VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 08:05:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sup  (Read 1371 times)
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

sup
« on: November 25, 2009, 03:30:42 am »

W2IBC here QTH Indiana  Cool

I have used quite a few distos debian,ubuntu,kubuntu,freespire,mandriva,fedora

actually read about vector linux on another forum. which made me curious so i downloaded/burned the kde 3.5 iso. and installed it on the laptop.

im quite impessed. only thing i notice is (the laptop is 2.4ghz pent with 512 ram) is it seems to eat alot of ram (using about 450MB of the 512. plus it seems i didnt get any swap space allocated ether. (must have missed something on the install) but it has made me really tempted to install on my main box (the tower) but a couple things i want to know 1st.

right now my disk it partitioned

32GB partition that i use for backup
106gb partition i use for installing my os.
and iirc 2GB swap

now will i get a option to install on my 106gb partition (iirc i dont think i had a option to create partitions on the lappy install)

also my only way to get the internet is via wifi (i have no direct connection to the net) and my card is a netgear wg311V3 which has NO linux native drivers (sadly V1 and V2 has natives for *nix but not V3) so im forced to use ndiswrapper so is that package on the cd? if not where can i get all the packages that ill need to install so i could burn them onto disk (i remember under debian it was sorta package hell as i needed 1 package which needed another which needed another, i have no dvd rom on the tower and wasnt about to go buy a stack of cds to burn 30+ debian cds lol) so i would need to know ahead of time all the packages i would need to install ndiswrapper

3rd. gPHPedit. yea im using KDE but i love gphpedit and i checked on the lappy and it didnt seem to be in the package repos? i do php work and gphpedit happens to be my fav. editor. so am i forced to do the "compile from source " or is there a package for vector around somewhere?

but all in all. i think i will be keeping vector on my lappy for sure. it reconized everything on it and dose work pretty dang good. (with the minor issue of it seeming to eat about all the available ram)

Linux Registered User #481509.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:47:07 am »

Hi from Ohio,

The text installer in VL6.0 KDE-Classic is a little old-fashioned. There is an option to partition your disk on the menu, but after doing so you need to reboot and start over.

2G of swap is more than you need. 520MB should be enough.

Ndiswrapper is included.

gphpedit is not in the repo. You could post a request for it in the "New package requests" section, or build from source. Being a Gnome app, it may require additional packages.

What app do you use to measure memory usage? You usually get different results from top and htop, one including buffers and the other one not.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:04:32 pm »

i just happened to check the sys monitor on the lappy and it was using 450/512 which i am going thu right now reinstalling in a min on the lappy.

ndiswrapper included on disk = sweet

swap - ive allways just stuck with 2gb

gphpedit. ill have to check into source then which is cool.

my be installing on the tower come tonight

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:29:22 pm »

installed gphpedit from source a bit ago

WORKED!

no issues what so ever

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

Nicely done.  Smiley

As far as the memory usage goes, I see that the KDE system guard is showing twice the amount of usage that htop does. I really don't know how it is computed, but understand that the difference is caused by "buffers" and "cache".
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »

Nicely done.  Smiley

As far as the memory usage goes, I see that the KDE system guard is showing twice the amount of usage that htop does. I really don't know how it is computed, but understand that the difference is caused by "buffers" and "cache".

yea i got to explore more with it today. sys guard was showing 450 used. but everything else i checked was showing 200 used so im assuming sys guard counts everything loaded in cache.

EDIT TO ADD_

Installed vector on my tower, installed real quick, having ndiswrapper pre-installed helps me out alot.. got my nice screen res back 1280 x 1024 is so much nicer.

only issue is sound. which i kinda figured would happen. hopefully i can figure that out quick. if not ill be posting again
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:54:23 pm by w2ibc » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: