VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 10:54:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem accessing a Linux Mint 5 KDE LTS box & Windows XP box on my network  (Read 1235 times)
spectral_knight75

« on: November 29, 2009, 05:47:25 pm »

Hi there,

Prior to my clean install of Vector 6.0 Standard edition, I was happily running Vector SOHO 5.9.1 Final on my IBM Thinkpad R51 1829 KCF.  I was able to access my windows xp box and my Linux Mint 5 KDE LTS box on my network without any problems from the file managers I use ( Konqueror/Dolphin/Krusader).

The only reason I went to 6.0 Standard from my SOHO 5.9.1 (which was 98% fine), was because of Firefox and Seamonkey browser kept complaining about adobe flash and on some websites the pictures and images and flash sections would all break apart or not show at all..that was with Firefox v3.5x.

Now that I have installed Vector 6.0 Standard on my Thinkpad R51, everything works..except file sharing/accessing my other machines on my network.  Samba seems set up correctly here is my smb.conf from  vector 6.0 std :

>start of quote :
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2009/11/29 19:54:31

[global]
   [global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   netbios name = VECTORSTD
   server string = Samba Server
   log file = /var/log/samba.%m
   max log size = 50
   dns proxy = No
   usershare allow guests = Yes
   usershare max shares = 100
   usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   read only = No
   browseable = No

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = Yes
   browseable = No

> end of quote

I have samba set up properly on my Linux Mint 5 KDE LTS box..since it was working fine from my SOHO 5.9.1 install.  I'd copy and paste here..but it is very long (has all the original comments and such in it still)

From Thunar or Konqueror or Gnome Commander I can not get access to the rest of my home network and my shared printer connected to my Linux Mint 5 KDE LTS box

Could the problem lie within WICD?  Since in SOHO 5.9.1 was using KWifimanager, does this make any impact?

Any assistance appreciated.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:09 am »

Wicd being a problem I doubt it.

Did you add the users under smbpasswd to the system?

Did you try in Konqueror of the VL machine:

smb://ip of the computer you want

Have you tried looking at the network samba shares iirc it's

smbclient -L

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: