VectorLinux
April 25, 2014, 12:17:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: router port blocking  (Read 1634 times)
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« on: November 25, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

Say Say,

I am wondering about which ports should be considered for port blocking on my router ?? Please chime in with your suggestions. Roll Eyes 

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:08 am »

I block all of them but my ssh port.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:32 am »

oh and I forward port 80 for testing web stuff, but I have not done much of that lately.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »

WOW...block all 65535 ports except  22 and forward port 80. talk about a lockdown ! Can your computer even breathe ?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »

If I need to access some hidden port, I usually tunnel it over ssh1. So actually, by having a ssh port opened, you gain access to all the ports you may want in a secure way.
I change ssh port from 22 to something else, you still can find the port number with nmap, but you avoid a bunch of script kiddies who always try to exploit the default port.

1. http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/winhelp/32/Tunneling_Explained.html

--
Jumalauta!!
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 05:43:37 pm »

Sharp. sharp. ouch, that,s sharp ! Very good and thanks for sharing your security precautions. After reading up on the posted link, I shall implement and sleep like my cats !

meme88

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:00 am »

I block all of them but my ssh port.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: