgiving to all who helped me with Skype and to all the folks at Vector.  I did without Skype for 60 some years but now have trouble getting along without it for a few days.

John

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:45:51 pm »

Smiley I'm glad you find grsync useful. I built it because I use rsynce a lot and I'm too lazy to remember all the commands, so the GUI interface is ideal.

Unfortunately, the most recent versions will not build under VL 6.0 - some of the libraries that 6.0 is running are now too old. Maybe under the new SOHO version.....

paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »

Thank you!

When we used puppy, there was a program (I think it is now called Pudd) that would do sort of what grsync does (sorry about the misspelling).  When we switched to Vector, I went through a lot trying to get a reliable backup. Used simplelinuxbackup for a while and had it set to back up about 3 am every Monday morning, but eventually gave up as too often something I had changed caused it to not work and I would not know it was not working and therefore decided it too risky.  I now am in the habit of manually starting grsync every Sunday night when I retire.  I back up my complete home directory to an external hard drive.  It is done in the morning when I get up.  I understand I can automate that function with cron, but don't see the need. 

This is the first time I had to put gsrync to the test and it passed with flying colors.  From my standpoint it works fine as is, without the new libraries.

John
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:40:12 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:11:15 am »

Good job, John.....

Still have not been able to get the mic on my HP Mini (my current travel companion) to work but got the HP nc4000 (my former travel companion for two years) running Skype..... Cool

I used Skype extensively for Cigar Weekly Editorial virtual meetings and look forward to using it again.....

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:24 pm »

Never_stop_learning, Aren't there two microphone settings?  On mine, at least, there is the microphone on the computer itself, and then there is the mic on the headset.  I have found that if I get it working with the computer only, the headset then works flawlessly.  I suspect your flamborurgulator settings are a bit off.  To correct them, I suggest you restrict yourself to no more than 20 cups of coffee each morning, and no more than 15 cigars before you break for lunch. Then open your flamborugator file and poor one cup of coffee on the keyboard.  That should do the trick.

John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:09:37 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: