VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: router port blocking  (Read 2451 times)

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
router port blocking
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

Say Say,

I am wondering about which ports should be considered for port blocking on my router ?? Please chime in with your suggestions. ::) 

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: router port blocking
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:08 am »

I block all of them but my ssh port.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:32 am »

oh and I forward port 80 for testing web stuff, but I have not done much of that lately.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »

WOW...block all 65535 ports except  22 and forward port 80. talk about a lockdown ! Can your computer even breathe ?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »

If I need to access some hidden port, I usually tunnel it over ssh1. So actually, by having a ssh port opened, you gain access to all the ports you may want in a secure way.
I change ssh port from 22 to something else, you still can find the port number with nmap, but you avoid a bunch of script kiddies who always try to exploit the default port.

1. http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/winhelp/32/Tunneling_Explained.html

--
Jumalauta!!

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 05:43:37 pm »

Sharp. sharp. ouch, that,s sharp ! Very good and thanks for sharing your security precautions. After reading up on the posted link, I shall implement and sleep like my cats !

meme88

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:38:00 am »