VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 10:08:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to install Konsole  (Read 2356 times)
omergrigg

« on: November 25, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »

Hello everybody,
I have VL lite - more precisely - I have VL lite VDI (from http://virtualboximages.com/VectorLinux-6.0-lite) installed in VirtualBox.
I'd like to install konsole on my linux.  I've heard that it has something to do with KDE, which I have no idea what it is...
Right now my VL has xterm as the command-line terminal, but I don't like it...

Please help.
Thanks!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:41:29 pm »

You would need to install "kdelibs" and "kdebase". This can be done using gslapt.

However, If you want KDE, you may be better of with the "KDE-Classic" version.
omergrigg

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »

I have no idea what KDE is - so I don't know if I need it or what.
I just want konsole to work on my VL.

Please tell me what I need to do.  I don't know what gsplat is, and how to install those kdelibs and kdebase...
Please assume that I'm totally ignorant and I need step-by-step instructions...  Huh

Thanks!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:10:49 pm »

Konsole is the terminal emulator (command line window) of KDE.
KDE is a large collection of software which provides an environment similar to MS Windows.
It makes a transition from Windows to Linux easier.

VL-Light is not the best choice for someone unfamiliar with Linux.
Are you just testing different distributions at this point?
omergrigg

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 06:31:46 am »

I chose VL because this is what people recommended.  I'm just looking for the best Linux version for my needs:
I have a Lenovo T400s laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 CPU), and I want to run Linux from Win7, using virtualization (I have virtualbox, but I can get vmware workstation if I need it).
1. I'd like Linux to recognize my 64-bit CPU and 4GB RAM - but it doesn't 100% have to be a 64-bit Linux version.
2. I'd like to work with easy to use (renaming, copying, moving etc.) folders/files - basically similar to windows...
3. I do most of my work with Unix commands (through a shell, if that's the term used), so I need something that has that and is easy to use - I'm used to konsole, but if there are better shells out there I'll be happy to use them.
4. I'd like Linux to be lean and fast = less CPU/RAM needs.  Although ease-of-use is more important.  I don't need lots of apps inside it, don't need office apps, etc.  I'd like to be able to uninstall features/apps I don't need.  Basically, it's for data analysis and graphic display of results. The rest I'll do with windows.
5. I need it to be stable, relatively safe, and as much similar to windows as possible (total newbie that I am).

VL-KDE VDI (http://virtualboximages.com/VectorLinux) isn't free, so I just downloaded the VL-lite VDI....
If you think I should get VL-KDE, do you know where I can get the VDI for it?  Alternatively, is it possible to install KDE in VL-lite??

Thanks for you help!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:50:12 am by omergrigg » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »

Since you already have Light installed and running, have some fun playing with it. You can install a large number of KDE applications from the repository.

Click Menu > System > Gslapt. Supply your root password. Click Edit > Preferences > Sources. Check the box for the "testing" repository (5th line down). Allow it to update. Search for "kde" using the search field. Select "kdebase" and "kdelibs" for installation and click the "Execute" button.

To run Konsole, click Menu > Run > (type konsole) > Press Enter.

To add the new applications to your menu, click Menu > System > Update Menu. Check the "Deep search" box and let it update.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:54:14 pm by nightflier » Logged
omergrigg

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:41:04 pm »

Excellent!
Everything worked, and now I have a nicer-looking environment as well...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: