VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:25:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to navigate GSlapt and downloads mo' betta  (Read 1836 times)
pottzie

« on: November 28, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »

I posted a week or so back about downloads, and got some good advice that I promptly ignored. Vector wound up working so well I didn't need to open the downloads, and I let them sit in a file while I enjoyed that fact that everything was working, and didn't bother with it. Well, we all know that's not going to last too long, right?
 So my daughter gets a school assignment, for band, telling (actually ordering, nazi style) that she hook up with a program called SmartMusic. It downloads music, the kids record it (with webcam and microphone) as an email that they can forward to the teacher. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles, and it don't do no damn linux, by gawd! No way Jose!
 So I'm attempting to open up and run VirtualBox (so I can install Satan and run it in Vector). I also have a tar.gz file that looks like it'd be nifty to go with the webcam that suddenly works after I accidently hit a button in GSlapt that updated my system.
 Per the instructions in http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10889.0 I was able to log in as root, did the "su" bit, OK, now it's time to open 'er up and let things rip. I'm logged in as root, in /home/vl/Downloads, so I just type the name of the file I want and it says command not found. Probably because I didn't actually give a command, just assumed that the computer would read my mind and know what I wanted. So I tried "cnfg" (seemed like as good a guess as any), still no dice. So how do I tell the nice computer that I want to install the program? And is there something that lets me or the computer that I'm about to unwrap pandora's box and open a new chapter of dependency hell in the process? Ubuntu teaches us well.
 The other program is a tar.gz, so I thought "Well, at least I've seen those." But tar xvfz got me nowhere. As long as I'm asking stupid questions, I might as well go for 100.
 Anybody want to attempt to answer this? I don't know if I would myself, if I knew how, but for those with the patience of job, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. 
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:28:06 pm »

If its a public school, why not suggest to the teacher that she/he should not give out assignments which require students to purchase proprietary software?  Perhaps you could suggest that her/his conduct may be violating some law. For example, your state may have a law that requires your daughter's school district to provide each student with a free education. Perhaps her assignment violates that or some other law?

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:53:54 pm »

If its a public school, why not suggest to the teacher that she/he should not give out assignments which require students to purchase proprietary software?  Perhaps you could suggest that her/his conduct may be violating some law. For example, your state may have a law that requires your daughter's school district to provide each student with a free education. Perhaps her assignment violates that or some other law?

I looked up SmartMusic's Web site and it doesn't appear that it costs anything to download the program. You have to pay if you want to access the music titles, but we don't know if the students would have to pay. Maybe the school has a license. It's certainly not unusual for students to have to buy one thing or another. Sometimes there is provision for those who truly cannot afford it.

SmartMusic runs on Windows and Mac and in the minds of the vast majority of people, that means it runs on everything. Desktop Linux is still the slightest blip on the OS radar screen. Stomping our feet is not going to open minds and hearts to our favorite operating system.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »

Pottzie,
I can't figure out what you're doing. If you used Gslapt, there is no tar.gz file you have to do something additional to in order to install it. Gslapt installs packages automatically. So where did you get that tar.gz file and what's it supposed to do?

>> So how do I tell the nice computer that I want to install the program? And is there something that lets me or the computer that I'm about to unwrap pandora's box and open a new chapter of dependency hell in the process? >>

What program are you talking about? If you are using Gslapt or the command-line slapt-get, you don't have to install the package. It is installed automatically, dependencies and all if it's a VectorLinux package. If it's a Slackware package (tgz or tlz) you downloaded from someplace, you do as root at a prompt:
installpkg nameofpackage

>> The other program is a tar.gz, >>

It may not be a program, it may be source code that has to be compiled. Or it may include a binary installation file or a script that installs the program. We need more information before we can tell you how to proceed.

You see, I'm thoroughly confused because you're talking about Gslapt, but then you're talking about how to install the package. If you used Gslapt, the package is already installed unless you selected the "just download the packages" option, which I doubt you did.

Tell us the name of the packages or programs you're trying to install, where you got them, and we'll take it from there.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pottzie

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:12:17 pm »

Hope this helps; I used XTerm to access root, hence the "command not found." Haven't been able to get GSlapt to see the files (located in /home/vl/Download).  VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run came from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
 It's the one marked "all distributions",i386
 On a happy note, since I had to hand copy the file names to post this (since the window minimizes as I click on the window, and there goes the info I'm trying to copy) I noticed that what appeared to be the capitol letter "O" in the tar.gz file may in fact be the number "0", so I retried it and it went to town and loaded itself all nice and pretty..I hope. So I'm just down to the VirtualBox file.   
 Hope this helps. And I'm going to post another thread regarding something that happened as I was trying to find VirtualBox installation info.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:41:44 pm »

Maybe this can help you install Virtual box
Installing Virtualbox on Vectorlinux

Here's a whole page of tutorials on installing apps in Vector.
Install anything on Vectorlinux

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:05:03 pm »

Thanks. I'm still not sure about everything, but I think I have a better idea.

>> I used XTerm to access root, hence the "command not found."  >>

This I don't understand. If you want to access root, I assume you mean you want to su to root. You open Xterm and at the prompt, type
su
Then you have to type your ROOT password at the password prompt. Hit Enter and you should now have a root prompt at which you can type commands that require root access. When you're finished doing root things, type
exit
at the prompt and you'll be back at your user account, still in Xterm.

Apparently you were trying to use Gslapt to install the VirtualBox .run file. Am I right? Well, Gslapt installs only VectorLinux/Slackware packages. It doesn't install RPMs, DEBs, bin files, or run files. So forget about Gslapt for this file.

This is how you use Gslapt:
* Click on Gslapt in the Vector menu (like the Start menu) under System. You will have to give your user password.
*  Click on Update in Gslapt in order to update the package lists.
*  Type the name of the program you're looking for, or find it in the Name column of the package lists. Click on the Status box and select Install.
*  When you've selected all the programs you want to install, click on the Execute button.
*  On the Summary screen, expand the lists so you can see what is about to be done and make sure it's what you intend. Then click on OK.

Your programs will be downloaded and installed. A screen will come up when all programs are installed. You can leave Gslapt and you'll be user again. Your programs should be listed in the Vector menu.

With VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run, you don't run Gslapt or slapt-get to install it because it's not a Slackware package. I haven't done this, but generally with a file like that you'd su to root, open Midnight Commander by typing
mc
at the root prompt, highlight the VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run file in the Midnight Commander file list, and make the file executable. You do this by clicking on File in Midnight Commander, then chmod. Then click on Execute/Search by Owner and Set. The file should now be executable. The file should now have an asterisk by it in Midnight Commander.

Now you actually have to execute (run) the file. To do this, while still root in the file's directory in Midnight Commander, hit Control-o (that's an Oh, not a zero). You'll be at a prompt in that directory. Do a
ls
command to confirm that VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run is there. Then at the prompt type
./VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run
and hit enter. You don't need to type the whole program name. Just do
./Vir
and hit the Tab key and the file name should complete. This command should start the installation script that is in the VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run file you downloaded.

Note that I haven't done this. I'm just going by what works for other files of this type.

I highly recommend that you go to
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/07.System/VirturalBox-Install/VirtualBox-Install.htm
and follow the directions in the tutorial. They are slightly different from mine but should get you to the same place. Plus the tutorial tells you how to proceed once VirtualBox is installed.

I still don't know what tar.gz file you're talking about or where you got it. Ordinarily just typing the file name followed by tar.gz isn't enough to install a file. It just uncompresses it and opens the archive. You have to do something more to get the file installed.

If something is unclear, please let me know. And also tell us if you're successful with VirtualBox. Good luck!
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:14 pm »

I looked more closely at the SmartMusic Web site and it seems you do have to pay $30 a year for a subscription to the music library. Schools can apparently buy subscriptions for students to use at home.
--GrannyGeek

pottzie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:02:22 pm »

All's well that ends wel! It worked, the tutorial was great, many thanks. And yes, I was in XTerm as root, having done the "su", password ,etc. before. First time for everything.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:36:10 am »

GrannyGeek,

That, plus the parent(s) has to shell out for Windows, and a machine new enough to run it.  I suspect this is no problem for pottzie or for others on this forum, but what about families whose kids are on the free school lunch program? Or whose parents can't afford internet?  Most of the children never_stop_learning's Computers for Kids program deals with fall into that category.

john

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:21:02 am »

Just a general observation on using MC to execute something (I'm always looking for the simplest and quickest ways to do things).

Now you actually have to execute (run) the file. To do this, while still root in the file's directory in Midnight Commander, hit Control-o (that's an Oh, not a zero). You'll be at a prompt in that directory. Do a
ls
command to confirm that VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run is there. Then at the prompt type
./VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run
and hit enter. You don't need to type the whole program name. Just do
./Vir
and hit the Tab key and the file name should complete. This command should start the installation script that is in the VirtualBox-3.0.12-54655-Linux_x86.run file you downloaded.

This is the hard way. There are two possible easier ways to execute a command from within MC. First, move the cursor to the file you want to run. Then press enter. If permissions are correct, and the path allows, the file will be executed.

If the path is not correct (often the case, since Linux does not normally include the current directory in path), the other option is to enter './' on the MC command line (don't press CTRL-O first and don't use quotes around the './'). Then press the ALT key and the Enter key at the same time. MC will fill in the file name for you. Press return, and away you go. When the command completes, the MC panes will return. Pressing CTRL-O then will allow you to see any output from the command that has been executed.

Smiley MC really is a wonderful option for lazy people.....

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:41:00 pm »

That, plus the parent(s) has to shell out for Windows, and a machine new enough to run it.  I suspect this is no problem for pottzie or for others on this forum, but what about families whose kids are on the free school lunch program? Or whose parents can't afford internet?  Most of the children never_stop_learning's Computers for Kids program deals with fall into that category.

We're getting pretty far off topic here, so I hope we won't continue.

A heavy multimedia application won't run on a resuscitated doorstop regardless of what OS is on it. The question is, should schools not use multimedia applications because a student here and there may not have the equipment to run them? In some schools you can be sure every student has, or could have, a computer up to the job. In schools with a less privileged student population, we hope administrators and teachers would be realistic and not expect students to do assignments requiring systems they can't afford. Many schools have computer labs for student use. Perhaps students without adequate computers could do assignments there.
--GrannyGeek

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 09:43:42 pm »

GrannyGeek.

I'm not as certain as you that this is off-topic, but I will defer to your judgment.

Thanks for the comments.  I suppose pottzie can mark this thread "solved."

John

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

I posted a week or so back about downloads, and got some good advice that I promptly ignored. Vector wound up working so well I didn't need to open the downloads, and I let them sit in a file while I enjoyed that fact that everything was working, and didn't bother with it. Well, we all know that's not going to last too long, right?
 So my daughter gets a school assignment, for band, telling (actually ordering, nazi style) that she hook up with a program called SmartMusic. It downloads music, the kids record it (with webcam and microphone) as an email that they can forward to the teacher. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles, and it don't do no damn linux, by gawd! No way Jose!
 So I'm attempting to open up and run VirtualBox (so I can install Satan and run it in Vector). I also have a tar.gz file that looks like it'd be nifty to go with the webcam that suddenly works after I accidently hit a button in GSlapt that updated my system.
 Per the instructions in http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10889.0 I was able to log in as root, did the "su" bit, OK, now it's time to open 'er up and let things rip. I'm logged in as root, in /home/vl/Downloads, so I just type the name of the file I want and it says command not found. Probably because I didn't actually give a command, just assumed that the computer would read my mind and know what I wanted. So I tried "cnfg" (seemed like as good a guess as any), still no dice. So how do I tell the nice computer that I want to install the program? And is there something that lets me or the computer that I'm about to unwrap pandora's box and open a new chapter of dependency hell in the process? Ubuntu teaches us well.
 The other program is a tar.gz, so I thought "Well, at least I've seen those." But tar xvfz got me nowhere. As long as I'm asking stupid questions, I might as well go for 100.
 Anybody want to attempt to answer this? I don't know if I would myself, if I knew how, but for those with the patience of job, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. 

I googled 'smartmusic wine linux' and found the following thread over at the ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1056710

According to the above referenced thread, that the latest versions of smartmusic and wine work together.....

Wine is in the Vector repos so it seems like this may be another option for you to explore.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: