VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:09:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with VL 6.0 installer  (Read 992 times)
speaker

« on: November 28, 2009, 02:00:04 am »

Hi,

I have tried to install VL 6.0 standard (Gold). I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the new graphical installation system. I had quite a few problems with it.

First, Gparted is really slow. It spent nearly a minute scanning my two HHDs (one PATA and one SATA) and one DVD-ROM. Finally it came up with the info and I created the partitions. When I exited Gparted, the installer said that the machine was going to reboot, but after clicking OK nothing happended for at least a minute, and finally I had to use the hard reset button to restart (Ctrl+Alt+Del did not work). When I restarted the machine and the installer came up, it showed the file system of the root partition as 'resiser' even though I set it to 'ext3' when the partition was created. I restarted the machine (hard reset again), and tried to bring up Win XP to access the NET, but WinXP crashed. It worked fine half an hour before that, so the reason was something the VL installer did. I had to switch off the machine and switch on again to get a working XP.

In conclusion, I think that this new installer is kind of half-baked and it was probably an error to release it w/o further testing. I will stick to version 5.9 for now, at least it works w/o problems.

If you want to have details about my hardware (to aid debugging), please, let me know and I will post it here.

Speaker
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:29:52 pm »

The new installer takes a while to get used to and, in my experience, doesn't seem to work quite right on a few machines. If you are more comfortable with the old installer, type "linux" when the installer is about to start.  I can't recall exactly when that is, but do that when the program stops early on (before partitioning etc). 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:21:29 pm »

VL6 Gold is almost a year old now and the graphical installer was a work in progress when it came out. The Installer is greatly improved in the upcoming VL 6 SOHO. Some people did have problems with the GUI Installer in VL6 Standard, so follow Sledgehammer's advice and type
linux
at the prompt at the very first screen (I think it says "boot" but I've never paid that much attention). The text installer is very reliable.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: