VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 03:32:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vl lite 6 hangs at boot time  (Read 990 times)
inkheart

« on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:40 am »

I'm really new with linux and chose vl lite to give new life to an 10-year old Compaq Armada, 128mb ram, 20gb hdd. I did this before reading that vl lite is better suited for those with more linux experience. Anyway, i was able to install it following the step-by-step graphical guide in the wiki. But when i rebooted after the it said that installation was successful and rebooting was necessary, booting would stop after "initializing hardware": caching fonts - failed. The last line says "rc.X ==> Going to multiuser GUI mode...". The next is just the prompt. What can I do to resolve this?

VectorLinux Lite 6 installed / Puppy 4.3.1 on cd / Hardware: Compaq Armada M700 laptop, 128mb ram, 20gb hdd
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:50:16 am »

Type 'root' to log ins as root user, then give it your root password.

Execute vxconf
Select 'vesa' when prompted
Then type xinit

if you get gui, reboot and log in as a normal user

Fery

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:34:51 am »

@inkheart
I had the very same symptoms earlier when installing VL.

Somehow I opened PartitionMagic in WinXP and discovered that the Linux root directory of the my VL installation was full (3812MB used out of the available 3812MB).
My guess was that not enough disk space with all the installation options I chose.
So I made more space for Linux root in PartitionMagic (mine is around 11GB now) & reinstall it.
It solves that problem.

Hope it helps.
inkheart

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:14:42 pm »

Type 'root' to log ins as root user, then give it your root password.

Execute vxconf
Select 'vesa' when prompted
Then type xinit

if you get gui, reboot and log in as a normal user
I tried this but when I reached the rebooting part, it hang at the same part again.

VectorLinux Lite 6 installed / Puppy 4.3.1 on cd / Hardware: Compaq Armada M700 laptop, 128mb ram, 20gb hdd
inkheart

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

@inkheart

Somehow I opened PartitionMagic in WinXP and discovered that the Linux root directory of the my VL installation was full (3812MB used out of the available 3812MB).
My guess was that not enough disk space with all the installation options I chose.
So I made more space for Linux root in PartitionMagic (mine is around 11GB now) & reinstall it.
It solves that problem.

Hope it helps.

Ok, I'm trying this now. I rebooted with the VL cd installer, redid the partitioning (increased the root from 5gb to 7gb), and going through the installation process again.

inkheart

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:55:05 pm »

@inkheart

It solves that problem.

Hope it helps.

Ok, I'm trying this now. I rebooted with the VL cd installer, redid the partitioning (increased the root from 5gb to 7gb), and going through the installation process again.

Now, VL loads, but it's really slow so I guess my hardware's just really not for it. I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 for my daily work. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:58:15 pm by inkheart » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: